Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Welcome back to school!
- The first Parent Association Meeting is this Monday evening, August 22nd from 6:30-7:30 p.m. in St. Dominic Hall. This is the most important meeting of the year!
- Pick up your Raffle Tickets
- Get the 2016-17 HRA Family Directory
- Sign-up for Share Hour opportunities
- Meet the Parent Association Board & faculty
- Review HRA’s methods of communication & using Sycamore
- Overview of the calendar
- Babysitting provided
- The new Sycamore mobile app for parents and students is up and running! You can check your child’s progress from your smart phones and tablets. Log
- The deadline for students wearing their full proper uniform is September 15th. Schoolbelles receives most of their orders at this time of year. If there is anything you still need to order for your child’s uniform, please order it right away!
- Upper School students who arrive at school between 7:00 & 7:40 a.m. are supervised in the St. Lucy classroom this year. They need to enter from the east side of the St. Bosco Bldg.
- HRA is happy to welcome back Mrs. Ginger Holder as our After School Care supervisor.
- Miss Therese Syren is also returning as our Learning Lab teacher. The after school Learning Lab is a great place for students to develop the good habits of completing their homework every day.
- We are also happy to introduce the new HRA Athletic Director, Jacob Raygor. Many of you will recognize him as our soccer coach of last year.
- AFTERNOON PICK-UP SUGGESTIONS – There are two locations for picking up students: The east parking lot, which spans from Fireweed Ln. to 25th and the front “horse shoe” lot. Our new fence has a gate next to the St. Bosco Bldg. so that students can meet their parents’ vehicles in front of the Upper School without walking through the parking lot. We are hoping that this will not only be safer for elementary students, but also allow for a smoother pick-up process for parents.
- We have adopted a new lunch schedule. Middle School students will have their own lunch period separate from the high school. Since there will only be one teacher supervising Middle School lunch, 7th & 8th grade students will no longer be allowed to go to the coffee kiosk during lunch. Middle School students are at such a pivotal stage in their physical development, that it is also extremely important that they eat healthy meals throughout the day, rather than the sweets and caffeine offered by the coffee kiosk. This is also a perfect time in your Middle School students’ lives to learn the habit of packing nutritious lunches for themselves.
- The HRA community is praying for Duncan and her family while she is in the hospital on bedrest until her daughter, Moira Deborah, is born. There is a Meal Train for the family while Mrs. Duncan is in the hospital.
- Thank you all for making the first week of school so wonderful!
- There are so many volunteers that helped us make the campus ready to receive you by helping this summer: The Beigels, the Grandels, the Perssons, the Gonzales, the Stockards, the O’Hanleys, the Reyes, the Cedillos, the O’Neills, the Koops, the Irvings, the Stephens, the Roses, Betts, Mr. Sanchez, Mr. Murray, Mr. Taylor, Mikael Hilario (7), Matthew Lastimoso (12), Stephen Woyte (11) & his scout troup, and many others. Thank you.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY 8/15: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!
- MONDAY 8/15: Morning Assembly –
- Miss Neumayr welcomed everyone back to school. It was a pleasure to see so many parents join us for our first Morning Assembly.
- Miss Neumayr gave a quick overview of the changes in rules and procedures for the year as well as the plan for the week.
- All the new students and teachers for this year came on stage to be introduced. Our new teachers are: Miss Eleanor Logsdail in 3rd Grade, Mrs. Oriele Kinder in Music first semester, Miss Sarah VanLadegen and Fr. Mark Francis Manzano O.P. in the Upper School.
- MONDAY 8/15: Mr. Mark Francis Manzano said Mass for K-12 in St. Dominic Hall in celebration of the Feast of the Assumption of Mary, which fell on the first day of school, though it abrogated to Sunday.
- FRIDAY 8/19: We closed our first week of school with an afternoon of K-12 Bonding Activities at Eastchester Park. The Upper School walked to and from the park together while Lower School students rode the buses. Miss Neumayr introduced every student as they were assigned two to three special Campus Friends in other grades for the purpose of helping each other adjust to the new school year. All the campus friends were assigned to one of eight teams to work together at building shoe towers, marshmallow-toothpick towers, and a game in which the students of various ages and sizes had to stand up together, back to back while they kept their arms linked. Students enjoyed cookies at the end, just before returning to school. It was great fun!
- FRIDAY 8/19: HRA Soccer Game at Kinkaid – The results will be reported at the Morning Assembly.
- SATURDAY 8/20: HRA Soccer Game in Talkeetna – The results will be reported at the Morning Assembly.
RAYGOR’S SPORTS PAGE:
Coed Prep Soccer: Holy Rosary Academy v Delta Junction – 8/18/2016
Holy Rosary Academy 2 – Delta Junction 1
Holy Rosary Academy (the 2015 state runner ups) defeated Delta Junction (the 2015 state champions) 2-1 at Kincaid in their season opener this evening. Delta Junction’s Tanner Michie scored the first goal in the middle of the first half, assisted by Joseph Mock. Holy Rosary’s Zachary Smith tied up the game early on in the second half, assisted by Jake Siebs.
In the last few minutes of a very back-and-forth second half, Zachary Smith scored his second goal of the game, Jake Siebs with his second assist – clinching the victory for Holy Rosary.
Holy Rosary is coached this year by Jacob Raygor and Trae Pitts.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY 8/22: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
- MONDAY 8/22: 1st PA Meeting – 6:30-7:30 p.m. in St. Dom’s
- TUESDAY 8/23: Lower School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m.
- TUESDAY 8/23: Soccer Game at Kinkaid, 4 p.m.
- THURSDAY 8/25: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m.
- THURSDAY 8/25: 2nd Grade field trip to the Campbell Creek Science Center
- FRIDAY 8/26: Upper School Joseph Day – Students will wear their dress uniforms for a Science Fair introduction & rosary making.
- FRIDAY 8/26: Kindergarten & 1st Grade Retreat at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral – Now that students have made Campus Friends in other grades, they will have an opportunity to get to know their classmates as fellow children in Christ.
- FRIDAY 8/26: 6th Grade Retreat at St. Andrew parish.
- FRIDAY 8/26: Soccer Game at Kinkaid, 4 p.m.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Archbishop Roger L. Schwietz OMI will say his year-opening Mass for HRA on Thursday, September 1st.
- NO SCHOOL on Monday, September 5th in observance of LABOR DAY.
- Picture Day – Student portraits will be taken in Tuesday, September 6th.