10 APRIL 2015
- Christ is risen! The faculty and staff of Holy Rosary Academy would like to wish you a very happy Easter. Indeed, he has risen.
- Congratulations to 5th grader, Luke O’Hanley, who received the sacraments of initiation and First Communion during the Easter Vigil at Holy Family Co-Cathedral.
Please take note – the PayPal button on the Centurion page of the HRA website, hraak.com is functioning properly again. At this point, the PayPal link is only positioned to accept Centurion donations.
- TUESDAY: “Monday Morning Assembly” – We welcomed prospective student, Jasmine R, who visited Kindergarten for the morning.
- TUESDAY: There was no elementary Mass this week due to the demands upon the priests during the Easter Octave.
- WEDNESDAY: SAFE ENVIRONMENT Training: Mr. Fleming visited classes throughout the day to give the annual diocesan Safe Environment training for students.
- THURSDAY: All-school Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall – Thank you, Fr. Hilander, for coming to say Mass for us in spite of your cold.
- Friday, April 10, 2015 1:27pm: Joseph Anthony Schirda was born! The new Schirda baby came into the world weighing 8lbs. 15.7 oz. He is 22 in. with a 35 cm head circumference. Both little Schirda children are under the pediatric care of HRA’s own Dr. Tappel. Welcome to the world, little Joseph Anthony.
- FRIDAY: Upper school Community Service was lighter than normal this month due to Thesis practice and drama rehearsals. We appreciate everyone who sacrificed their service time to work on important projects and we thank everyone who worked extra hard with smaller teams of students. Our thanks also go out to the following parent volunteers: Mrs. Gonzales, Mr. Patton, and Mrs. Doherty.
- FRIDAY-SATURDAY: The 5th – 8th grade in-door soccer team started their first game of the final tournament of the season at 5:00 p.m. Friday evening. The championship game is slotted for 6:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- FRIDAY-SATURDAY: The track team was excused from classes Friday for the first track meet of the season.
- MONDAY 4/13: Monday Morning Assembly
- TUESDAY 4/14: Junior Thesis Defense* from 1:00-3:00 p.m. – Arianna Fouch, Heather Seibs & Joseph Kemper
- TUESDAY 4/14: Lower School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 P. M. with Fr. Fisher. Parents are always welcome to join us for Masses.
- WEDNESDAY4/15: Junior Thesis Defense from 1:00-3:00 p.m. – Caitriona McMorrow, Sarah Lucas & Monica Klump
WEDNESDAY 4/15: Senior Thesis Defense from 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Anne-Marie Droege & Anna Jemmings
- THURSDAY 4/16: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 P. M. Parents are always welcome to join us for Masses.
THURSDAY 4/16: Junior Thesis Defense from 1:00-3:00 p.m. – Patrick Droege & Richard Maloy
- THURSDAY 4/16: Senior Thesis Defense from 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Victoria Zipay & Jessica Smith
- FRIDAY 4/17: Junior Thesis Defense from 1:00-3:00 p.m. – Therese Knox & Sang Nguyen
- FRIDAY 4/17: Senior Thesis Defense from 6:00-9:00 p.m. – Lee Cookson, Robert Kemper & Karina Biegel
*Note on Thesis: All theses will be held in St. Dominic’s Hall.
The Holy Rosary Academy Thesis Defense consists of a formal public reading of a paper written by the students in the same format used by St. Thomas Aquinas in his Suma Theologica. Each paper opens with a yes/no question on a moral, philosophical or theological topic. The students acknowledge opposing views on their topic while presenting their own conclusions, crediting sources that have helped to shape their opinion. The papers delineate the logical progress of their arguments to include definitions, distinctions and syllogisms. They then address the opposing views once more and restate their conclusions. After reading the papers students answer questions from the audience. The Senior Defense includes a panel of professionals from outside the Holy Rosary community.
- FRIDAY 4/17: Miss Verreux’s 1st grade class will enjoy a field trip delivering them to the Food Pantry.
- FRIDAY 4/17: Annual Senior-Faculty Dinner at Fiori d’Italia – Each year, upon completion of the theses, the faculty hosts a dinner party for the senior class with our Dominican chaplains as honored guests.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- CORRECTION TO THE CALENDAR: The Festival of Poetry & Song has been rescheduled to THURSDAY, APRIL 30TH rather than Friday, May 1st. The location remains St. Patrick’s Deacons Hall and the arrival time for students remains 6:30 p.m.
- ATTENTION FAMILIES! – CENTURION FUND RAISER:
The administration is preparing the second round of Centurion mailings. This is a wonderful time to submit new contacts for HRA’s annual pledge drive.
- We are beginning to gear up for the annual Greek & Roman Festival on Friday, April 24th. Parents interested in helping with this event can contact Robyn Woyte firstname.lastname@example.org or Ingrid Carlson. Details related to the event schedule and potluck will go home with your children after the Easter Break.
- The Alaska Visitor Industry Charity Walk is scheduled for Friday, May 8th. HRA has formed a team again this year. This very important Parent Association fundraiser is a fun-filled evening event where families can socialize and be active. On-line registration information is available at this link: http://alaskacharitywalk.org/anchorage-charity-walk.html . We need a Team Leader who can help organize team walkers before and during the event. Karin Owens can provide guidance to the Team Leader. Anyone interested, please contact Robyn Woyte: email@example.com or the HRA Front Office.
- Supporters of the new Radio Station may be interested in seeing a recording of Mario Bird’s performance from the La Bella Brigata Dinner on Thursday, March 19th. The 25 minute clip can be viewed on YouTube at: https://youtu.be/eRYf433DPBQ