Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
- We need to remind everyone how important it is to sign in at the office any time you come on campus between 8:00 a.m. and school dismissal at 3:10 p.m.
- John Lopetrone, a local 4th Degree Knight of Columbus, gave HRA an opportunity to write Christmas cards to elderly veterans of Anchorage. We are grateful for this community service opportunity. The students enjoyed writing messages and decorating the cards.
- The large Advent Giving Tree stands in the Kolbe Lobby. There is also a smaller Advent Giving Tree in the Bosco foyer. All are invited to bring gloves, hats, socks, and scarves to decorate these trees. The decorations will be donated to Claire House after the close of the semester.
- Kinney, the Petrash family, the Furby family, the Ford family and Miss DiCiero for their help in transporting, setting up, and taking down the risers, chairs, and tables for the Festival of Lessons and Carols.
- Tappel, Mrs. Marquez, Mr. & Mrs. Sanchez, Mrs. Knox, Mrs. Watson, and Mrs. Rendon for their help setting up, serving, and cleaning up at the Lessons & Carols reception.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY 12/7: The Morning Assembly – The following announcements were made:
- We welcomed a new freshman, Peter Anderson, to the student body.
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling Team was well represented at the tournament in Glennallen last weekend. Michael Lucas (10) placed first in his weight category with a 4-0 record. Thomas Biegel (9) placed 3rd in his weight category with 2 wins.
- Our 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Williams, defended her Master’s Thesis as APU on Saturday, December 5th.
- Junior, Matthew Lastimoso, was confirmed at Holy Cross parish at the Saturday vigil Mass on December 5th. Congratulations Matthew!
- TUESDAY 12/8: Everyone enjoyed a restful day off for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
- WEDNESDAY 12/9: Archbishop Roger Schwietz visited the campus in the morning in order to bless the beautiful mosaic made by Mrs. Pearce and the current 8th grade class two years ago, Our Lady of the Rosary. We were especially lucky that our new Marian Statue, donated by a family from St. Nicholas of Myra parish, arrived in time to be blessed as well. All students gathered together in the Kolbe lobby to observe the blessing and hear the Archbishop speak briefly about the 50th anniversary of the second Vatican Council and the Jubilee Year of Mercy on December 8th. (Pope Francis’ prayer, read by the Archbishop, can be found on the “Documents” tab of the HRA Sycamore School Home page.)
- WEDNESDAY 12/9: The Upper School followed a special schedule, having all of their classes in the morning in order to rehearse for the Festival of Lessons & Carols with the Lower School in the afternoon. We are grateful to upper school boys, Michael Lucas, Jacob Rogers, Drew Benton, Matthew Lastimoso, Forrest Rose, Joseph Bjelland, and Thomas Biegel for helping bring the concert risers out of storage.
- THURSDAY 12/10: Fr. Mark Francis said Mass for the Upper School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you Fr. Mark Francis.
- THURSDAY 12/10: The Festival of Lessons & Carols was a tremendous success. We are very proud of all the students who sang and played so beautifully. Special acknowledgement goes to Duncan for all of her hard work and thoughtful planning, Mr. Duncan for organ accompaniment, directing the Bell Choir, and making the lovely programs, Dr. Walters and Miss Evans for their delightful flute duet with the K-6 singers, student readers: Monica Klump (12), Joshua Fouch (5), Psalm Goorchenko (6), Drew Benton (10), Arabella Allen (4), Ashley Stephens (8), and Richard Maloy (12), vocal soloists: Arianna Fouch (12), John Lastimoso (9), and Therese Knox (12), the new Bell Choir for their first official performance, and Fr. Mark Francis for leading us all in the closing prayer. We thank all of the parents, family, friends, and guests who attended the event. Your support makes all the difference.
- FRIDAY 12/4: Upper School Joseph Day – Students spent the afternoon decorating the campus for Gaudete week. We would like to thank sophomores: Atlin Bell, Silas Cook, Michael Lucas, and Forrest Rose for helping Miss Neumayr and freshman, Joseph Bjelland, take the decorations out of storage on Thursday morning. Seniors, Arianna Fouch and Monica Klump, juniors, Matthew Lastimoso and Mary Tappel, and freshmen, Joseph Bjelland and Andrew Cookson, led fellow students in decorating St. Dominic’s, St. Bosco, and St. Kolbe buildings.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY 12/14: Morning Assembly at 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- TUESDAY 12/15: Elementary Mass with Fr. Brosamer in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m.
- WEDNESDAY 12/16: The HRA Board of Trustees meeting has been rescheduled to Wednesday, December 16th from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m.
- WEDNESDAY 12/16: Pizza Day
- WEDNESDAY 12/16: Upper School students will take exams for Mary Classes. There will be no guided study halls built into the schedule this year and all exams will take place over two days.
Wednesday Exam Schedule:
- 8:00 – 8:05 Prayer in Period 1
- 8:05 – 9:35 Exam for Period 1
- 9:38 – 10:07 Homeroom
- 10:10 – 11:40 Exam for Period 2
- 11:40 – 12:40 Lunch in St. Bosco
- 12:40 – 2:10 Exam for Period 3
- 2:20 – 3:10 Activities & Elective Period
- THURSDAY 12/10: Upper School students will take exams for Joseph Classes. There will be no guided study halls built into the schedule this year and all exams will take place over two days.
Thursday Exam Schedule:
- 8:00 – 9:30 Exam for Period 5
- 9:33 – 10:12 Snack Break in Homeroom followed by locker checks
- 10:15 – 11:00 Mass
- 11:03 – 11:10 Snack Break in Period 6
- 11:10 – 12:40 Exam for Period 6
- 12:40 – 1:10 Lunch
- 1:10 – 2:40 Exam for Period 4
- 2:45 – 3:10 Rehearsal for Friday’s Caroling Trip
- THURSDAY 12/17: Upper School Mass at 10:15 a.m. in the JPII Chapel with the Dominican chaplains.
- FRIDAY 12/18: Half Day! – All students are dismissed at 1:00p.m. This is the last day of the 2nd
- FRIDAY 12/18: The Advent Potluck Brunch in St. Dominic’s Hall from 8:00-11:00 a.m. all parents are invited please deliver potluck contributions to St. Dominic’s by 8:00 a.m. (The potluck assignments can also be found under the Documents Tab of the HRA Sycamore School Home page.)
- FRIDAY 12/18: Upper School Caroling Trip – Each year, the upper school students visit Providence Hospital and one or two friends of HRA to cheer them with Christmas carols in celebration of the coming holiday. Students will depart at 11:15 a.m. and return in time for the 1:00 p.m. dismissal.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Report cards and financial statements for the semester will be mailed home on December 29th.
- We return to school for the beginning of the 3rd Quarter on Monday, January 4th.