17 APRIL 2015
- The HRA Knights made a competitive showing against the public school teams in the first high school track meet of the season.
- The 5th-8th grade In-door soccer team played their final tournament of the season, earning the 2nd Place trophy which is on display in the St. Kolbe lobby.
- Miss Neumayr visited with Baby Joseph Anthony Schirda for the first time and has posted pictures around campus.
- MONDAY: Monday Morning Assembly
- TUESDAY: Junior Thesis Defense* Read by – Arianna Fouch, Heather Seibs & Joseph Kemper. Well done!
- TUESDAY: Thank you Fr. Fisher for coming out of retirement for the day to say Mass for the elementary school.
- WEDNESDAY: Junior Thesis Defense Read by – Caitriona McMorrow, Sarah Lucas & Monica Klump. Well done!
WEDNESDAY: Senior Thesis Defense Read by. – Anne-Marie Droege & Anna Jemmings. Our thanks to the panelists who ask such provoking questions, which were handled so deftly by the seniors.
- THURSDAY: The faculty would like to express gratitude for the extravagant luncheon! While it is difficult to give everything the praise it deserves, we enjoyed it all and wish we knew who all brought what. In particular, we wish to thank Shivani Tiwari for organizing all of the luncheons this year and taking such good care of us; Mrs. Garcia cheerfully set up with her and made lumpia; Mr. Patton brought a stack of quiches; Mrs. Metcalf made her amazing chocolate mousse; Mrs. Mitchell provided fresh fruit; Mrs. Doherty baked brownies; the Koop family brought sausage pastries; and there was so much more. Please let the office know if you brought something, so we can thank you and maybe share recipes.
- THURSDAY 4/16: Junior Thesis Defense Read by – Patrick Droege & Richard Maloy. Well done!
- THURSDAY 4/16: Senior Thesis Defense Read by – Victoria Zipay & Jessica Smith. Our thanks to the panelists who ask such provoking questions, which were handled so deftly by the seniors.
- FRIDAY 4/17: Junior Thesis Defense Read by – Therese Knox & Sang Nguyen. Well done!
- FRIDAY 4/17: Senior Thesis Defense Read by – Lee Cookson, Robert Kemper & Karina Biegel. Our thanks to the panelists who ask such provoking questions, which were handled so deftly by the seniors.
*Note on Thesis: All theses will be held in St. Dominic’s Hall.
The Holy Rosary Academy Thesis Defense consists of a formal public reading of a paper written by the students in the same format used by St. Thomas Aquinas in his Summa Theologica. Each paper opens with a yes/no question on a moral, philosophical or theological topic. The students acknowledge opposing views on their topic while presenting their own conclusions, crediting sources that have helped to shape their opinion. The papers delineate the logical progress of their arguments to include definitions, distinctions and syllogisms. They then address the opposing views once more and restate their conclusions. After reading the papers students answer questions from the audience. The Senior Defense includes a panel of professionals from outside the Holy Rosary community.
- FRIDAY: Miss Verreux’s 1st grade class delivered their cans to the Food Pantry with the help of Mr. Murray, Mr. Patton and Mrs. Nunes. Miss Verreux would also like to thank the young men who loaded the cans into the school bus: Joseph Bjelland, John Lastimoso, Thomas Biegel, Wolfgang Goorchenko, and the Chennault boys.
- FRIDAY: The faculty hosted dinner at Fiori d’Italia for the seniors and our Dominican chaplains as honored guests. So lovely. We are so proud of our accomplished seniors. Congratulations to all of you for doing so well in your theses.
- MONDAY 4/20: Monday Morning Assembly
- MONDAY 4/20: Stewardship Day – students in various grades will help to spruce up the campus in preparation for guests at the Open House on Wednesday night.
- TUESDAY 4/21: Lower School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 P. M. Parents are always welcome to join us for Masses.
- WEDNESDAY4/22: PIZZA DAY
- WEDNESDAY 4/22: OPEN HOUSE from 6:00-9:00 p.m. Parents and students are invited to earn share hours by helping greet visiting families and give tours.
- THURSDAY 4/23: Board Meeting postponed to the following Thursday.
- THURSDAY 4/23: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 P. M. Parents are always welcome to join us for Masses.
- THURSDAY 4/23: Faculty Meeting beginning at 3:30 in Kolbe bldg.
- FRIDAY 4/24: Mid-quarter grades sent home.
- FRIDAY 4/24: Greek & Roman Festival – All day event.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Dear Parents,
The Festival of Poetry and Song has been planned the entire year. The students have been working steadily toward the goal of completing their music course with this culminating concert. IT IS A MANDATORY EVENT and all are expected to attend. Unfortunately, the Principal has heard from some students that they do not intend to be there. As it is mandatory to receive the grade and part of the essential curriculum of this classical school, the Principal asks that all parents support the event and the school by being sure that your child is in attendance. Thank you very much.
ATTENTION FAMILIES! – CENTURION FUND RAISER:
The administration is preparing the second round of Centurion mailings. This is a wonderful time to submit new contacts for HRA’s annual pledge drive.
- Schedules and Potluck assignments for the Greek & Roman Festival are attached.
- Fliers and pledge forms were sent home for The Alaska Visitor Industry Charity Walk taking place on Friday, May 8th. Thank you, Rosa Salazar, for being out Team Leader this year. You can register with the Holy Rosary Academy Team at http://alaskacharitywalk.org/anchorage-charity-walk.html .
- Supporters of the new Radio Station may be interested in seeing a recording of Mario Bird’s performance from the La Bella Brigata Dinner on Thursday, March 19th. The 25 minute clip can be viewed on YouTube at: https://youtu.be/eRYf433DPBQ