6 MARCH 2015
- FRIDAY: The 5th – 8th grade In-door Soccer team played their first games of the season last Friday afternoon. The results of the four games played: 2 ties, 1 win, 1 loss.
- SATURDAY: Miss Neumayr paid a visit to the Coldiron family. Mrs. Coldiron wishes to thank everyone at HRA for their prayers and the 6th grade class in particular for the gifts for baby Caroline Marie.
- SATURDAY: Holy Rosary students participated in the Alaska State Latin Declamations for the third year in a row and distinguished themselves tremendously:
- Drew Benton took first place in Latin I, and 2nd place in the Latin culture exam.
- Stephen Woyte took first place in Latin 2.
- Therese Knox took first place in Latin 3.
- Mary Tappel took first place in AP Latin.
- MONDAY-FRIDAY: Miss Neumayr has spent the week observing classes. We are very grateful to parents for being so understanding and waiting to meet with her until after 4:00 p.m. She will be following this schedule for the rest of March and into April so that she can spend a day with each class.
- MONDAY: Monday Morning Assembly – Science Fair Awards were distributed by Mrs. Rose who has been our volunteer Science Fair Coordinator for the last several years. She noted that everyone did very well but she and the judges wanted to especially acknowledge the 6th grade projects as setting a new height for the standards of science fair projects. Awards went to:
- 6th grade – 3rd: Gary Holder 2nd: Kelly Wages 1st: Mimii Nguyen
- 7th grade – 3rd: Anndawnika Neavill 2nd: Alex O’Neill 1st: Macklen Bell
- 8th grade – 3rd: Jacinta Grandel 2nd: Felicity Hart 1st: Christopher Knox & Savio Le
- 9th grade – 3rd: Atlin Bell 2nd: Forrest Rose 1st: Drew Benton
- 10th grade – 3rd: Eric Bjelland 2nd: Michaela Medland 1st: Mary Tapple
- TUESDAY: The faculty of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School offered the Tuesday 9:00 a.m. Mass for the repose of the soul of Mr. Coldiron. We are grateful for their thoughtfulness and generosity.
- WEDNESDAY: 5th & 9th grades took the National Mythology Exam. Medalists will be announced at the Awards Ceremony on the last day of school.
- FRIDAY: Upper School – Students took the National Latin and National Greek Exams. Results of the exams will be revealed at the Awards Ceremony on the last day of school.
- FRIDAY: Upper School Stations of the Cross in the JPII chapel 11:30-Noon. The elementary grades are using the chapel throughout the day for Stations of the Cross and other Lenten prayers suited to the age of the class.
- FRIDAY: Upper School – The sophomore class provided a meatless soup and bread lunch for the rest of the upper school. This tradition has been kept up by the students during Lent for eight years now. It is quite beautiful to see the students providing meals for each other during this season of sacrifice and almsgiving.
- FRIDAY: Upper School Mary Schedule: 3rd – 6th & 7th – 12th grades alternated between:
- First Friday Adoration: Our thanks to Fr. Hilander for hearing confessions in an extended Holy Hour from 1-3 p.m.
- Assembly: Guest Speaker, Col. Lange who is a Medical Commander with the National Guard and credentialed as a diabetes and nutrition expert, gave a presentation on nutrition, particularly in relation to the problem of Type II Diabetes which is so common in this country.
- Friday, March 6th – Third Quarter ends. Progress Reports will be sent home with your students. We will mail them home for anyone who was absent.
We are greatly encouraged by the number of families who have already turned in their re-enrollment forms and fees. The office has also received a number of calls and applications from new families already. HRA continues to grow and some of our classes are anticipated to be completely full with waiting lists. In order for you to secure your child’s place in class next year, we ask you to please turn in your re-enrollment paperwork by March 15th and your Enrollment Fee by May 1st if you have not already done so.
THE SCHOOL WILL BE CLOSED FOR SPRING BREAK FROM MARCH 9TH – MARCH 13TH.
Classes will resume Monday, March 16th.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- ATTENTION NEW FAMILIES – CENTURION FUND RAISER:
- New families, please submit names and addresses of family, relatives, and friends.
- Returning families, please consider adding more names to your lists.
- HRA will send a letter on your behalf asking for donations
- As soon as $250 worth of donations from the names you supply arrives, your account is credited and your responsibility is completed.
- If the $250 donation goal is not met by May 22nd, it will be added to your tuition bill.
- CORRECTION TO THE CALENDAR: All grades will observe an in-service day on Friday, March 27th for Student Presentations. More information about Student Presentations will be sent home after Spring Break.
- Plan with your child, the best time to schedule Student Presentations. Grades K-6 will present on Friday, March 27th. Sign-up sheets will be found outside your child’s classroom. Grades 7–12 will present in the afternoons March 24th – 26th and all day on the 27th. The upper school sign-up sheet will be made available to the 12th & 11th grades on Monday, March 16th; 10th & 9th grades on Tuesday, March 17th; and 8th & 7th grades on Thursday, March 18th. Parents may come to the office on the morning of Monday, March 16th if they wish to reserve a time before students have access to the sign-up sheet