Dear Holy Rosary Academy Family and Friends,
The week was a smooth and uneventful one. The snow has come at last and brings such brightness to the darkening days.
The elementary students successfully took their SCANTRON tests in Reading, Math, and Language Arts in a newly refurbished computer lab. All went well and the scores were sent home to you via your child on Friday. The teachers have been made aware of the results and have consulted the recommendations so that they better know how to help your child succeed in the classroom. This nationally normed test helps us to know how our students are succeeding compared to students across the country. Overall, we average one to two grades above the national average. The students will take another SCANTRON test in the spring to monitor their progress. This helps us to measure our own observations against another objective source. This is the fourth year that we have used this program.
The basketball and volleyball team continue to give it their all. The boys basketball team is currently 4-1 and enjoying a successful season. The girls volleyball team played a five set competitive match against Wasilla but lost in the last set 16-14. It was a well fought effort. Go Knights.
The students all had a chance to fill in a sample ballot and experience what it is like to vote in this country. Presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, received 80% of the vote and President incumbent Barack Obama received 20% of the vote. The first through twelfth grade voted.
Congratulations and thank you to Dr. Chennault for including HRA students in her medical conference this week. Natalie Chennault, Reagan Biegel, Sang Nguyen, Monica Klump, Anisah Lorenz, Elizabeth Pope, Michael Chennault, and Jack Chennault all play acted injuries while budding EMT and emergency medical trainees checked them. I had a chance to observe the students in action and was so proud of how professionally they played traumatized patients. Monica Klump’s blood curdling screams were very realistic. What a great experience it was for these students who are interested in the field of medicine! Thank you, Dr. Chennault!
Thank you to Fr. James for hosting the junior high art class for a field trip to learn about ICONS this Tuesday. Thank you to Fr. Augustine for running such a wonderful art history class!
This Friday, my Office Assistant, Miss DiCiero, and I put together packets of information that we hope your child successfully delivered to you. In it was:
– a monthly calendar for November for your refigerator
– a sheet describing the events on your calendar
– SCANTRON results for the elementary grades 2 – 6
– picture retake and class picture ordering forms for Monday’s visit from LifeTouch
– Retreat permission slips and description for high school students grades 9-12 to be returned as soon as possible.
– Parent Association meeting agenda
My goal is to help you parents to be more easily made aware of upcoming events. Know that you may log into www.hraak.com to read my weekly blog “Prinicpal’s Corner” and click onto the online calendar to check weekly upcoming events. I have just moved both of those items to the home page of the website to make it even easier for you to click on the weekly information being transmitted home.
- Picture retakes and class pictures will be taken on Monday, November 12th beginning at 8:30 A.M. Students are to arrive in their formal uniform. The elementary will not have P.E. but rather art that day.
- The quarterly Parent Association Meeting takes place this Tuesday, November 13th at 6:30 in the Kolbe Building lobby. It will last an hour and will include a demonstration of Sycamore so that parents are more versed in how to access all the information we provide. Babysitting will be provided by three of our high school girls.
- Grades 7,8,& 9 will take the SCANTRON tests in reading, language arts, and math from Tuesday to Thursday.
- Miss Neumayr will host an Independent Schools Meeting on Wednesday, November 14th at 4:00 P.M.
- The basketball team has games on Monday and Wednesday. See the online calendar for times.
- The volleyball team has a game on Monday and a tournament on Thursday and Friday. Go Knights!
- The upper school will do their Friday community service around Anchorage on Friday afternoon.
I wish everyone a wonderful upcoming week. Drive slowly and enjoy the winter scenery.
Miss Neumayr, Principal