Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The 11th & 12th Grade students decorated the Benton’s home on Saturday, December 10th as their promised auction item. The students decorated their home with handmade ornaments and wreaths. Mr. & Mrs. Benton, Mrs. Benton’s sister & her daughter Luna, and the younger Benton children were in attendance. Former student, Maggie Benton, joined the festivities via Facetime. We would like to thank Mr. Welsh for leading the activity with Eric Bjelland (12th), Julianna Biegel (11th), Drew Benton (11th), Stephen Woyte (11th), Ciara McMorrow(11th), Gabi Holder (11th), Forrest Rose (11th), Joseph Bjeland (10th), and Mary Tappel (12th) all helping decorate, sing, and celebrate.
- Jacinta & Alec Grandel were Confirmed into the Catholic Church at St. Michael’s parish by the new archbishop. Dr. Walters was Jacinta’s Confirmation sponsor.
- There will be a special Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral on Monday, December 12th at 7:00 p.m. in honor of their patron feast day. There will be four hours of Adoration after the Mass as the parish prays for pro-life issues.
- Alumni parent, Mary Kemper, has organized a meal train for Michelle Droege and her family. She is only asking for help two nights a week, so we are hoping to help them through the rest of the school year. If you would like to help provide the family with a freezable meal for 10, log into SignUp Genius at http://www.signupgenius.com/findasignup. Use Mary Kempers email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and the code “2846”. Contact Mrs. Furby in the HRA Front Office if you have any trouble signing up.
- The Advent Potluck Brunch assignments were sent home with your children on Friday afternoon. This list can also be found in the Documents tab of the HRA Sycamore homepage.
- 5th – 8th Grade Volleyball starts in January. The sign-up sheets are posted outside the 5th grade
- Schoolbelles has launched their annual Winter Uniform Sale, now through January 7th. All items are discounted 20%-50% during this sale. Updated sale information is available at: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102302212963&ca=4aa52d41-1618-4bad-8ed1-4633a0cecb5e
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mr. Klotz, Dr. Walters, Mrs. Shoop, and Miss DiCiero for stepping in to help cover classes for Mrs. Furby and Miss Neumayr on Monday, when the office was short staffed.
- Thank you to Miss Butler for subbing in the Front Office while Mr. Taylor attended his brother’s wedding.
- Thank you to Mrs. Dixon for subbing in 3rd Grade while Miss Logsdail was sick.
- Thank you to Mrs. Furby for helping supervise students decorating the Kolbe Bldg. while Dr. Walters was not feeling well.
As we approach the Christmas Vacation, we would like to remind parents to inform Miss Neumayr if they plan to have their children miss a week or more of school. She must be very attentive to the progress students make throughout the year and judge the impact long absences will have on a child’s academic progress and ability to move on to the next grade. Your communication can help her to alert you, should she or the teachers have any concerns.
Once Miss Neumayr responds to your notification, she will advise you begin to informing your child’s teacher(s) and give them plenty of time to prepare work for your child to do while he/she is away.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 12/5: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall –
- Miss Neumayr discussed the virtue of hope in connection with the 2nd Week of Advent.
- HRA Wrestling –Thomas Biegel (10th) placed 3rd in his weight category at the Grace Grappler Tournament, while Michael Lucas (11th) won all seven of his matches over two days. Go Knights!
- Mrs. Duncan will return the 3rd week of January. Mrs. Bird hosted a baby shower for little Moira last weekend. She is growing and beautiful.
- Mrs. Kinder hopes to continue to sub and visit the campus. We thank her for all of her work with the music program this semester.
- Miss Neumayr has received so many positive responses about the Lessons & Carols performance. Thank you all for your hard work. The hand gestures that accompanied the songs by Kindergarten-2nd Grade were engaging. 3rd-6th Grades sang out louder than ever. Upper School boys and girls sang with equal strength, which does not always happen. These are all wonderful achievements. We would like to thank the Dominicans, Fr. Christopher and Fr. Dominic David for joining Fr. Mark Francis in attendance. We are grateful to Fr. Mark Francis for leading the opening prayer of the evening.
TUESDAY 12/6: The Upper School followed a Joseph Schedule so that they could enjoy the afternoon as all of HRA celebrated the Feast of St. Nicholas by attending Divine Liturgy at St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church. Fr. Mikel Sidun hosted a reception afterward in honor of the parish’s patron feast day. The children enjoyed doughnuts, ice cream, and hot chocolate. Upon return to school, the students all found gifts of candy in the shoes they left behind, treats from St. Nicholas. We would like to thank Miss Neumayr and Mr. Mason for driving the Lower School students in the busses.
THURSDAY 12/8: School was closed in observance of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Families had the opportunity to celebrate this holy day of obligation together with their parish communities.
FRIDAY 12/9: The Upper School followed a Mary Schedule and busied themselves with decorating the campus for Advent in the afternoon. We would like to thank Mr. Welsh, Mr. Mason, Mrs. Shoop, Mrs. Furby, and Miss Neumayr for supervising and guiding the students through this activity. The high school girls made the St. Bosco hallways sparkle with tinsel and wrapping paper. The high school boys filled St. Dominic’s with festive lights and decorations. The middle school students trimmed the St. Kolbe hallways with lights and greenery, including our annual Giving Tree. We will trim the tree with warm hats, scarves, mittens, and socks that will be donated to Clare House at the end of the semester.
FRIDAY 12/9: The High School Upper Classmen hosted a lovely dance in the evening. We would like to thank Mr. Welsh, Miss DiCiero, Miss Neumayr, and Mrs. Klump for chaperoning the sparkling and festive event. The students came in a variety of delightful costumes.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 12/12: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
TUESDAY 12/13: Lower School Mass with Fr. Brosamer in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 12/14: Upper School exams:
- 8:00 – 8:05 Prayer in Period 1
- 8:05 – 9:35 Exam for Period 1
- 9:38 – 10:07 Homeroom
- 10:10 11:40 Exam for Period 2
- 11:40 – 12:30 7th-12th Lunch (Pizza Day)
- 12:40 – 2:10 Exam for Period 3
- 2:20 – 3:10 Activities (Art & Forum)
WEDNESDAY 12/14: Pizza Day
THURSDAY 12/15: Upper School exams:
- 8:00 – 9:30 Exam for Period 5
- 9:33 – 9:42 Homeroom
- 9:45 –10:30 Mass in JPII with Fr. Manzano
- 10:33 – 10:40 Snack Break in Period 6
- 10:40 – 12:10 Exam for Period 6
- 12:10 – 1:10 Lunch
- 1:10 – 2:40 Exam for Period 4
- 2:45 – 3:10 Locker Check and cleaning supervised by Homeroom teachers
FRIDAY 12/16: HRA’s annual Advent Potluck Brunch will begin at 9:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. Parents are encouraged to attend. Please deliver your potluck dishes to St. Dominic’s Hall by 8:15 a.m. Lower School students will return to their classrooms for festive class activities when they finish eating.
FRIDAY 12/16: Upper School students will visit HRA benefactors on a caroling trip at 11:00 a.m. and return for the 1:00 p.m. dismissal.
FRIDAY 12/16: STUDENTS WILL BE DISMISSED AT 1:00 P.M. There will be no After School Care on this day. *Students are welcome to help
FRIDAY 12/16: The faculty and Board of Trustees will be celebrating their annual Christmas Dinner together in the afternoon. Students who would like to help decorate St. Dominic’s Hall for that event may remain on campus from 1-3 p.m.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Semester Grades will be mailed home during the Christmas Vacation.
- The school office will be open from 9:00 a.m. to Noon Tuesday-Friday during the Christmas Vacation. Please call during those times if you need to reach the HRA staff.
- School will resume on Wednesday, January 4th.
- The winter retreat for grades 6-8 at St. Therese’s Camp is currently full, but they are still taking names for the waiting list. If you are interested in this kind of opportunity for your child, please check in at stthereseak.com. Even if your child cannot attend the retreat this Dec 28-30, joining the waiting list can help the camp staff plan to make enough room for everyone at future events.