Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Schoolbelles has launched their annual Winter Uniform Sale. All items are discounted 20%-50% during this sale. See the PDF attached with the Weekly Update or click this link to the flyer for more information: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102302212963&ca=7fee8067-7a36-4c02-bdfa-5bc0827e5e91
- The Silent Auction closes November 23rd. Stop by the Front Office and ask for the Silent Auction binder to make a bid. Please note, the catalog that was emailed to parents previously shows the actual value of the item. The lowest bid amount and guaranteed bid amount are available in the Silent Auction binder.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- The Lower School won the bragging rights for most cans of vegetables collected for the Thanksgiving Blessing Food Drive. If you would like to continue to help the Food Bank of Alaska with their Thanksgiving Blessing project, grocery packs for a full Thanksgiving dinner will be distributed from 3-8 p.m. on Monday, November 21st at St. Patrick’s Deacons Hall. Volunteers are welcome. Call the parish office at 337-1538 for more details.
- Thank you to Zachary Smith (12th) for the beautiful new fence that extends the size of the Blessed Chiara Luce Badano Lower Elementary Playground. Zach chose to help HRA with this particular campus improvement for his Eagle Scout project.
- Thank you to Taylor, Mr. Manuel, and Mr. Furby for all of your work installing the new security cameras on campus. The first phase of the project is complete and we now have the ability to monitor the front campus and Kolbe Lobby on video. We appreciate their continued hard work as this project continues.
- Thank you to the 1st Grade for the beautiful Spiritual Bouquet and to Kindergarten for the lovely welcome letters sent to Archbishop Etienne.
- We congratulate Jacinta Grandel (10th) for her accomplishments, placing 3rd in the Ladies’ Junior Varsity trap shooting competition in the 2016 Jeremiah Parret Memorial Trap Tournament last weekend. Well done, Jacinta!
Picking-up Children from After School Supervision Programs:
- All students need to sign in at 3:30 p.m. and parents need to sign out of the Learning Lab and After School Care for their children. *This is particularly important during the dark months when the After Care supervisors cannot see inside vehicles well enough to recognize drivers.
- All students who are on campus after 3:30 p.m. must go to either the Learning Lab or After School Care. Students may not remain on campus unsupervised after 3:30 p.m. Students who are sent to After School Care late will still sign in and be charged as if they arrived at 3:30 p.m. Families are billed monthly for the Learning Lab and After School Care.
- Parents are encouraged to use the front parking lot and new corner gate when picking up their children from After School Supervision Programs. The side gate will be bolted at 4:30 p.m. daily.
- Children will only be released to their parents or a designated adult. Parents are asked to complete the After Care Contract designating who may pick-up their children from After School Care Programs.
- The After Care Supervisors will ask for ID from any adult they do not recognize.
- The After Care Supervisors will phone the parent if an undesignated adult attempts to pick-up a child from After School Supervision Programs.
- Students serving detention in the Learning Lab for homework demerits may not leave the Learning Lab until they are signed-out by their parents.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 11/14: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall –
- We welcomed a new 1st grader to HRA, Layla Vreeling.
- Miss Neumayr distributed gift cards to the students who had previously been recognized as top sellers for the Auction Raffle and Heads & Tails beads to show our appreciation for their efforts at the auction: Drew Benton (11th), Jacinta Grandel (10th), Bella van Tets (10th), and Savio Le (10th).
- The HRA community thanked the students who had worked so long and hard on the 2016 Presidential Election Project: Eric Bjelland (12th), Alec Grandel (12th), Stephen Woyte (11th), Gabi Holder (11th), Alexander O’Neill (10th), Jacinta Grandel (10th), Savio Le (10th), Tina Nguyen (6th), and Joshua Fouch (6th).
- Upper Elementary students were reminded to go directly to the library whenever they arrive before 7:40 a.m. without visiting their lockers. This allows the 3rd-6th grade teachers time to prepare for classes and pray together in the mornings.
- Lael Droege announced a win against Wasilla Lake for the Girls’ High School Volleyball team last week.
- The Boys’ High School Wrestling team announced three match wins for Thomas Biegel (10th) and eight match wins for Michael Lucas (11th), who now holds a 30-1 record for the season. Go Knights!
- We closed the assembly this week with an extra prayer for all of our elected leaders.
MONDAY-FRIDAY 11/14-18: 3rd Grade students took their fall SCANTRON tests in Math, Reading, and Language Arts. Test reports will be sent home as soon as all students have had the opportunity to complete their make-up tests.
TUESDAY 11/15: Class Picture Day – Our thanks go out to new elementary parent, Mrs. Vreeling, for her last minute help with Class Picture Day, organizing order forms & payments as classes posed for pictures. We are also grateful to Mr. Fouch, Mrs. Corcoran, and Mrs. Lincoln for supervising students in the morning while the faculty posed for their group picture.
TUESDAY 11/15: Fr. Roraff said Mass for the Lower School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you Fr. Roraff. We also thank the following students for their particular help in the Mass:
Altar Servers: Joshua Fouch (6th) and Mason Nguyen (5th)
Readers: Riley Smith (6th) and Alena Kelley (6th)
WEDNESDAY 11/16: Mid-quarter progress reports were sent home with your children. Please sign them and return them to your child’s teachers before Thanksgiving.
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 11/17-18:Middle School Retreat
- Ricky Shoop, the Faith Formation Director for St. Andrew parish, led the Middle School in its first ever two-day Middle School Retreat. Thank you, Mr. Shoop. We also thank Mrs. Cookson, Mrs. Corcoran, Dr. Walters, and Mrs. Furby for their help as chaperones during this retreat.
- On Thursday, the 7th & 8th grades remained on campus. Fr. Mark Francis Manzano said Mass for the Middle School in the JPII Chapel as a part of their retreat. Thank you Fr. Manzano. We also thank the following people for their particular help in the Mass:
Before and After Mass Prayer Leader: Mimii Nguyen (8th)
Reader: Emma Cookson (7th)
Cantor: Dr. Walters
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 11/17-18: The High School left Thursday morning for their annual overnight retreat at St. Theresa’s Camp in Wasilla. It was a wonderful, prayer-filled experience led by Dominican brothers, Fr. Peter Hannah O.P. and Fr. Gabriel Thomas Mosher O.P. We would like to thank the following volunteers for their help in making this special event a reality:
- Drivers: Petrash, Mrs. Sanchez, Mr. Fouch, Mrs. O’Neill, Mrs. Cookson, Mrs. Longlet, Mrs. Nakada, Mrs. Leinon, Mrs. Benton, Mr. Welsh, Mr. Mason, and Miss Neumayr
- Cooks: Berry and Mrs. McMorrow
- Chaperones: Sanchez, Mrs. Shoop, Miss Neumayr, Mr. Mason, Mr. Welsh, Mr. Klotz, and Mr. McMorrow
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 11/21: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
TUESDAY 11/22: Faculty Appreciation Luncheon
TUESDAY 11/22: All School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall with Fr. Manzano at 9:45 a.m.
WEDNESDAY 11/23: Upper School Special Schedule A & All-School Seminar
8:00 – 8:37 Period 1
8:40 – 9:17 Period 2
9:20 – 9:57 Period 3
10:00 – 10:37 Period 4
10:40 – 11:17 Period 5
11:20 – 11:57 Period 6
12:00 – 12:45 7-12 Lunch
12:45 – 1:00 Homeroom
1:00 – 3:10 All-School Seminar
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 11/24-25: NO SCHOOL FOR THE THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- The Upper School will follow Special Schedule A on Wednesday, November 30th.
- The Festival of Lessons & Carols is Friday, December 2nd at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. Students
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Thursday, December 8th in observance of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
- The last day of the 2nd Quarter is Friday, December 16th.