Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Lovely beaded rosaries in the school colors are available for purchase in the Front Office. Full size rosaries are $20.00 and single decade rosaries are $10.00. *The single decade rosaries are currently sold out. We hope more will be available soon.*
- We have only received about ten capital campaign surveys back from parents. Please turn yours in by Tuesday so we can make our report to the Board of Trustees at the monthly meeting this coming Thursday, September 15th.
- Time to sell Krispy Kreme! – The Krispy Kreme fundraiser for the HRA Parent Association is in the pre-sale phase right now! All order forms are due Wednesday, September 21st for doughnut distribution on Friday, September 23rd.
- Now is a perfect time to buy a table or coordinate your seats for the HRA Gala Auction on Saturday, October 15th! Spend the evening with friends at your table. Contact Jacki Rose or Miss DiCiero with special requests for seating at the auction.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- We would like to thank Mrs. Holder for subbing in the Front Office on Friday.
STUDENT ACTIVITIES/ATHLETIC ELIGIBILITY
Holy Rosary Academy encourages its students to participate in extracurricular activities and athletic programs offered through our school. These programs are meant to afford students enjoyment and edification. They are, however, secondary to our academic program at HRA. Therefore, students whose academic performance falls below school expectations will be placed on academic probation. These students may neither practice nor play in games until the probation is lifted.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 9/05: We hope everyone enjoyed the extra day with their families on Labor Day.
TUESDAY 9/06: Morning Assembly –
- Everyone assembled in the St. Kolbe Lobby while the LifeTouch photographer set-up St. Dominic’s Hall for Picture Day.
- Miss Neumayr spoke to everyone about the canonization of St. Theresa of Calcutta (Sunday, September 4th).
- Everyone was happy to hear the announcement that our own Mr. Welsh and Miss Evans are engaged to be married. They are currently planning a summer wedding in Minnesota.
- Miss Neumayr went over the plan for the week and thanked everyone for such a harmonious first three weeks of school.
TUESDAY 9/06: Picture Day – Once again, the LifeTouch photographer commented on how impressed he was with Holy Rosary’s students. We would like to thank all the students for being on their best behavior and making this the smoothest running Picture Day our photographer and volunteers have ever experienced. We would also like to thank elementary parents, Mrs. Cagle and Mrs. Cedillo, for their help keeping the students organized and polished for their pictures.
WEDNESDAY 9/07: 1st Grade enjoyed a field trip to the William Jack Hernandez Sport Fish Hatchery. Thank you, Mr. Patton, for joining the class as a parent chaperone and bus driver.
WEDNESDAY 9/07: BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT –
- We would like to thank Miss Evans for bringing The Horn Doctor to help promote the HRA Elementary Band with lots of instruments on display for students to try. Riotous sounds of horns and laughter filled the St. Kolbe Lobby all evening.
- The abbreviated Upper School simulation ran from 7:00-8:05 p.m. Teachers and parents were able to chat together briefly about each class. After the simulation, parents and teachers chatted together until about 8:30 p.m.
- Thank you to Miss Syren and Holder for coming to represent the after school programs as well. Thank you so much
- We would like to thank elementary parent, Sanchez, for running the Parent Association table in the Kolbe Lobby. Parents were able to pick up their raffle tickets and sign-up for auction tasks between conversations with teachers.
- We would also like to thank alumnus parent, Owens, for coming to promote Trail Life, a Christian scouting program that is an alternative to the Boy Scouts.
- We thank everyone who attended Back to School Night.
THURSDAY 9/08: Fr. Mark Francis Manzano, O.P. celebrated an All-school Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. We would like to thank the following people for their special participation:
- Altar servers: Macklen Bell (9th) and Wolfgang Goorchenko (9th)
- Readers: Amber Salvadore (8th) and Angel Beaty (8th)
- Cantor: Dr. Walters
- Thank you, Fr. Manzano.
THURSDAY 9/08: The 5th Grade Retreat was postponed.
THURSDAY 9/08 – FRIDAY 9/09: The High School Soccer team traveled to Healy for the TriValley Soccer Tournament. *See Mr. Raygor’s Sports Page below for results of the tournament.* Our thanks to team parent, Mrs. Bell, for procuring two 15 passenger vans for the team to ride up to Healy for the tournament. Thanks also to Mrs. O’Neill and Mrs. Siebs for driving the vans to Healy.
FRIDAY 9/09: The 1st Grade went on a double field trip, visiting Pyrah’s Pioneer Peak Farm and the Reindeer Farm in Palmer.
FRIDAY 9/09: The 4th Grade enjoyed a retreat at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral led by Elise Zajicek, Youth Minister for St. Benedict parish. We would like to thank Mr. John Fleming for giving tours of the Co-cathedral with its new artwork again this week.
FRIDAY 9/09: Upper School Mary Schedule – 7th-12th grades gathered in their homerooms after lunch to work on their auction projects and make rosaries. We would like to thank Miss DiCiero for her help with the Jr. High Girls Homeroom in their auction project. We would also like to commend Mimii Nguyen (8th), Jacinta Grandel (10th), and Gabi Holder (11th) for their productive efforts at making rosaries.
RAYGOR’S SPORTS PAGE:
9/8, HRA, 4 – Tri Valley, 2.
Holy Rosary played Tri Valley at their home this evening. HRA started their goal scoring tally in the 8th minute of the first half – junior Jake Siebs served a ball in off a corner which met senior Zachary Smith’s head, who placed it into the top corner of the net.
The second goal came in the 13th minute of the first half from senior Mary Tappel, who played a ball into space for junior Atlin Bell to run on to, who beat multiple defenders and smashed the ball into the back of the net.
In the 38th minute of the first half, senior defender Matthew Lastimoso played a long ball into space for junior Jake Siebs to run on to, who cooly slotted the ball into the side of the net.
After being 3-0 down at half, Tri Valley HS scored two goals in the second half, one off a loose ball in the box in the 8th minute, the other off a corner in the 26th minute.
In the 38th minute of the second half, junior Drew Benton played a ball from Holy Rosary’s defensive-third to Jake Siebs, who was standing a little past the half line. Jake, noticing that the goal keeper was a little too far off their line, took a chance and it paid off; scoring his second goal of the game from about 45 yards out.
9/9 HRA, 8 – Lumen Christi, 0
Holy Rosary Academy played Lumen Christi this morning in Healy at the Tri-Valley tournament, winning 8-0 and subsequently winning the group.
- Jake Siebs – 3
- Zach Smith – 3
- Jacob Rogers – 1
- Lumen Christi – own goal
- John Lastimoso – 1
- Matthew Lastimoso – 1
- Michael Lucas Jr. – 1
- Zachary Smith – 2
- Mary Tappel – 1
- Eric Bjelland – 1
- 5th minute: Junior Jake Siebs played a ball to senior Zachary Smith, who placed the ball in to the top corner of the goal from the outside of the 18 yard box.
- 14th minute: Zach was brought down in the box when attacking the goal, Jake scored the penalty kick.
- 21st minute: Jake found Zach into space, where he immediately slotted the ball into the corner of the net.
- 36th minute: Sophomore John Lastimoso played multiple 1-2 passes with Jake going up the field, Jake then turned a defender and blasted the ball into the roof of the net.
- 40th minute: Senior Mary Tappel beat multiple defenders with crafty footwork while going down line, eventually playing a dangerous ball into the box, making it very difficult for the defenders to clear the ball – resultantly scoring an owl goal.
- 10th minute: Junior Atlin Bell hit a venomous shot from outside of the box, hitting off the inside of the cross bar and coming back out, Zach cheekily lopped the ball with his head over the recovering goalkeeper and finding the back of the net.
- 14th minute: Junior Michael Lucas Jr. made a bombing run with the ball from the defense, eventually playing a very dangerous cross into the box for Jake to volley into the goal.
- 37th minute: Senior Eric Bjelland – who normally sees out the games as a goalkeeper, got some minutes as a field player. Eric won the ball at the half line and dribble the ball towards the Lumen goal, before finding junior Jacob Rogers – who got his first goal of the season.
9/10 HRA, 3 – CIA, 5: HRA falls in the semifinals
Holy Rosary played a collegial game against Cook Inlet Academy. The sportsmanship was exemplary on both sides.
CIA scored two quick goals in the first five minutes of the game, the second coming from senior Noah Leaf. In the seventh minute, Jake Siebs played the ball to Atlin Bell, who scored. The second goal came from Jake Siebs to Zach Smith, who tied the game up in the ninth minute.
In the 15th minute, CIA scored a third goal off a well-coordinated corner kick. Minutes later, junior Drew Benton threw the ball into play for Jake Siebs who dribbled past a few people to score and tie it up right at half.
In the second half, it was very neck and neck! During the last five minutes of the second half, CIA scored a fourth goal off a miscommunication between goalkeeper Eric Bjelland and Andrew Cookson… And with one minute left in the game, senior Matthew Lastimoso had an accidental handball called against him in the box – resulting in a penalty kick. Eric Bjelland made the initial save but CIA’s Noah Leaf was able to score the rebound.
Eric Bjelland recorded 12 saves. CIA’s goalkeeper recorded 10 saves.
HRA finished 3rd in the Tri Valley a Tournament
The HRA Soccer Team looks forward to the Regional Tournament at the end of the month. Go Knights!
THE WEEK TO COME:
MONDAY 9/12: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
MONDAY 9/12: 3rd Grade will go on a field trip to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and hike the Winner Creek Trail in Girdwood, where they will practice identifying plants and animal signs.
MONDAY 9/12: Soccer Game – HRA Knights @ Wasilla Lake, 6:00 p.m.
TUESDAY 9/13: Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 with Fr. Brosamer
TUESDAY 9/13: Soccer Game – HRA Knights host SuValley at Kincaid Park at 4:30 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 9/14: Mid-quarter Progress Reports will be sent home with the students. Please sign the progress reports and return them to your child’s teacher within a week.
WEDNESDAY 9/14: Faculty Meeting, 3:30 p.m.
THURSDAY 9/15: Board of Trustees Meeting, 7:00-9:00 a.m. in Miss Neumayr’s office. Please contact the Front Office if you have a concern you would like to bring to the Board.
THURSDAY 9/15: Upper School Mass with Fr. Manzano in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY 9/15: The HRA Knights host Birchwood at Kincaid Park at 5:30 p.m.
FRIDAY 9/16: Upper School Joseph Schedule – Students will wear their gym uniforms.
- 7th-12th grades will attend their 4th, 5th, & 6th period classes.
- During the Afternoon Activity, students will do community service projects on campus and around Anchorage. We are always looking for parent help with transportation and supervision for community service. Contact Carole Hart or Mrs. Furby if you would like to help.
SATURDAY 9/17: CLT Exams – Holy Rosary Academy is a test center for the Classic Learning Test. This alternative to the SAT is a computer based nationally normed college entrance exam currently accepted by 22 colleges around the country.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Faculty Appreciation Luncheon on Tuesday, September 20th
- Annual HRA Luncheon for Priests & Religious on Tuesday, September 27th. We are still in need of a coordinator for this event. We thank all of the parents who have volunteered to help with the cooking.
- Our first Pizza Day is Wednesday, September 28th.
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday, October 10th, in observance of Columbus Day.
- HRA Gala Auction on Saturday, October 15th at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Anchorage.