Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Student Presentation Week! Enjoy! – We are very excited to welcome all the parents to Student Presentations next week! This is one of the most gratifying times of the year for both parents and faculty. We have a chance to enjoy the fruits of the students’ learning. The focus of this time is to enjoy the student presentations. Conferences to discuss student progress can be scheduled for a later date. (Please help your student remember to come to their presentation in their full dress uniform. Thank you.)
- Parents may also want to stop by the Front Office while they are at school to complete their re-enrollment for next year and enjoy the $100 discount when they pay their enrollment fees. This discount is only available until March 15th.
- Please re-enroll for the 2016-2017 school year either on Sycamore or with a paper application in order to secure a spot in next year’s class. We absolutely defer to current students, but we need families to re-enroll as soon as possible because we have so much outside interest. We ask that parents at least give the front office a verbal commitment to re-enroll for the upcoming school year.
- DISCOUNT OPPORTUNITIES FOR TUITION FOR THE 2016-17 SCHOOL YEAR:
- Early Re-enrollment – Save $100 per family by re-enrolling by March 15th, 2016.
- New Family Referral – Receive a $100 discount for your family tuition when you refer a new family that enrolls in HRA for the 2016-17 school year. This discount applies to each new family you have recruited.
- Full Tuition Payment by June 15th, 2016 – Save $250 per family if you pay your tuition in full by June 15th, 2016.
- Full Tuition Payment before the start of the 2016-17 school year – Save $100 per family when you pay the full tuition before August 15th, 2016.
- Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish Mission – SEAS invites HRA families to consider attending their Lenten Parish Mission with guest speaker, Dcn. Harold Burke-Sivers Monday, March 7th-Thursday, March 10th. Talks are scheduled for 10:00 a.m. & 7:00 p.m. each day.
- Monday’s topic – “Rich in Mercy: Finding Healing in God’s Mercy”
- Tuesday’s topic – “My Flesh for the Life of the World: The Eucharist and Evangelization”
- Wednesday’s topic – “Catholic Families: The Model for a Culture of Love and Life”
- Thursday – Youth & Young Adult Night – “Meeting Jesus in the Beauty and Truth of the Catholic Faith”
- All students in the 5th through 12th grades are invited to join Coach Russell for the Track season, starting March 2nd, 2016.
- HRA is having an elementary Scholastic Book Fair in St. Dominic’s Hall from Monday, March 7th – Friday, March 11th. Parents can shop after school and on Friday when they come in for presentations for books that will entertain a variety of tastes and interests. SHARE HOUR OPPORTUNITY: we are looking for parents to help supervise the Book Fair. We would like to keep it open from 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday, Noon – 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, and 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. on Friday. If you are able to help, please contact Robyn Woyte, the Share Hour Co-ordinator.
- Please observe the Bus Parking Signs in the east parking lot.
- We would like to thank Stankewich, our campus handyman, and his assistant, Tony, for all of their hard work around campus on Fridays and weekends. They have done a wonderful job fixing lockers and adding peek holes to the office doors this week.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY 2/29: Morning Assembly – Announcements:
- The relic of St. Pius X that the local chapter of the Catholic Daughters of the Americas has asked us to keep in our chapel has returned after being verified as a first-class relic. Miss Neumayr read the certificate of verification and explained the Church teaching on the veneration of saints and relics. Please consider visiting the relics in our chapel.
- Julianna Biegel (10), Christopher Knox (9), and Egypt Patterson (10) received return letters from the politicians they contacted as a part of a class letter writing campaign of the Upper School regarding the proposed state legislation on euthanasia.
- HRA Science Fair ribbons were presented to the top three science projects in each grade by the volunteer parent science fair coordinator, Rose.
- The entire 5th grade class was commended for its voluntary participation in the HRA Science Fair.
- 1st Place ribbons were awarded to: Joshua Fouch (5), Jonas Knox (6), Mary Alice Petrash (7), Sophia Rose (8), Felicity Hart (9), Atlin Bell (10)
- 2nd Place ribbons were awarded to: Madison Metcalf (5), Grace Corcoran (6), Angel Beaty (7), Macklen Bell (8), Alexander O’Neill (9), Michael Lucas (10)
- 3rd Place ribbons were awarded to: Tina Nguyen (5), Emma Cookson (6) & Zoya Goorchenko (6), Yordana Sidun (7), Anndawnika Neavill (8), Savio Le (9), Lael Droege (10)
- Congratulations to senior, Sang Nguyen, who is currently playing volleyball on the men’s Alaska Team at the Bi-Annual Arctic Winter Games in Greenland. Thank you, Klump, for organizing his send-off party on Thursday at lunch.
- TUESDAY3/1: The Lower School was very happy to see Fr. Brosamer back for Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer.
- WEDNESDAY 3/2: The Greek 1 class took the National Greek Examination, produced by the American Classical League each year. High school and college students from over 160 schools & universities in the United States and around the world take a multiple choice test to show their knowledge of Ancient Greek language and culture. Award Certificates for high scoring students will be presented at the end of year award ceremony on the last day of school. Thank you, Miss Forbes, for proctoring the exam.
- WEDNESDAY 3/2: The Lower School performed admirably when the heating system in Kolbe boiled over during maintenance, emitting a cloud of steam with a very strong smell. The building was evacuated in less than 30 seconds when the fire alarm went off. Classes prayed a rosary in the JPII Chapel or in the music room until the Anchorage Fire Department assured us that everything was safe and the students could return to their classes. Repairs to the heating system were completed without further incident.
- THURSDAY 3/3: The Upper School attended Mass in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Dominic David, who gave an inspiring homily on the 4th Thank you, Fr. Dominic David.
- FRIDAY 3/4: End of 3rd Teachers will distribute Lower School Report Cards and Upper School Progress Reports next week at the end of each student presentation.
- FRIDAY 3/4: 8th grade provided meatless soup and bread for their fellow students in the Upper School during lunch as an act of charity and fellowship for this Friday of Lent. The 8th graders graciously served fellow students & faculty and went without any themselves after the food ran out. They all had only bread for lunch without any complaint.
- FRIDAY 3/4: Upper School 1st Friday Schedule – The students prayed the Stations of the Cross as a part of their monthly Adoration time.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY 3/7: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
- MONDAY 3/7: Upper School Joseph Day Schedule – 7th through 12th grades dismissed at Noon.
- MONDAY 3/7: Upper School Presentations – Students will make their presentations for their parents, English teachers, and other available teachers by appointment between 1:00 and 3:30 p.m.
- TUESDAY 3/8: Upper School Latin students will take the National Latin Examinations in St. Dominic’s Hall during the 2nd
- TUESDAY 3/8: Lower School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m. with Fr. Brosamer.
- TUESDAY 3/8: Upper School Mary Day Schedule – 7th through 12th grades dismissed at Noon.
- TUESDAY 3/8: Upper School Presentations – Students will make their presentations for their parents, English teachers, and other available teachers by appointment between 1:00 and 3:30 p.m.
- WEDNESDAY 3/9: Upper School Joseph Day Schedule – 7th through 12th grades dismissed at Noon.
- WEDNESDAY 3/9: Upper School Presentations – Students will make their presentations for their parents, English teachers, and other available teachers by appointment between 1:00 and 3:30 p.m.
- THURSDAY 3/10: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 10:15 a.m. with one of the Dominican chaplains.
- TUESDAY 3/8: Upper School Mary Day Schedule
- THURSDAY 3/10: NOON DISMISSAL – Kindergarten through 12th grades dismissed at Noon for Spring Presentations.
- FRIDAY 3/11: NO CLASSES for Kindergarten-12th K-12 Spring Presentations scheduled throughout the day. Students will be given work to take home and complete for class the following Monday.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Easter Vacation will begin with Holy Thursday, March 24th. School will resume on Monday, April 4th.
- There will be another promotional HRA Open House on Wednesday, April 6th from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- The last Parent Association Meeting will take place on Monday, April 11th from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- & Sr. Theses will take place Tuesday – Friday, April 12th – 15th.
- Kindergarten Sibling Day at Holy Rosary Academy will be on Wednesday, April 13th
- The Greek & Roman Festival will take place on Friday, April 22nd.