Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
- PARKING NOTE: We thank all of the families who are using the parking lot on the east side of the St. Bosco Bldg. when dropping-off and picking-up their students. We must, however, ask everyone to be thoughtful and leave room for dental patients to park when they are visiting Fresh Dental Care. Please do not use the five parking spaces closest to Fireweed Ln. We will be posting signs in the near future to show which parking spaces are reserved for Fresh Dental Care.
- The Elementary music classes celebrated the Feast of St. Cecilia (Patron Saint of music, November 22nd) with Mrs. Duncan on November 24th & 25th. Students enjoyed popcorn, hot apple cider, games, and holy cards in honor of the patroness of the music classroom.
- HRA students in all grades have done a wonderful job writing Christmas cards for the elderly veterans of Anchorage.
- **SHARE HOUR OPPORTUNITY: The HRA Parent Association is still looking for parents to transport the risers to and from OLG and help with set up and clean up for the reception after the concert.**
- COFFEE SHOP CONCERNS: It has come to our attention that students have been visiting the coffee shop in the parking lot between 7:00 and 7:40 a.m. rather than staying in the library. Our ability to provide student supervision in the mornings is very limited and students must remain in the library when they arrive before 7:40 a.m. The owner of the coffee shop has agreed to help HRA curb this behavior. Students will be refused service in the mornings if they are not accompanied by an adult. We would also like to remind parents how important it is for your students to have a healthy breakfast before coming to school.
- We would like to acknowledge and thank the following students for making themselves available to shovel snow and sand walkways for the rest of the winter: Alec Grandel (11), Alexander O’Neill (9), Jasser Majewsky (9), and Max Clyde (8).
- Several families have helped with HRA activities, but not logged any Share Hours. We are grateful to all of you for your support and want you to get credit for your efforts. Please log into Sycamore and enter your Share Hours. If you need any help, contact Miss DiCiero in the front office.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY 11/30: The Morning Assembly – The following announcements were made:
- Miss Neumayr read a brief passage on the history of the Advent Wreath and other common traditions in honor of the First Week of Advent.
- Christmas cards for elderly military veterans of Anchorage are due Monday, December 7th.
- MONDAY 11/30: Two officers from the Anchorage Police Department came to observe our campus Lock-Down Drill. They were very impressed with the conduct of the students and how well we implemented our plans. They also made very helpful observations and gave us good advice.
- MONDAY 11/30: The Memorial Service for Mr. Peter Biegel, grandfather of three HRA Upper School students and three HRA alumni, was held at 7:00 p.m. at St. Elizabeth Anne Seaton Catholic Church. The family is very grateful to those students and staff members who came to sing with the choir.
- TUESDAY 12/1: Fr. Brosamer said Mass for the Lower School. Thank you Fr. Brosamer.
- WEDNESDAY 12/2: The senior class sponsored a campus wide Ugly Sweater themed Spirit Day. For $3.00, students were permitted to wear their favorite “ugly sweater” instead of their uniform. This particular Spirit Day has been a hit each winter for the last couple years. Proceeds help fund the Upper School prom.
- WEDNESDAY 12/2: Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd grades went to see “Madeline and the Bad Hat” at the Anchorage Center for the Performing Arts.
- THURSDAY 12/3: Fr. Anthony said Mass for the Upper School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you Fr. Anthony.
- FRIDAY 12/4: Upper School Mary Day
- FRIDAY 12/4: All grades went down to St. Nicholas of Myra parish to participate in the Divine Liturgy in celebration of the Feast of St. Nicholas coming this Sunday. Fr. Michael Sidun treated everyone to doughnuts and hot chocolate after Liturgy. Students returned to HRA at the end of the day to find that St. Nicholas and his helpers had left candy in their shoes while the students were away.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY 12/7: Morning Assembly at 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- TUESDAY 12/8: THERE WILL BE NO SCHOOL ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 8THin honor of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. (This is a Holy Day of Obligation.)
- WEDNESDAY 12/9: Archbishop Schweitz is scheduled to come to bless the Our Lady of the Rosary mosaic at the front door of the St. Kolbe Bldg. at 9:30 a.m.
- WEDNESDAY 12/9: All grades will rehearse for the Festival of Lessons & Carrols in the afternoon from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. The Upper School will follow Special Schedule A:
- 8:00 – 8:37 Period 1
- 8:40 – 9:17 Period 2
- 9:20 – 9:57 Period 3
- 10:00 – 10:37 Period 4
- 10:40 – 11:17 Period 5
- 11:20 – 11:57 Period 6
- Noon – 12:50 Lunch
- THURSDAY 12/10: Upper School Mass at 10:15 a.m. in the JPII Chapel with the Dominican chaplains.
- THURSDAY 12/10: The Festival of Lessons & Carols will begin at 7:00 p.m. in Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral. Students are to arrive looking pressed and sharp in their formal uniforms by 6:30 p.m. Student Readers are to arrive at 6:15 p.m. SPECIAL NOTE: This event is intended to serve as an hour long prayer and will take place in the nave of the church. We ask that all audience members remember the solemnity of the night and refrain from clapping after the songs or readings. At the end, the students will exit to the lobby where we can acknowledge their efforts and enjoy a festive reception.
- FRIDAY 12/11: Upper School Joseph Day schedule – Students will be decorating the campus for Advent in the afternoon. This marks the beginning of our annual Giving Tree Mitten Drive. Students can decorate the large tree in the Kolbe Lobby with mittens, hats, scarves, and socks that will be donated to Claire House at the end of the semester.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- The 1st semester will end on Friday, December 18th. Please join us for our Annual Advent Potluck Brunch. Brunch fliers with class potluck assignments went home with each student on Friday afternoon. A copy of the potluck assignments for each grade can be found in the Documents section of the HRA Sycamore School homepage. Sign-up sheets will be posted in each classroom for families to designate particular dishes ahead of time. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. on this day.