Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- HRA will make the unsold gift certificates from the auction available for purchase in the coming weeks. Please watch for more information in a future email.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- We would like to thank elementary parents, Dixon and Mrs. Pfeifer, for watching the students in After School Care on Friday afternoon while Mrs. Holder was out sick.
ON OUR NOVEMBER CALENDAR
ANNUAL CEMETERY TRIP DURING THE OCTAVE OF ALL SAINTS – The faithful may earn a plenary or partial indulgence for the souls in purgatory by visiting a cemetery and devoutly praying for the dead during the Octave of All Saints. In addition to this act of piety, you will also need to make a Sacramental Confession, receive Holy Communion, and pray for the intentions of the Pope. We thank Fr. Manzano for offering a review lesson on indulgences to the Upper School during our visit to the cemetery this past Friday.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 10/31: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall –
- Miss Neumayr shared the announcements from last week’s Update and shared the plan for the week and regaled everyone with the story of her adventurous and sleepless efforts to return to Alaska in time for the All Saints Festival.
- The Girls’ High School Volleyball team announced that Juliana Beigel (11th) was recognized as one of the top 15 players in the Lumen Christi volleyball tournament last weekend.
- None of the proposed referenda for the HRA ballot were suitable for consideration. In the future, classes will work on helping students understand how to determine what changes to the school rules are feasible to propose.
- The Boys’ High School Wrestling team has been very active since their season started. Michael Lucas (11th) was named Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament at Bartlett High School last weekend. Students were invited to watch the next meet on Saturday, Nov. 5th at Anchorage Christian School.
- We welcomed a new 1st grader, Nikole Pfeifer, on her first day as an HRA student.
MONDAY10/31: It was a great pleasure to see so many parents and family members join us for the All Saints Festival! The skits were all charming and delightful. We would like to thank Miss DiCiero for filming the class skits. Individual class skits will be available on the class Sycamore sites under the “Class” menu on the “Multimedia” page.
TUESDAY 11/01: We hope everyone enjoyed a blessed Feast of All Saints. It was a great pleasure to see Stephen Hart (5th) serving for the Noon Mass at Holy Family Cathedral. Many HRA families and teachers were there at Mass as well.
THURSDAY 11/03: Fr. Mark Francis Manzano said Mass for the whole School in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you Fr. Manzano. We also thank the following people for their particular help in the Mass:
- Altar Servers: Savio Le (10th) and Macklen Bell (9th)
- Readers: Elena Biegel (9th), Jacinta Grandel (10th)
- Cantor: Mrs. Kinder
THURSDAY 11/03: Parents gathered in the Kolbe Lobby for the second PA Meeting of the school year. Miss Neumayr gave her Status of the School Address. Parents provided helpful feedback on our new uniform supplier, Schoolbelles, as well as school-to-home communication. (We are so glad you find these weekly emails helpful.)
FRIDAY 11/04: Upper School Joseph schedule & Cemetery Visit – Upper School students bundled up and piled into the buses for a trip to the Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery to offer prayers for the dead in observance of the Octave of All Souls. After praying a rosary led by Alec Grandel (12th), Lael Droege (11th), Alex O’Neill (10th), Ciara McMorrow (11th), Sofia Sidun (10th), and Moira McMorrow (9th), Fr. Manzano led everyone to the graves of the Sisters of Perpetual Adoration from the Monastery of the Blessed Sacrament who are buried here in Anchorage. He told the Upper School a story about the amazing early life of one of those sisters, Mother Maria Josefina, who had helped smuggle ammunition to the cristeros in the 1920’s at the age of 12. Fr. Manzano guided everyone in prayer for the souls of these faithful and dedicated women who had committed their lives to praying for us.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 11/7: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
MONDAY-FRIDAY 11/7-11: 4th-6th Grade SCANTRON testing
TUESDAY 11/8: HRA Election Day – 3rd-12th grade students will participate in a simulated Presidential Election. Please help your children remember to bring their HRA Student IDs and their HRA Voter Registration Cards to school so they may participate in the election.
TUESDAY 11/8: Elementary Mass in JPII Chapel
TUESDAY 11/8-17: Miss DiCiero will be out of town from November 8th through November 17th. The rest of the office staff will do their very best to help you with any concerns that would normally be addressed by the Business Manager. Thank you for your understanding.
WEDNESDAY 11/9: Installation Mass for Archbishop Etienne, 2:00 p.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. Representatives from HRA attending the Mass will depart the campus a little before 1:00 p.m. The following students have been selected to represent Holy Rosary Academy at the installation of the new Archbishop:
- Altar Servers: Joshua Fouch (6th) and Will Deering (9th)
- Choir members: Gabrielle Holder (11th), Ciara McMorrow (11th), and Jacinta Grandel (10th)
- Student representatives: Maria Koop (6th) and John Lastimoso (10th)
THURSDAY 11/10: Upper School Mass in JPII Chapel
THURSDAY 11/10: The faculty meeting marked on the calendar for Wednesday, November 9th has been rescheduled for Thursday, November 10th, due to the Installation Mass for the Archbishop.
FRIDAY 11/11: Veterans Day
FRIDAY 11/11: Upper School Mary Day – rehearsal for the Festival of Lessons & Carols
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Class Pictures and portrait retakes on Tuesday, November 15th. **Students intending to retake their portraits on November 15th must bring their original pictures with them to have their pictures retaken.**
- The High School Retreat will be Thursday & Friday, November 17th & 18th at St. Theresa’s Camp in Wasilla. This retreat is a mandatory event for high school students. Please make appropriate plans for the students to be gone all of Thursday and most of Friday. This is the most important activity we do for our high school students, other than the weekly Mass. Please prioritize this wonderful time for your child.
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Thursday, November 24th & Friday, November 25th for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- The Upper School will follow Special Schedule A on Wednesday, November 30th.