Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- SAVE $10 ON REGISTRATION FEES THIS WEEKEND for the Anchorage Visitor Industry Charity Walk on Friday, May 13th! Join TEAM HOLY ROSARY ACADEMY online at: https://raceroster.com/events/2016/7976/visitor-industry-charity-walk-anchorage
- Yearbooks available for pre-sale! There are two editions of the yearbook this year. Families can choose between a paperback Elementary Yearbook for $35.00 and the hardcover Upper School Yearbook for $55.00. Save $15 when you buy the Lower & Upper School yearbooks together as a bundle.
- Next school year, HRA will have the opportunity to participate in the Catholic Student Exchange program by hosting three to six Guatemalan students between the ages of 11 and 17 years. If you are interested in becoming a host family, please contact Miss Neumayr for more information. Fliers were sent home with students on Friday.
- Congratulations to Caitriona McMorrow (12th) for being recognized by her parish as one of two Youth Stewards of the Year for St. Benedict’s.
- Congratulations to alumni, Michael & Mara El-Khoury, their first child, Gabriel, was born on Thursday, May 5th 2016.
- We are very grateful to first grade parent, Betts, for repairing the fence next to St. Dominic’s Hall that was burned last weekend.
- The whole faculty thanks the parents and administration for all of their thoughtfulness and gifts during National Teacher Appreciation Week. We have enjoyed the flowers, coffee, cards, and “Mounds of Thanks” very much.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY 5/2: During the Morning Assembly, Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Miss Neumayr thanked the students for their efforts and joy at the Festival of Poetry and Song. So many parents and guests have called her and told her what a wonderful time they had and how impressed they were. Well done!
- The Seniors were recognized for their efforts in hosting one of the best proms HRA has ever had. Everyone was lovely and had a wonderful time.
- The weeks are counting down quickly. Miss Neumayr reminded everyone that they need to remain focused for the last of their tests and exams.
- Braunlich let us know that the Penny Drive had been a great success and the official count would be announced at the next Assembly.
- MONDAY 5/2: Parents and families came together in St. Dominic’s Hall to celebrate the May Crowning with hymns, flowers, and a rosary led by the senior class. HRA’s current First Communicants: Gaius Carlson (2), Noah Jansen (2), James Kinney (1), Belicia Manuel (2), Nevaeh Mason (2), Anthony Murray (2), Jacob Nunes (2), Rae Sanchez (2), and Carlos Stevens (3) presented the crown for Our Lady.
- MONDAY- FRIDAY 5/2-6: Grades 2-6 took their spring SCANTRON tests throughout the week. We commend the elementary students for their fortitude and focus during the testing. SCANTRON reports will be mailed home to parents this summer with the final report cards.
- WEDNESDAY 5/4: We would like to thank high school parent, O’Neill, for subbing in Kindergarten for the day.
- WEDNESDAY 5/4: 2nd & 4th Grades enjoyed most of the day at JBER, learning about the variety of jobs and equipment needed to run a U.S. military base. Thank you, & Mrs Hanson, for your help as drivers, chaperones, and tour guides around JBER.
- THURSDAY 5/5: Fr. Sidun offered a Byzantine Children’s Liturgy for the whole school in St. Dominic’s Hall. We thank him for sharing the traditions of the Byzantine Catholic Church with us from time to time this year, including this Liturgy for Ascension Thursday.
- THURSDAY 5/5: High school parents, & Mrs. Ford and their daughter, Isabella van Tets (9), gave a living history presentation on the American Revolutionary War period for the upper elementary grades in St. Dominic’s Hall after lunch. The costumes and presentation were enthralling and touched upon all aspects of history: past times, dancing, hunting, daily routines, politics, culture, etc.
- FRIDAY 5/6: Upper School 1st Friday Schedule: 7th-12th ended the day with an hour of Adoration in the JPII chapel.
- FRIDAY- SATURDAY 5/6-7: The High School Track team was excused from classes on Friday to compete in the Dimond High School track meet this weekend. Go Knights!
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY 5/9: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
- MONDAY 5/9: 4th & 5th Grades will spend the day at the Anchorage Court House, learning about the Judiciary branch of our government.
- MONDAY- FRIDAY 5/9-13: Grades 7-8 will take their spring SCANTRON tests throughout the week.
- WEDNESDAY 5/11: There will be an All-School Mass to celebrate former HRA chaplain, Fisher’s 60th jubilee, at 1:30 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. There will be a reception to follow.
- THURSDAY 5/12: 1st Grade will take all of the canned food they have collected this spring to FISH Food Pantry in the afternoon.
- THURSDAY-FRIDAY 5/12-13: Senior Exams – The 12th grade students will take their final exams in the library.
- FRIDAY 5/13: Upper School Joseph Day Schedule: 7th-12th students will enjoy a film and help prepare the campus for the end of the school year.
- FRIDAY 5/13: The Anchorage Visitor Industry Charity Walk begins at the Dena’ina Center at 6:00 p.m. Join Team Holy Rosary Academy for this city-wide fundraiser benefitting a variety of local charities and non-profit organizations, including HRA. Go Knights!
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- All are invited to the Senior Baccalaureate Mass which will be Tuesday evening, May 17th at 6:00 p.m. at Holy Family Cathedral. The seniors have requested a Dominican Rite Mass for their Baccalaureate. A reception for Seniors, their families, and invited guests will follow the Mass.
- The High School Graduation ceremony will be Wednesday, May 18th at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral. The ceremony will begin will Mass at Noon and then transition to the Lunney Center for formal addresses and the awarding of diplomas. ALL STUDENTS WILL ATTEND THE GRADUATION. STUDENTS NEED TO BE PICKED UP FROM THE LUNNEY CENTER AT OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE CO-CATHEDRAL AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL DAY.
- We are looking for parent help with Elementary Field Day events on Thursday, May 19th. COME JOIN THE FUN. See your child’s class newsletter for more information.
- 6TH & 8TH GRADE GRADUATION CEREMONY & RECEPTION: For the first time, Holy Rosary 6th & 8th graders will be honored with their own evening Graduation Ceremony and Reception in St. Dominic’s Hall on Thursday, May 19th from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. Graduates of each grade will be awarded with certificates in a brief ceremony and then a dessert reception will follow. We are looking for 6th & 8th grade parents who would like to help decorate the hall. Please contact Miss Neumayr if you would like to help.
- THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL IS FRIDAY, MAY 20TH. The Award Ceremony will begin at 9:00 a.m. The BBQ will begin at 11:00 a.m. Dismissal will be at 1:00 p.m.
- The Yale Spizzwinks, featuring Michael Tappel (HRA class of 2013 & junior at Yale), will be performing a public concert at St. Patrick’s Parishat 7:30pm on Wednesday, May 25th 2016. Based at Yale University in Connecticut, the Spizzwinks are America’s oldest underclassmen a cappella group, founded in 1914 and boasting a diverse repertoire that includes jazz, pop, oldies, and folk/traditional genres. Concert tickets ($10) can be purchased at the door or online through spizzwinks.com. For more information, email Michael Tappel at email@example.com.”
- The $250.00 discount deadline for Full Tuition Payment is June 15th, 2016 – Save $250 per family if you pay your tuition in full by June 15th, 2016. (After this date, the discount will drop to $100.00).