Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
- The winter recess policy: Elementary students must have a hat, gloves, boots, coat, and snow pants in order to play at recess, now that the weather has gotten cold. If students do not have all of their gear in the morning, the office will call home asking the parents to bring the missing gear. Students will stay inside for recess if the temperature is -10° F or colder.
- Colds and flu are going around. While we place a high value on school attendance, please keep your children home of they are ill. Students who come to school when they are sick will cause others to miss school as well. A child should stay home if they have a fever or if they have vomited within the last 24 hours.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY: The Morning Assembly – The following announcements were made:
- The high school retreat was a great success.
- The cold weather is also dry weather. Be sure to drink lots of water throughout the day, every day.
- MONDAY: Mid-quarter Progress Reports went home with your children on Monday. Students were instructed to bring their progress reports back with their parent’s signature by the end of the week. If you have not signed your child’s progress report, please do so and send it back to school with your child on Monday, November 23rd.
- TUESDAY: Fr. Brosamer said Mass for theLower School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you Fr. Brosamer, it is always a pleasure to have you on campus.
- WEDNESDAY: Pizza Day! Students enjoyed their monthly dose of Bear Tooth pizza for a special lunch treat.
- THURSDAY: The Board of Trustees met from 7:00 – 9:00 a.m.
- THURSDAY: Fr. Mark Francis said Mass for the Jr. High School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you Fr. Mark Francis.
- THURSDAY-SATURDAY: The High School Girls Volleyball Team co-hosted a volleyball tournament with Lumen Christi High School. The HRA Lady Knights won their first game against Cook Inlet Academy. They lost their second game in a well fought five set challenge against one of the top teams, Su Valley. Exhausted, they put up a fight but fell to Birchwood later on Friday. Thank you to the volleyball players for such a good season. We are especially proud of the seniors, Captain, Monica Klump, senior, Sarah Lucas, and senior, Heather Siebs, who led their teammates admirably with the guidance of Student Coach, senior, Sang Nguyen, and Assistant Coach, alumna, Ann-Marie Droege. The school wishes to thank Mrs. Klump and Lumen Christi Athletic Director, Billy Hunt for all their work in organizing the tournament and working tirelessly each day. Thank you to the volleyball parents, Mrs. Tappel, Mrs. Ryan, Mrs. Droege, and Mrs. Manu for supplying the delicious food and for working the cash box at the entrance. Thank you to all the players and HRA students who came to support the volleyball team and for all of their extra help in cleaning and taking out the garbage. Miss Neumayr was proud of the HRA representation in hosting the State Tournament!
- FRIDAY: Upper School Joseph Day – The Upper School spent the morning attending class periods 4-6. In the afternoon, 7th-10th grade students worked on their science projects while 11th & 12th grade students made Christmas ornaments in preparation for the Christmas Tree Trimming Party that was purchased at the Annual HRA Auction Gala.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY: Morning Assembly at 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- TUESDAY: All-SchoolMass at 10:15 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall with the Dominican chaplains.
- WEDNESDAY: Upper School Schedule A – Students will have each of their academic classes for 35 minutes followed by an All-Student Seminar (7-12) in the afternoon.
- THURSDAY: THANKSGIVING, NO SCHOOL!
- FRIDAY: There is no school for the Thanksgiving holiday.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- K-12 students will attend Divine Liturgy at St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church on Friday, December 4thin honor of the Feast of St. Nicholas, their parish patron. This activity will take the whole afternoon. Students will return to HRA at the normal school dismissal time.
- THERE WILL BE NO SCHOOL ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 8THIN HONOR OF THE FEAST OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION. (This is a Holy Day of Obligation.)
- The blessing of the Our Lady of the Rosary mosaic has been postponed to Wednesday, December 9th at 9:30 a.m.
- The Festival of Lessons & Carols will be held the evening of Thursday, December 10thin Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral.
- The 1st semester will end on Friday, December 18th. Please join us for our Annual Advent Potluck Brunch. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. on this day.