Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- HAVE A HAPPY EASTER!
- HRA is in great need of a volunteer with a truck who could help us pick up three teacher’s desks from Speedy Glass at the corner of Fireweed Ln. and Arctic Blvd. Regina Huskey of Speedy Glass is willing to donate them to HRA if they are picked up by April 5th.
- REMINDER for any families who have not yet paid their Re-enrollment Fees for next school year: Monday, May 2nd is the deadline to pay the Re-enrollment Fees for returning students in order to secure their seats in next year’s classes.
- OTHER DISCOUNT OPPORTUNITIES FOR TUITION FOR THE 2016-17 SCHOOL YEAR:
- New Family Referral – Receive a $100 discount for your family tuition when you refer a new family that enrolls in HRA for the 2016-17 school year. This discount applies to each new family you have recruited.
- Full Tuition Payment by June 15th, 2016 – Save $250 per family if you pay your tuition in full by June 15th, 2016.
- Full Tuition Payment before the start of the 2016-17 school year – Save $100 per family when you pay the full tuition between June 16th and August 14th, 2016.
- We extend our thanks to resident Board of Trustees member, Mr. Bird, for shoveling snow around the campus last weekend after the heavy snowfall.
- We thank elementary parent, Eychaner, for helping the administrative staff with a project on Wednesday afternoon.
- We thank elementary parent, Nunes, for delivering the recycling this month.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY 3/21: Morning Assembly – Announcements:
- Congratulations to Miss Verreux on becoming an American citizen! She made her Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America on Friday, March 18th
- Miss Neumayr updated the students on the current activities of HRA alumni abroad: Jamie Cookson (’13) spent the year studying at Oxford University, Marisa Ramos (’13) spent this last semester studying abroad in Italy, and Michael Tappel (’13) has been traveling the world with his choir at Yale for the last three years. (He is currently in China.)
- Senior College updates:
- Richard Maloy has been accepted to Chapman University with an academic merit scholarship of $16,000 per year.
- Sang Nguyen has been accepted to the University of San Francisco with a $22,000 annual academic merit scholarship, Brandeis University’s Leadership and Health Scholar Community, and UC Irvine.
- Amarisa and Kaili Manuel each took first place in their divisions for freestyle in their league wrestling match last weekend. Go Knights!
- Jasser Majewsky (9) and his Comp League hockey team won the State Championships this season.
- Congratulations to Williams and HRA parents, Mr. & Mrs. Hart and Mr. & Mrs. Droege who were installed in the Confraternity of Angelic Warfare, a charism of the Dominican order in which the members wear a special medal and say 15 Hail Mary’s and two special prayers calling for their own purity and the chastity as well as praying for purity and chastity throughout the world. These couples were inspired by their own children who joined the Confraternity at the HRA high school retreat last November. What a beautiful calling these HRA parents and teachers have answered.
- The following students received their prize packages for their participation in AHA Jump Rope for Heart: Sonya Ramos (3), Carlos Stevens (3), William Cagle (3), Mia Stevens (1), Asher Cubit (3), Anthony Murray (2), Jacob Nunes (2), Stephen Hart (3), Cameron Montague (2), Verity Pendergast (4), Gaius Carlson (2), Noah Jansen (2), Will Jansen (K), Cameron Dixon (3), Shannon Dixon (1), Earthen Le (4), Miguel Reyes (5), Maria Koop (5), and Victoria Beaty (3).
- TUESDAY3/22: The 6th grade class went to the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts to support their classmate, Emma Cookson, in the Alaska State Spelling Bee. Emma was awarded a Kindle for finishing in 10th place among 142 spellers. Her last word was “abscise” in the 6th
- TUESDAY3/22: Fr. Ward, a guest priest with the St. Vincent de Paul Society, presided over the All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Ward.
- WEDNESDAY 3/23: The Upper School attended all of their academic courses in the morning and enjoyed an All-Student Seminar in the afternoon. Mr. Welsh, Mr. Bolin, and Mr. Mason selected two similar short stories for the students to discuss, “The Lottery Ticket” by Anton Chekhov and “The Story of An Hour” by Kate Chopin.
- WEDNESDAY 3/23: Mrs. Williams and the 5th grade organized a Seder meal in order to learn more about the connections between Holy Week, as we observe it in the Catholic Church, and the Jewish Passover. We thank HRA parent, Fouch, for attending the Seder with the class.
- THURSDAY 3/24: Holy Rosary Academy closed in observance of Holy Thursday.
- FRIDAY 3/25: Holy Rosary Academy closed in observance of Good Friday.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- SUNDAY 3/27: We wish everyone a very happy Easter.
- MONDAY-FRIDAY 3/28-4/1: NO SCHOOL FOR EASTER VACATION.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Classes will resume after the Easter vacation on Monday, April 4th.
- There will be another promotional HRA Open House on Wednesday, April 6th from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- The last Parent Association Meeting of the year will take place on Monday, April 11th from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Babysitting will be provided during the meeting.
- & Sr. Theses will take place Tuesday – Friday, April 12th – 15th.
- Kindergarten Sibling Day at Holy Rosary Academy will be on Wednesday, April 13th. Please contact the office if you have a younger child who will be ready for Kindergarten next year that you would like to bring to school for this special day in Mrs. Shaut’s class.
- The Greek & Roman Festival will take place on Friday, April 22nd.