Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
- Have a very merry Christmas!
- Classes will resume on Monday, January 4th. When we return to school, please be mindful that the 6 parking spaces closest to Fireweed Ln. of the east parking lot are reserved for Fresh Dental Care patients. Please leave them open when parking at the school.
- Special thanks to Mr. John Fleming for his all of his support and help at the Festival of Lessons & Carols and throughout the semester.
- Holder wanted to let everyone know that she has enjoyed supervising After School Care very much. She is only stepping down because she is planning to have surgery and will be required to strictly limit her activities during her recovery. We are still looking for a parent who is willing to supervise one hour of After School Care on Monday, Thursday, and Friday afternoons from 3:15 to 4:15 p.m. each week. Thursday afternoons are a particular need. Please contact Mrs. Furby if you are interested in helping on one or more of these days. Thank you.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY 12/14: The Morning Assembly – The following announcements were made:
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling Team performed very well at the Kachemak Regional Tournament in Homer last weekend. Michael Lucas (10) won the regional title for his weight division and will go on to the State competition this weekend at Bartlett High School. Thomas Biegel (9) placed 4th in his weight category with 2 wins. He has also qualified to continue on to the state tournament.
- Our 5th grade teacher, Williams, defended her Thesis and has earned her Master’s Degree in Education from Alaska Pacific University.
- TUESDAY 12/15: Miss Verreux took the 1st grade students to the Anchorage Museum of History and Art to see the traveling Van Gogh exhibit. Lower School parent, Patton, was kind enough to drive the students in the new bus, thank you.
- TUESDAY 12/15: Fr. Brosamer said Mass for the Lower School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer.
- WEDNESDAY 12/16: The HRA Board of Trustees met on Wednesday this month in order to accommodate holiday travel. Our thanks go out to the Board of Trustees for their time, support, and guidance all throughout the year.
- WEDNESDAY 12/16: Pizza Day seemed to be charged with a little extra excitement on this Gaudete week of Advent. HRA would like to thank Kindergarten parent, Brookwell, and 5th grade parent, Mrs. Cedillo-Rendon, for helping with Pizza Day.
- WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY: Upper School students took their exams over the course of two days this year, rather than three. We are very proud of the students for handling these rigorous days so well and so cheerfully.
- THURSDAY 12/17: Fr. Anthony Patalano said Mass for the Upper School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Anthony.
- FRIDAY 12/18: The Advent Potluck Brunch in St. Dominic’s Hall was a smashing success! The Lower School enjoyed their breakfast from 8:15 to 9:15. The Upper School students served their drinks and assisted younger grades with their plates at the buffet line. Santa visited and gave a small treat to each student who went to see him. The Upper School enjoyed their feast from 9:15 to 11:00 a.m. We are so pleased and grateful for all of the family participation. Grandparents, aunts, cousins, and siblings came to celebrate with us as well as parents. We would especially like to thank the following volunteers who helped set-up, serve, and clean-up for the brunch: Tappel, Mrs. Sanchez, Mr. & Mrs. Carlson, Mrs. Fouch, Mrs. Garcia, the Irving family, Mrs. Nunes, and Mr. van Tets.
- FRIDAY 12/18: Upper School Caroling Trip – The Upper School has enjoyed caroling for benefactors & generous volunteers for a number of years now. This year we chose to thank Auction Committee member, Rosa Salazar, with a surprise caroling visit. Everyone was surprised when she was one of the volunteers helping at the Advent Brunch, so the students sang to her in St. Dominic’s Hall as the parent volunteers cleaned-up before departing for Providence Hospital. The students sang in the hospital cafeteria in addition to making a special visit to our original benefactor, Mr. Vern Hickel.
- FRIDAY 12/18: Miss Neumayr hosted the annual Principal’s Christmas Dinner for the Faculty. Guests in attendance were members of the HRA faculty, the Board of Trustees, and friends of HRA. The Roethle family catered a splendid meal. It was a very enjoyable close to the semester.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- Christmas Vacation from Saturday, December 19th to Sunday, January 3rd. Have a very merry Christmas and happy New Year!
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Report cards and financial statements for the semester will be mailed home on December 29th. The office may only release student grades to families who are caught up with their tuition payments for the year: at least 50% of the family tuition costs for the school year.
- MONDAY 1/4: Morning Assembly at 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.