Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Holy Rosary Academy wishes everyone a happy and blessed Thanksgiving holiday.
- 5th – 8th Grade Volleyball starts in January!
- Schoolbelles has launched their annual Winter Uniform Sale, now through January 7th. All items are discounted 20%-50% during this sale. Click this link to the flyer for more information: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102302212963&ca=7fee8067-7a36-4c02-bdfa-5bc0827e5e91
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- We would like to thank Noah Cruz (7th) and his family for helping deliver all of the last minute canned vegetable donations to St. Patrick’s last weekend.
- Thank you, Mrs. O’Hanley, for subbing in 6th Grade while Miss Bluhm traveled to visit her grandmother for the Thanksgiving holiday.
The temperatures are low and the snow is threatening to finally fall. We hope you find it helpful to review the school policies on Outdoor Clothing:
Spring and Fall: Grades K – 6
Sweat pants may be worn underneath school clothing during recess time for the months of August, September, April and May, or as weather necessitates.
Winter Clothing: Grades K – 6
Whenever there is snow (or ice) on the ground, coats, snow pants, boots, hats, and gloves must be worn to recess. Students who do not have proper outdoor clothing may not participate in outdoor recess activities.
Winter Clothing: Grades 7 – 12
Whenever there is snow on the ground, coat and boots must be worn to play outdoors. Students who do not have proper outdoor clothing may not participate in outdoor activities.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 11/14: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall –
- Miss Neumayr announced the happy news that the Manuel family had another baby girl last weekend. Welcome to the world, Lucia Manuel!
- The students were all commended for their superb behavior during class pictures. The Lifetouch photographers always tell the office how impressed they are by Holy Rosary students.
- Miss Neumayr gave a recap of the Upper School retreats. For the first time, Holy Rosary has offered retreats for every grade this school year. She extended her gratitude to all the volunteers who helped make the retreats so wonderful.
- Everyone was encouraged to attend the Girls’ High School Volleyball team’s last season game against Lumen Christi on Monday evening.
- The Boys’ High School Wrestling team placed 20th out of 42 schools competing in last weekend’s state tournament. Thomas Biegel (10th) placed 6th for his JV weight category. Michael Lucas (11th) made the finals, where he was among the best wrestlers in Alaska. Go Knights!
- Miss Neumayr thanked all the students for their letters to the troops and reminded the students how much those letters mean to the service men and women who receive them.
- The elementary was acknowledged for their generous contributions to the Thanksgiving Blessing Food Drive.
TUESDAY 11/22: Fr. Manzano said Mass for the whole school in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you Fr. Manzano. We also thank the following students for their particular help in the Mass:
Altar Servers: John Lastimoso (10th) and Mikael Hilario (7th)
Readers: Drew Benton (11th) and Stephen Woyte (11th)
TUESDAY 11/22: The faculty is very grateful to the parents who contributed such delicious holiday dishes to the luncheon: Mrs. Bohne, Mrs. Pendergast, Mrs. Stevens, Mrs. Koop, Mrs. Pfeifer, Mrs. Gonzalez, Mrs. Ward, Mrs. Irving, Mrs. Lopez, and Mrs. Watson. We would also like to thank Mrs. Reyes and Mrs. Leinon for setting-up and serving, and cleaning after the luncheon. They also straightened the library while they were there. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
TUESDAY 11/22: The Girls’ High School Volleyball team closed their season with a Parent/Student volleyball game in the Stellar gym followed by a potluck dinner party in St. Dominic’s Hall.
WEDNESDAY 11/23: The Upper School used a special schedule in order to make time for an mixed-grade story discussion that we call “All-School Seminar.” This week, students and teachers read a short story by Flannery O’Connor and shared their thoughts on the work with students who are not normally in their classes.
WEDNESDAY 11/23: HRA was pleased to welcome Miss Evans’ brother, Deacon, Bryce Evans, to the campus for the afternoon. He visited the elementary and joined them for rosary as well as sitting in on some of the Upper School’s All-School Seminar.
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 11/24-25: WE WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 11/28: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
TUESDAY 11/29: Lower School Mass in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Brosamer at 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 11/30: Upper School Special Schedule A with Lessons & Carols Rehearsal
8:00 – 8:37 Period 1
8:40 – 9:17 Period 2
9:20 – 9:57 Period 3
10:00 – 10:37 Period 4
10:40 – 11:17 Period 5
11:20 – 11:57 Period 6
12:00 – 12:45 7-12 Lunch
12:45 – 1:00 Homeroom
1:00 – 3:10 Rehearsal in St. Dominic’s Hall
WEDNESDAY 11/30: Pizza Day
WEDNESDAY 11/30: K-12 Rehearsal for Lessons & Carols in St. Dominic’s Hall at 1:00 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 11/30: There will be a Faculty Meeting in the St. Kolbe Bldg. from 3:30-5:00 p.m.
THURSDAY 12/01: Upper School Mass with Fr. Manzano in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 12/02: Upper School First Friday Schedule – Students are to wear their dress uniforms.
FRIDAY 12/02: FESTIVAL OF LESSONS & CAROLS at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral at 7:00 p.m. Students are to arrive by 6:30 p.m.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Thursday, December 8th in observance of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
- The last day of the 2nd Quarter is Friday, December 16th.