16 OCTOBER 2015
Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
- AUCTION FEVER! – Buy your tickets while there is still room. It is going to be a great night!
The Auction Committee is still in need of boxes of fine CHOCOLATE. These donations will count toward your auction commitment.
- Special Thanks – We would like to express our gratitude to the following people:
- Mrs. Angie Cook and her family have taken excellent care of the summer flower pots so that they have lasted well into the fall.
- Mrs. Carole Hart and Mrs. Cindee Eychaner for their accounting help while our bookkeeper, Pam Field, is in the hospital. Please continue to pray for Pam Field as she battles cancer.
- Mr. Jeff Eychaner for his hours of electrical work on our buses.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY: We hope everyone enjoyed the day off and the long weekend.
- TUESDAY: Morning Assembly at 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- Miss Neumayr reminded everyone of the significance of the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima and encouraged everyone to pray on this day especially for peace in this world and for all of those people who suffer in war-torn countries.
- The girls’ high school volleyball team won their first two games against Lumen Christi and Birchwood. These two teams have been consistent challengers in the past. Go Lady Knights!
- We expressed our gratitude to Mrs. Braunlich for organizing the Syrian Refugee Donation Drive with the 3rd grade this month as well as to all those who gave so generously. Several boxes of books and clothes were collected by the students. 6th grade particularly stands out for the quantity of goods collected. Well done!
- Students were reminded to play safely in the yard and to be attentive to when they are on the blacktop vs. on the grass.
- TUESDAY: Fr. Dominic David, one of our Dominican chaplains, came to say Mass for the elementary at 2:15 p.m. in the JPII Chapel. This is a special treat, since they are normally only able to come to the campus for Mass once a week. Special help from the Chancery made it possible this week.
- WEDNESDAY: 9th – 11th grades took the PSAT in St. Dominic’s Hall from 8:00 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. under the supervision of Miss Neumayr and Mrs. Furby. It was quite a practice in fortitude. We are very proud of all of them. (Seniors enjoyed the long awaited privilege of a late arrival after the class met for breakfast together at Leroy’s Diner.)
- WEDNESDAY: Mrs. Williams and Miss Bluhm took the 5th & 6th grades on an amazing field trip to JBER to see fighter planes and check out the flight simulator with elementary parent and Wing Commander, Corcoran. Our gratitude also goes out to elementary parent, Mr. Patton, for driving the bus and to elementary parents, Mrs. Corcoran and Mrs. Knox, for helping to transport and chaperone the students on base. We also share our appreciation for Mr. Williams for allowing the students to glimpse his duties on base.
- THURSDAY: Fr. Anthony said Mass for the Upper School in the JPII Chapel at 10:15 a.m. Thank you, Fr. Anthony. The Zipay family and recent alumna, Victoria Zipay, joined us for Mass.
- THURSDAY: The 10th-12th grades met in a very successful training meeting in preparation for the student participation in the 2015 Holy Rosary Academy Auction Gala.
- FRIDAY: We thank Mr. Klotz for subbing in 6th
- FRIDAY: October 16th was the official end of the First Quarter. Elementary Report Cards will be distributed at the Parent-Teacher Conferences next week. High School Progress Reports will be distributed to parents at Don Rags. High School Progress Reports will be sent home with students next week. *Upper School grades are not final until the end of the semester in December.*
- FRIDAY: The girls’ high school volleyball team was away at a tournament in Ninilchik while the boys’ high school wrestling team went to Houston for their first wrestling meet of the season. They will all compete throughout the weekend.
- FRIDAY: Mr. Welsh assisted the Auction Committee by photographing the class projects that will each be sold to the highest bidder at the 2015 Holy Rosary Academy Auction Gala. Thank you, Mr. Welsh.
- FRIDAY: High Parent-Teacher Conferences – 7th & 8th grade teachers were happy to host parents for the second afternoon of Jr. High Parent-Teacher Conferences. We would like to thank all the parents who came in to visit with us this Friday and last.
- FRIDAY: Upper School Mary Day schedule – Community Service. We are grateful to Miss DiCiero, Miss Neumayr, elementary grandparents, Ford and Mrs. Bohne, and upper school parent, Mrs. Persson, for supervising students during Community Service. This allowed the upper school teachers to be available for Jr. High Parent-Teacher Conferences.
- SATURDAY: THERE IS AN AUCTION TRAINING MEETING FOR PARENT VOLUNTEERS THIS SATURDAY FROM ____ TO ____ AT HRA. If you cannot attend this meeting, please contact your auction supervisor for a full explanation of your duties at the auction.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY: Morning Assembly at 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- TUESDAY-THURSDAY: Upper School Don Rags from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. each day. Please see attached note about Don Rags.
- TUESDAY: Upper School Mary Day – NOON DISMISSAL for Don Rags
- TUESDAY: Lower School Mass at 2:15 p.m. in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Brosamer.
- WEDNESDAY: Upper School Joseph Day – NOON DISMISSAL for Don Rags
- THURSDAY: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 10:15 a.m.
- THURSDAY: Lower School – NOON DISMISSAL for Parent-Teacher Conferences from Noon to 3:30 p.m. (by appointment)
- THURSDAY: Upper School Mary Day – NOON DISMISSAL for Don Rags
- FRIDAY: There will be no classes on Friday, October 23. Teachers will be meeting with parents in Conferences and Don Rags by appointment from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ***This day is considered a Student In-service Day. Students will be assigned work to be completed at home.***
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- The Upper School will be dismissed at Noon Tuesday, October 20th and Wednesday, October 21st for High School Don Rags.
- K-12 will be dismissed at Noon on Thursday, October 22nd in order to schedule Lower School parent-teacher conferences and High School Don Rags.
- There will be no classes for K-12 on Friday, October 23rd in order to schedule Lower School parent-teacher conferences and High School Don Rags.
- The HRA Auction Gala will take place at the Marriott Hotel downtown from 6:00 to 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 24th.
- The All Saints’ Day Festival will take place in St. Dominic’s Hall from 1:00 to 3:10 on Friday, October 30th. Parents are encouraged to attend.
- MARK THE CHANGE – The High School Retreat has been rescheduled to November 12th & 13th so that it will not conflict with HRA team sporting events that would cause a significant number of students to miss the retreat. We are happy to announce that Fr. Peter Hannah O.P., who taught Church History at HRA years ago when he was a Dominican Brother assigned to Holy Family Cathedral, will be leading the retreat held for 9th through 12th grade HRA students at St. Theresa’s Camp in Wasilla.