Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- THE LAST PARENT ASSOCIATION MEETING OF THE SCHOOL YEAR will be Monday, April 11th from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Kolbe Lobby. Babysitting will be provided.
- HRA has switched uniform suppliers. ALL OF OUR UNIFORM ITEMS can now be purchased through SCHOOLBELLES. The easiest way to access the online catalog is through the link on the Uniform page of the school website: hraak.com.
- Click the “PURCHASE FROM SCHOOLBELLES” link. You will automatically access the HRA uniform catalog.
- Select BOYS or GIRLS in the upper left corner to begin shopping.
- You will be invited to set up an account that will include your children’s names and grades when you check out.
- Please note that certain items are available through the online catalog that are not part of the school uniform. Saddle shoes and chair packs are not currently allowed by HRA.
- Save $10 on registration fees for the Anchorage Visitor Industry Charity Walk when you sign up to join TEAM HOLY ROSARY ACADEMY before May 8th. Adults can register online at: https://raceroster.com/events/2016/7976/visitor-industry-charity-walk-anchorage for $35 until May 8th, then the registration fee will be $45.00. The cost of children’s (ages 5-17) registration is $20.00 and will go up to $30.00 on May 9th. The Charity Walk is on Friday, May 13th.
- REMINDER for any families who have not yet paid their Re-enrollment Fees for next school year: Monday, May 2nd is the deadline to pay the Re-enrollment Fees for returning students in order to secure their seats in next year’s classes.
- OTHER DISCOUNT OPPORTUNITIES FOR TUITION FOR THE 2016-17 SCHOOL YEAR:
o New Family Referral – Receive a $100 discount for your family tuition when you refer a new family that enrolls in HRA for the 2016-17 school year. This discount applies to each new family you have recruited.
o Full Tuition Payment by June 15th, 2016 – Save $250 per family if you pay your tuition in full by June 15th, 2016.
o Full Tuition Payment before the start of the 2016-17 school year – Save $100 per family when you pay the full tuition between June 16th and August 14th, 2016.
- Thanks go out to HRA parents, Mrs. Cookson, for subbing on Monday for Miss Forbes in the Upper School.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- SATURDAY & SUNDAY 4/2-3: Miss Neumayr visited St. Anthony parish to promote Catholic education at HRA after each of the Masses. It was Holy Rosary Academy’s first year visiting St. Anthony parish. What a pleasure.
- MONDAY 4/4: School resumed with the Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
o Miss Neumayr read the Easter Message from Archbishop Schweitz.
o Emma Cookson was recognized for her success at the AK State Spelling Bee.
o The Jr. High Soccer team lost to Faith Lutheran and tied vs. Anchor Lutheran in their games on March 31st.
o Four HRA students participated in the Alaska Science & Engineering Fair. They all distinguished themselves admirably:
- Forrest Rose (10) placed 2nd in the high school Chemistry category and won the U.S. Metric Association award for best use and presentation of quantitative metric measurement in a project.
- Savio Le (9) placed 1st in Microbiology and earned an award from the American Society for Microbiology for the best high school microbiology project.
- Alex O’Neill (9) placed 1st in high school Cellular and Molecular Biology. He also scored enough points on his project to place 3rd Overall, regardless of category. His overall placement in the Alaska Science & Engineering Fair qualifies him to attend and observe the Intel International Science & Engineering Fair this year in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8-13, with free airfare and admission. The state of Alaska is only permitted to send two projects to Intel ISEF each year, so Alex will observe but not compete.
- Sophia Rose (8) participated, but did not place.
- TUESDAY 4/5: Fr. Brosamer said Mass for the Lower School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer.
- TUESDAY 4/5: CONGRATULATIONS to Anna Berry (11) and Eric Bjelland (11), who were confirmed into the Catholic Church by Archbishop Schwietz at St. Benedict parish.
- WEDNESDAY 4/6: We are grateful to everyone who helped with the Open House. Parent Association President, Mrs. Tappel, Mary Tappel (11), Dominic Zipay (10), Sophia Rose (8), Sofia Sidun (9), and Yordana Sidun (7) all helped to set up the decorations and snack table after school. Second Grade parent, Mrs. Brady, joined us to greet visitors. Arianna Fouch (12), Sang Nguyen (12), Matthew Lastimoso (11), Stephen Woyte (10), John Lastimoso (9), Alexander O’Neill (9), Sofia Sidun (9), Sophia Rose (8), Gabriel Zipay (8), Yordana Sidun (7), Eric Tyson (6), Kelsi Brady (2), and Yedidia Dibue (1) gave campus tours to visiting families and helped with guest sign-in. Stephen Woyte (10) and Alexander O’Neill (9) stayed after the event to help clean up. We are likely to see at least four new families enrolling after this Open House. One new family registered for Kindergarten the very next day!
- THURSDAY 4/7: Fr. Anthony Patalano said Mass for the Upper School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Anthony.
- THURSDAY 4/7: 6th Grade enjoyed a field trip to the Campbell Creek Science Center. We would like to thank the following parent helpers and drivers: Mrs. Irving, Mr. Tyson, Mrs. Cookson, and Mrs. Corcoran.
- FRIDAY 4/8: Upper School Joseph day: 7th – 12th grade students participated in community service activities at Serendipity Adult Day Care, St. Francis House food pantry, FISH Food Pantry, Clare House, Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral, campus stewardship, and in elementary classrooms. We would especially like to thank the students who worked so hard and so cheerfully organizing the sheds and sweeping the parking lots: Eric Bjelland (11), Alec Grandel (11), Drew Benton (10), Forrest Rose (10), Peter Anderson (9), Joseph Bjelland (9), Andrew Cookson (9), John Lastimoso (9), Alexander O’Neill (9), Max Clyde (8), Wolfgang Goorchenko (8), and Gabriel Zipay (8) spent two hours doing this backbreaking work. We would also like to acknowledge Evotia Manu (9), Arieta Manu (7), Amber Salvador (7), and Lisette Savok (7) for helping with this project after they returned from their first assignment. Matthew Lastimoso (11), Michael Lucas (10), Jacob Rogers (10), and Dominic Zipay (10) also swept parking lots for OLoG, thank you.
- FRIDAY 4/8: The Jr. High Soccer Team ended their season with an excellent performance in the Championship Game where they were beaten by Faith Christian in the final seconds of the game. Go Knights!
- SATURDAY 4/9: The wardrobe workshop was cancelled so it would not compete with a birthday party.
- SATURDAY 4/9: Mr. Bolin and the 9th & 10th grade students catered an Italian Dinner for Mr. & Mrs. Klump & their guests in Music Room this weekend. This event is the result of the 9th & 10th grades’ contribution to the 2015 HRA Gala Auction and was purchased by Mr. & Mrs. Klump last October. We are all grateful to the students for contributing their time, talents, and treasure to fundraising programs for the school. Thank you.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY 4/11: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
- MONDAY 4/11: The last Parent Association Meeting of the school year in the Bosco Lobby, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- TUESDAY 4/12: Lower School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m. with Fr. Roraff.
- TUESDAY 4/12: Upper School Mary Day – Jr. Theses Defenses from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. Anna Berry and Eric Bjelland will be reading and defending their theses. Parents and guests are welcome.
- TUESDAY 4/12: Senior Theses Defenses in St. Dominic’s Hall from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. Arianna Fouch and Caitriona McMorrow will be reading and defending their theses. Students, families, and guests are encouraged to attend.
- WEDNESDAY 4/13: Kindergarten Sibling Day – Younger siblings of current students who will be ready for Kindergarten next year spend the day in Mrs. Shaut’s class. Please contact the office if you intend to participate.
- WEDNESDAY 4/13: Upper School Joseph Day – Jr. Theses Defenses from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. Matthew Lastimoso, Alec Grandel and Mary Tappel will be reading and defending their theses. Parents and guests are welcome.
- WEDNESDAY 4/13: Senior Theses Defenses in St. Dominic’s Hall from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. Joseph Kemper and Sang Nguyen will be reading and defending their theses. Students, families, and guests are encouraged to attend.
- THURSDAY 4/14: Upper School SCHEDULE CHANGE: The Upper School will have a normal schedule on Thursday, April 14th. This does not match the printed calendars distributed at the beginning of the school year.
- THURSDAY 4/14: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 10:15 a.m. with one of the Dominican chaplains.
- THURSDAY 4/14: Senior Theses Defenses in St. Dominic’s Hall from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. Patrick Droege and Richard Maloy will be reading and defending their theses. Students, families, and guests are encouraged to attend.
- FRIDAY 4/15: Upper School Joseph day: Students will have ballroom dance lessons in the afternoon to help them prepare for prom.
- FRIDAY 4/15: Senior Theses Defenses in St. Dominic’s Hall from 3:30 to 6:15 p.m. Monica Klump, Sarah Lucas and Therese Knox will be reading and defending their theses. Students, families, and guests are encouraged to attend.
- FRIDAY 4/15: Senior-Faculty Dinner at Fiori D’Italia at 7:00 p.m. The Upper School faculty takes the graduating seniors out to dinner each year to celebrate the completion of their Theses Defenses.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- Mid-quarter Progress Reports will be sent home with students on Thursday, April 21st.
- The Greek & Roman Festival will take place on Friday, April 22nd. Activities begin at 10:00 a.m.
- The Festival of Poetry & Song will be on Friday, April 29th in Deacons Hall at St. Patrick’s parish. Students are to arrive at 6:30 p.m. to prepare for the performance which starts at 7:00 p.m.
- Upper School Prom, for 7th – 12th grade students, will take place on Saturday, April 30th.
- Fr. Fisher will celebrate the 60th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood with a Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 11th. He will be the main celebrant and Fr. Luz Flores will be the homilist.
- The Anchorage Visitor Industry Charity Walk is Friday, May 13th
- All are invited to the Senior Baccalaureate Mass which will be Tuesday evening, May 17th at 6:00 p.m. at Holy Family Cathedral. The seniors have requested a Dominican Rite Mass for their Baccalaureate. A reception for Seniors, their families, and invited guests will follow the Mass.
- The High School Graduation ceremony will be Wednesday, May 18th at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral. The ceremony will begin will Mass at Noon and then transition to the Lunney Center for formal addresses and the awarding of diplomas. ALL STUDENTS WILL ATTEND THE GRADUATION. STUDENTS WILL BE PICKED UP FROM OLOG AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL DAY.
- We are looking for parent help with Elementary Field Day events on Thursday, May 19th. COME JOIN THE FUN. See your child’s class newsletter for more information.
- THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL IS FRIDAY, MAY 20TH. The Award Ceremony will begin at 9:00 a.m. The BBQ will begin at 11:00 a.m. Dismissal will be at 1:00 p.m.