Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
- WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL!
- New After School Care supervisers. We are happy to have two new alumnae and one of our parents join the HRA After School Care team. Recent graduates, Karina Biegel and Anna Jemmings, along with Lower School mom, Monica Kinney, will be running the After School Care program this semester while Mrs. Holder prepares for and recovers from surgery this term.
- New reserved parking space: This year we inaugurated an auction item that allows a family to park close to the entrance of the school. You will note, starting on Monday that the Tyson family have a reserved parking sign with their name, directly adjacent to Miss Neumayr’s parking space. Please honor their privilege by keeping that parking space open for their morning arrival and afternoon departure.
- We now have clearly marked Bus Parking in the east parking lot. Parents are asked to give a wide berth for the three school busses which will be returning to park at the end of the day on Mondays and Wednesdays. For safety reasons, we need to keep the old bus parking spaces next to the gate empty.
- Special thanks to HRA parent, Fouch, for picking up our new “Bus Parking” signs. They will make it much easier for the elementary gym classes to return to campus at the end of the day on Mondays and Wednesdays.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY 1/4: The Morning Assembly – The following announcements were made:
- Miss Neumayr gave a lovely reflection on the Christmas season as she welcomed everyone back to school.
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling Team: Although he was defeated by a young man from Nome, Michael Lucas (10) made it to the finals of the State Wrestling Tournament. We are very proud of him.
- MONDAY 1/4: The indoor volleyball season has begun for grades 5-8. We have a robust team of 10 led by student coaches: Monica Klump (12), Heather Siebs (12), and Julianna Biegel (10) and supervised by Volunteer Athletic Director, Maureen Klump. Thank you, student leaders.
- WEDNESDAY 1/6: Epiphany Concert a great success! Many parents, grandparents, and guests joined K-12 in St. Dominic’s Hall for the first ever Epiphany Concert and Celebration. The new HRA Elementary Band performed several short musical numbers that included solos by Carlos Stevens (3), and Maria Koop (5). The other band members are: Andrew Hanson (4), Verity Pendergast (4), Miguel Garcia Reyes (5), Joshua Fouch (5), Sophia Metras (6), (Earthen Le (4) was unable to attend because of illness.)After the concert, everyone sang Christmas carols selected by Mrs. Duncan. We commend all the members of the new band. They performed very well and each number was introduced by a student. Thank you to all of the guests for supporting this HRA family event.
- THURSDAY 1/7: Fr. Anthony Patalano said Mass for the whole school in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Anthony.
- FRIDAY 1/8: We would like to thank high school parent, O’Neill, for subbing in 5th grade.
- FRIDAY 1/8: Upper School Mary Day – The Upper School students packed away all of the delightful Christmas decorations. We are very proud and grateful for the cheerful and efficient effort from the students. They made short work of every project.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY 1/11: The Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
- MONDAY 1/11: 1st Grade will go on a field trip to visit Great Harvest Bakery.
- MONDAY-THURSDAY 1/11-14: 7th-8th Grade SCANTRON testing in the computer lab
- TUESDAY 1/12: Lower School Mass at 2:15 p.m. in the JPII Chapel.
- WEDNESDAY 1/13: Pizza Day
- THURSDAY 1/14: Upper School Mass at 10:15 a.m. in the JPII Chapel.
- FRIDAY 1/15: Teachers’ In-service training. The faculty will be off campus for professional development.
- FRIDAY 1/15: NO CLASSES FOR STUDENTS. It is important that parents understand that this is not a vacation day for students. They will be assigned a full day of work to do while they are home.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- THERE WILL BE NO SCHOOL ON MONDAY, JANUARY 18TH in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
- The high school drama class will perform The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wylde on Friday evening, January 22nd and Saturday evening, January 23rd at Our Lady of Guadalupe, Lunney Center.
- The Raffle Drawing will be held at Noon on Friday, January 29th in St. Dominic’s Hall anyone who purchased a raffle ticket is welcome to attend.
- The HRA Spelling Bee will take place at 8:15 a.m. on Friday, January 29th in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- Please add to your calendar: The Catholic Schools Week Mass will be at St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton parish on Wednesday, February 3rd at 1:00 p.m. We will need parent help to transport all of the students across town for Mass.