HRA WEEKLY UPDATES
25 NOVEMBER 2015
Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
- We are enjoying a short holiday week. HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!
- HRA students have been invited to work on a special project writing Christmas cards for the elderly veterans of Anchorage. This project includes all grades.
- The second grade had a special project this past week, writing Christmas cards for children in Japan who suffered in the tsunami four years ago. HRA parent, Knox, is helping to organize and mail the cards.
- SPECIAL THANKS
- Knox kindly looked after the 1st grade on Wednesday, allowing Miss Verreux to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY: The Morning Assembly – The following announcements were made:
- Students were reminded to reflect on gratitude this Thanksgiving week and to attend to family and friends by spending time, writing letters, and visiting or calling relatives, especially grandparents.
- HRA has been asked to write Christmas cards for elderly military veterans of Anchorage. We are so grateful for the care and beauty that students have put into letters for the troops this month. We have also been asked to help meet a need of outreach for our local elderly veterans.
- HS Boys Wrestling – The boys continue to improve and compete well. Micheal Lucas (10th grade) placed 4th in the Lancer Smith tournament last weekend.
- TUESDAY: Fr. Dominic David, one of our Dominican chaplains, said Mass for K-12 in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you Fr. Dominic David for saying Mass and joining the faculty for lunch.
- TUESDAY: The faculty very much enjoyed the extravagant Thanksgiving themed luncheon provided by the parents. It was all so delicious. Neavill provided a spiral cut ham. Mr. & Mrs. Roethle made turkey & gravy. Mrs. Benton brought mashed potatoes. The Koop family brought dressing, homemade rolls, and a pumpkin pie. Mrs. Corcoran made a comforting green bean casserole. Mrs. Chartier brought in a lovely cranberry dish and a pecan pie and stayed to help serve and clean up. Mrs. Betts made candied sweet potato casserole and fruit ambrosia. Mrs. Bohne provided ambrosia & pies as well as helping to set up and serve the meal. Mr. Beaty came to set up, serve, clean up, and supervise students while teachers enjoyed the lunch. We are particularly grateful to Mrs. Tiwari for organizing these wonderful luncheons every month.
- WEDNESDAY: Upper School Special Schedule A – 7th-12th grades enjoyed an All-Student Seminar on “The River” by Flannery O’Connor as a special afternoon activity. Thank you to Mr. Welsh, Mr. Bolin, and Mr. Mason for organizing this activity.
- THURSDAY-FRIDAY: HAPPY THANKSGIVING! School is not in session for the holiday.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY: Morning Assembly at 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- MONDAY: The Memorial Service for Mr. Peter Biegel, grandfather of three HRA Upper School students and three HRA alumni, will be held at 7:00 p.m. at St. Elizabeth Anne Seaton Catholic Church. Students are encouraged to attend and help with the choir.
- TUESDAY: ElementaryMass at 2:15 p.m. in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Brosamer.
- THURSDAY: Upper School Mass at 10:15 a.m. in the JPII Chapel with the Dominican chaplains.
- THURSDAY: Faculty Meeting in Kolbe Bldg. from 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- FRIDAY: Upper School Mary Day schedule
- FRIDAY: K-12 students will attend Divine Liturgy at St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. in honor of the Feast of St. Nicholas, their parish patron. Students will return to HRA at the normal school dismissal time.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- THERE WILL BE NO SCHOOL ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 8THIN HONOR OF THE FEAST OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION. (This is a Holy Day of Obligation.)
- The blessing of the Our Lady of the Rosary mosaic has been postponed to Wednesday, December 9th at 9:30 a.m.
- The Festival of Lessons & Carols will be held the evening of Thursday, December 10thin Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral.
- The 1st semester will end on Friday, December 18th. Please join us for our Annual Advent Potluck Brunch. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. on this day.