Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- HANDOUTS SENT HOME WITH YOUR CHILDREN:
- A paper copy of the 2016-17 HRA Calendar
- Re-enrollment on the HRA Sycamore site
- Spring Student Presentations Explained
- A brief note on where to find the February Parent Association Meeting Minutes.
- (All documents can be found under the Documents Tab of the HRA Sycamore site.)
- EARLY RE-ENROLLMENT OPPORTUNITY! We invite all families wishing to secure a place for their child for the coming school year 2016-17 to log onto Sycamore and complete the re-enrollment process. (See Document on the HRA Sycamore site.) If you pay the $300 Enrollment Fees ($250 for Enrollment & $50 for PA Dues) for each child returning, by the March 15th deadline, we will deduct $100 per family from your total enrollment fees. We have been blessed to have your child as part of the HRA family and hope we have met your needs. All re-enrollment applications must be filed by May 1st, if you are unable to make the discount deadline. A hardcopy of the re-enrollment form can be picked up in the front office or downloaded from the APPLY NOW button on this site.
- DISCOUNT OPPORTUNITIES FOR TUITION FOR THE 2016-17 SCHOOL YEAR:
- Early Re-enrollment – Save $100 per family by re-enrolling by March 15th, 2016.
- New Family Referral – Receive a $100 discount for your family tuition when you refer a new family that enrolls in HRA for the 2016-17 school year. This discount applies to each new family you have recruited.
- Full Tuition Payment by June 15th, 2016 – Save $250 per family if you pay your tuition in full by June 15th, 2016.
- Full Tuition Payment before the start of the 2016-17 school year – Save $100 per family when you pay the full tuition before August 15th, 2016.
- All students are invited to join Coach Russell for early conditioning practices from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons in St. Dominic’s Hall. The Track Season does not begin until March 2nd, 2016.
- All High School students are eligible to compete in the statewide World Language Declamations competition on February 27th, 2016 at South High School. Teachers, parents, and fellow students are encouraged to cheer on the HRA Knights. The event begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Please observe the Bus Parking Signs in the east parking lot. Pearce has had trouble parking at the end of the day when bringing the last P.E. class back to school. Thank you.
- We congratulate the 5th – 8th grade Volleyball team for a great season led by student coaches, Monica Klump (12) & Juliana Biegel (10).
- Matthew Lastimoso (11) and Andrew Cookson (9) are volunteering their time and talents as a volunteer student soccer coach for the Jr. High Indoor Soccer team.
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
- MONDAY 2/15: Everyone enjoyed an extra day of rest for the Presidents Day holiday.
- TUESDAY 2/16: Morning Assembly –
- Miss Neumayr was back with us, leading the Morning Assembly.
- Sang Nguyen (12) was accepted to the University of Dayton with offers of a $70,000 four-year scholarship and entrance into the Honors Program.
- Arianna Fouch (12) and Therese Knox (12) competed in a classical vocal competition sponsored by the National Association of Teachers of Singing. Arianna Fouch was awarded 1st place for the state of Alaska. (Arianna follows in the footsteps of alumnus, Michael Tappel, four years ago.)
- Certificates were presented to all of the students who placed in the HRA Latin Declamation on Monday, February 8th:
- 1st place winners: Latin I – Jacob Rogers (10), Latin II – Drew Benton (10), Latin III – Savio Le (9)
- 2nd place winners: Latin I – Grace Woyte (8), Latin II – Jacinta Grandel (9), Latin III – Christopher Knox (9)
- 3rd place winners: Latin I – Elena Biegel (8), Latin II – Mitchell Marquez (7), Latin III – Thomas Beigel (9)
- TUESDAY 2/16: Fr. Brosamer said Mass for the Lower School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer.
- TUESDAY 2/16: Tuesday was the last day to turn in pledges for Jump Rope for Heart. We would like to thank all the students who helped raise money for heart health and education. Prizes will be announced in approximately three weeks. We will recognize students for reaching fund raising goals at that time.
- TUESDAY 2/16: Pizza order forms went home with those students who have not pre-ordered for the rest of the year. Pizza orders may still be turned in on Monday morning, February 22nd.
- WEDNESDAY 2/17: We would like to thank everyone who helped with the HRA Open House on Wednesday evening. Jacinta Grandel (9), Isaac Grandel (4), Alec Grandel (11), Sophia Rose (8), Savio Le (9), and Alexander O’Neill (9) were particularly helpful staying after school on Wednesday to set up before the Open House started. We would also like to recognize the following volunteers for coming & leading tours at the Open House itself: Jacinta Grandel (9), Isaac Grandel (4), & Grandel, Sophia Rose (8), Savio Le (9), Alexander O’Neill (9) Matthew Lastimoso (11), John Lastimoso (9), Max Clyde (8), Drew Benton (10), Isabella van Tets (9), Amber Salvador (7), Wolfgang Goorchenko (8), Psalm Goorchenko (6), & Mr. Goorchenko, Alley Pimentel (4), Mr. & Mrs. Pimentel, Charlie Stockard (6), Luke O’Hanley (6), Earthen Le (4), Jacob Nunes (2) & Mrs. Nunes, Nicholas Reiman (3) & Mrs. Reiman, Joseph Bjelland (9), and Eric Bjelland (11).
- THURSDAY 2/18: The Kindergarten and 2nd grade classes went on ice fishing at Jewel Lake. Many of the children caught fish. For some, it was their first time. We would like to thank all of the parents who helped with this very popular field trip. Tysons, Ms. Brookwell, Mr. Taylor, Mr. Jansen, Col. Corcoran, and Mrs. Nunes all helped drive. Mr. Carlson, Mr. Reiman, Mr. & Mrs. Montague, and Mr. Murray all helped prepare the ice and chaperone the students while fishing.
- THURSDAY 2/18: We would like to thank Jacinta Grandel (9) for acting as a guide for a shadow student who will be entering 9th grade at HRA next school year.
- FRIDAY 2/19: Many of the grades observe the Fridays of Lent by going to the chapel to pray the Stations of the Cross. Ask your children what special things their classes are doing to observe the season of Lent this year. The Upper School always prays the Stations of the Cross from 11:30 a.m. to Noon. Parents are always welcome to join us.
- FRIDAY 2/19: Upper School Mary Day Schedule – The 7th-10th grades met for the afternoon with their science classes to make the final preparations on their science projects. 11th & 12th grades worked on their theses and met with advisors.
- FRIDAY 2/19: 10th grade provided meatless soup for their fellow students in the Upper School during lunch as an act of charity and fellowship for this Friday of Lent.
- SATURDAY 2/20: The Board of Trustees moved their meeting this month from Thursday to Saturday, 7:00-9:00 a.m.
THE WEEK TO COME:
- MONDAY 2/22: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:00 a.m.
- TUESDAY 2/23: Lower School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m. with Fr. Arthur Roraff.
- WEDNESDAY 2/24: Pizza Day
- THURSDAY 2/25: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 10:15 a.m. with one of the Dominican chaplains.
- FRIDAY 2/25: Classes will visit the JPII Chapel throughout the day to pray the Stations of the Cross.
- FRIDAY 2/25: Upper School Joseph Schedule: Community Service
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS:
- The HRA Science Fair will be held on the morning of Thursday, February 25th in St. Dominic’s Hall. Parents are welcome to visit the science fair and peruse projects between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- STUDENT PRESENTATIONS will be the week of March 7th – 11th. K-12 students will each demonstrate some of the lessons they have learned this year to their parents and teachers in a formal presentation. This event takes the place of traditional Parent/Teacher Conferences. Appointments will be scheduled the week prior. 3rd Quarter grades will be distributed at the end of each Presentation.
- Upper School dismissed at Noon Monday-Thursday.
- K-12 will be dismissed at Noon on Thursday, March 10th.
- There will be no classes for K-12 on Friday, March 11th. This day is considered a Student In-service day. Students will have school work to complete while they are at home.
- Easter Vacation will begin with Holy Thursday, March 24th. School will resume on Monday, April 4th.