Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- NEW SPRING P.A. FUNDRAISER – The HRA Parent Association is hosting a collection drive for clothing and small household items. Value Village is partnering with us for a Rummage Sale on Wednesday, April 11th. BRING YOUR GENTLY USED ITEMS TO HRA between MONDAY-WEDNESDAY, APRIL 9TH-11TH, and Holy Rosary Academy will receive a portion of the proceeds.
- SCHOOLBELLES is having a sale – several items are available BOGO 50%. Use the link on our school webpage to learn more.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fr. A. J. Fisher is still homebound after his knee replacement and fewer people are coming to visit him. He has requested adults, individuals or pairs, to stay with him for four-hour shifts. Please consider helping in this corporal work of mercy. Call the HRA Front Office for Fr. Fisher’s contact information and learn more about how you can help this retired priest.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Forbes, Ms. Hodel, and Br. Joshua Gatus for subbing in 6th Grade this week.
- Thank you to Taylor for subbing in Music on Thursday.
- Thank you to Will Deering (10th) for shoveling snow again last weekend and to Will, Jonas Knox (8th) & Christopher Knox who consistently chip ice and shovel snow from pathways around campus.
- High School Track – New practice schedule: Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday, 3:30-5:30 p.m. Practices will start on campus and end at the Subway Center on Old Seward Hwy.
- 5th-8th Grade Indoor Soccer – New practice schedule: Monday & Wednesday, 3:30-6:00 p.m. Practices will start on campus and end at the Stellar Secondary School gym.
- Congratulations to Amarisa Manuel (6th) who took 1st place at the Co-ed State Wrestling Tournament last weekend and the Girls’ State Wrestling Tournament the week before. Go, Knights!
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 3/12: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Miss Neumayr noted the significance of the 4th Week of Lent and Latare Sunday.
- We welcomed our shadow students for the day. (Now that spring is here, we will frequently have visitors on campus and in the classrooms deciding whether they will join the HRA family next school year.)
- The guest speakers representing NASA last week had been so impressed by the school and students that one of them made a $1000 donation before he left.
- The winners of the HRA Science Fair:
- 5th Grade – 3rd place: Nicolas Reiman; 2nd place: Sophia Woyte; 1st place: Cameron Dixon
- 6th Grade – 3rd place: Verity Pendergast; 2nd place: Isaac Gradel; 1st place: Arabella Allen
- 7th Grade – 3rd place: Christian Bolin; 2nd place: Michael Krol tied with the team of Riley Smith & Gwen Holder; 1st place: Tina Nguyen
- 8th Grade – 3rd place: Jonas Knox; 2nd place: Mikael Hilario; 1st place: Emma Cookson
- 9th Grade – 3rd place: Anndawnika Neavill; 2nd place: Collin Wright; 1st place: Yordana Sidun
- 10th Grade – 3rd place: Giselle Rachels; 2nd place: Grace Woyte; 1st place: Macklen Bell
- The science fair judges were all very impressed by the quality of projects and how well-spoken the students were when presenting their projects. All students are encouraged to participate in the AK Science & Engineering Fair.
MONDAY 3/12: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. spoke to the Upper School students in preparation for the Dominican Rite Mass on St. Joseph’s Day. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David.
TUESDAY 3/13: Mr. Fleming, the Board of Trustees Secretary and School Liaison, visited each of the classes for the annual Safe Environment talk.
TUESDAY 3/13: Grades 3-12 took the final Mathfax test of the year. The students with the highest combined scores in each class will be recognized at the end of the school year.
TUESDAY 3/13: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. and Fr. Christopher Brannon, O.P. came to hear Confession for the 3rd-5th Grades before Mass.
TUESDAY 3/13: Fr. Whitney presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Whitney. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Isaac Grandel (6th), Earthen Le (6th) and Cameron Dixon (5th)
- Prayer Leader: Ellie Droege (6th)
- First Reading: Jadyn Hill (6th)
- Responsorial Psalm: Verity Pendergast (6th)
- Petitions: Andy Duryea (6th)
WEDNESDAY 3/14: The Upper School celebrated Day by sharing pies with each other at lunch and in math classes and wearing pi pins
THURSDAY 3/15: 3rd Grade enjoyed a class retreat at Holy Family Cathedral. Thank you to Miss Neumayr for giving a special talk to the class during the morning.
THURSDAY 3/15: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: Gary Holder (9th)
- First Reading: Gabi Holder (12th)
- Petitions: Lael Droege (12th)
- Cantor: Jacinta Grandel (11th)
THURSDAY 3/15: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. heard Confessions for the Upper School in the morning and for the 6th Grade in the afternoon.
FRIDAY 3/16: Upper School followed the Mary Schedule and went throughout Anchorage for community service projects. We thank the parent volunteers who drove and chaperoned students during community service: Mrs. Bohne took students to the Pioneer Home, Mrs. Bolin supervised students at Holy Family Cathedral, Mr. Justiniano chaperoned student at Serendipity Adult Day Care Center, Mrs. Justiniano went to Clare House with students, Mr. Kelly drove a bus-load of students to FISH Food Pantry, and Mrs. Rawalt visited Fr. Fisher with a pair of students. The Seniors went to Beans Café with Mr. Hodgson and Dr. Walters led her Biology students through a long lab for the afternoon.
FRIDAY 3/16: Upper School shared a soup lunch provided by the 7th & 8th Grades after praying the Stations of the Cross together in the JPII Chapel.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 3/19: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 3/19: K-12 Dominican Rite Mass with Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. in celebration of the Feast of St. Joseph, 9:45 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. There will also be a Spaghetti Lunch for the students as part of the celebration. Please contact the Share Hour Co-ordinator if you would like to contribute a spaghetti dish or garlic bread for the lunch.
MONDAY 3/19: HS Drama Club meeting in Kolbe Lobby
TUESDAY 3/20: Guest speaker, Thomas Awiepo will address the students about his experience with Catholic Relief Services as an Operation Rice Bowl recipient.
WEDNESDAY 3/21: Upper School Joseph Schedule – Grades 7-12 will be dismissed at noon.
WEDNESDAY 3/21: Upper School Student Presentations will begin at 1:00 p.m. by appointment.
THURSDAY 3/22: 1st Grade field trip to the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts to see Step Afrika!
THURSDAY 3/22: Upper School Mary Schedule
THURSDAY 3/22: K-12 Noon Dismissal – K-12 Student Presentations will begin at 1:00 p.m. by appointment.
FRIDAY 3/9: K-12 Student Presentations – NO CLASSES, students will be assigned work to do at home while teachers meet with families by appointment throughout the day.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- NO SCHOOL FOR EASTER VACATION: MARCH 29-APRIL 8
- CLASSES RESUME Monday, April 9th.
- The final Parent Association Meeting will be Monday, April 16th in the Kolbe Lobby, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Greek & Roman Festival, Friday, April 20th
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: Formation in Spiritual Discernment That the Church may appreciate the urgency of formation in spiritual discernment, both on the personal and communitarian levels.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Mara El-Khoury
- Katy Morrison
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)