Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Returning families have until May 1st to secure their child’s seat for the coming school year. There is the possibility of filling over half of our grades in 2017-18 and three grades already have waiting lists. Bring your Re-enrollment forms and fees to the Office by Monday, May 1st or we will not be able to guarantee your child’s seat in class next fall.
- The major dates for the 2017-18 school year have been posted on the Sycamore calendar and HRA website. Paper copies are also available in the Front Office.
- Archbishop Etienne is sponsoring a Golf Tournament for seminarian education on June 7th. Sponsorship information is available through Laurie Evans-Dinneen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (907)297-7789. (Sponsorship forms are attached to this email.)
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Kudos to Ciara McMorrow and Lael Droege for organizing a youth sidewalk March for Life on Saturday, April 22nd from 12:00-1:00 p.m.
- Thank you to Mr. Burger for subbing for Dr. Walters on Tuesday and for Mr. Mason on Wednesday.
- Thank you to Mrs. Cookson for subbing for Fr. Manzano on Tuesday.
- Thank you to Mrs. Dixon for subbing for Mrs. Shaut on Thursday afternoon.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 4/17: We hope everyone had a blessed Easter Monday at home with their families.
TUESDAY 4/18: Miss Neumayr made the following announcements at the Morning Assembly:
- Happy Easter – This feast is the most important of the Liturgical Year, because Jesus rose from the dead, conquering sin and death, to deliver mankind from sin. Therefore, we celebrate for a whole week.
- Students were reminded to buckle down to their work for the last month of school and to please pray for our graduating seniors, who will move on to a new phase of their lives.
- Thanks to the elementary students for offering their rosaries for the repose of the soul of benefactor, Mary Louise Rasmuson on Tuesday, April 11th.
- Congratulations to Amarisa Manuel (5th) and Belicia Manuel (3rd) for their success on the wrestling mats at their tournament over the Easter break. Amarisa placed 1st in her category and Belicia placed 2nd.
- We ask everyone to pray for the juniors and seniors as they defend their theses next week.
- The school received an invitation to the priestly ordination of Dcn. Bryce Evans, brother of Miss Evans (4th Grade teacher), on May 27th in St. Paul, MN.
TUESDAY 4/18: 5th Grade enjoyed a field trip to the Alaska Native Heritage Center. TUESDAY 4/18: The Lower School attended Mass in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Brosamer in the afternoon. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Joshua Fouch (6th) and Isaac Grandel (5th)
- Readers: Tina Nguyen (6th) and Miguel Reyes (6th)
THURSDAY 4/20: For the first time, the Kindergarten students have taken graduation portraits. Pictures will arrive in two to three weeks and parents can order the prints they like after seeing the samples.
THURSDAY 4/20: 1st Grade went to the Alaska Performing Arts Center to see “The Tree and the Donkey Who Loved to Sing.” Thank you to Mr. Taylor for driving the class in the bus at the last minute.
THURSDAY 4/20: The Upper School attended Mass in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Manzano. Thank you, Fr. Manzano. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: Peter Anderson (10th)
- Readers: Emma Cookson (7th) and Grace Ward (7th)
- Cantor: Dr. Walters
THURSDAY 4/20: U.S. Senator, Dan Sullivan, visited the campus to meet and speak with Grades 3-12. He spoke about his life and daily routine in Washington D.C. and answered student questions. He first addressed the elementary students then later spoke with the Upper School. At the end, the students all came together and sang the National Anthem, Alaska Flag Song, and the HRA Fight Song for him. We would like to thank the Duryea family for providing cake for a brief reception afterward.
THURSDAY 4/20: Mid-Quarter Progress Reports went home with students on Thursday and Friday. Please sign and return your child’s progress report to your child’s teacher by the end of next week, Friday, April 28th.
FRIDAY 4/21: GREEK & ROMAN FESTIVAL – Everyone had a great time at the Greek & Roman Festival! Thank you to all the teachers and students for working so hard on your games and skits! Thank you, also, to the following parents for their help in running the event so smoothly: Mrs. Carlson, our potluck coordinator, Mrs. O’Hanley, Mr. & Mrs. Gonzalez, Mrs. O’Neill, Mrs. Murray, who brought her mother to help too, Mrs. Stevens, Mr. & Mrs. Bune, Mr. Sanchez, Mr. & Mrs. Dixon, Mrs. Pfeiffer, Mr. & Mrs. Longlet, Dr. van Tets, and all the other parents who came to enjoy the festival with us.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 4/24: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MODAY-FRIDAY 4/42-28: 3rd-6th Grade SCANTRON Testing
TUESDAY 4/25: Upper School Mary Schedule with Junior Thesis Defense in the afternoon.
TUESDAY 4/25: Kindergarten & 1st Grade will go on a field trip to JBER
TUESDAY 4/25: Faculty Appreciation Luncheon – Appetizer theme: Mrs. Tiwari has had limited response for this Share Hour Opportunity. Please contact her, if you intend to bring a dish for the luncheon.
WEDNESDAY 4/26: Upper School Joseph Schedule with Junior Thesis Defense in the afternoon.
WEDNESDAY 4/26: Pizza Day
THURSDAY 4/27: Upper School Mary Schedule with dance lessons in the afternoon.
THURSDAY 4/27: All School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall at 10:15 a.m.
FRIDAY 4/28: Upper School Joseph Schedule with Senior Thesis Defense in the afternoon. The Senior Thesis Defense will break from 3-4 p.m. and resume at 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- 2nd, 7th & 8th Grade SCANTRON Testing will take place May 1st, 3rd, & 4th.
- The Festival of Poetry & Song will be on Friday, May 5th at 7:00 p.m. in the Deacons Hall at St. Patrick’s Church.
- Upper School Prom at the Sheraton Hotel downtown on Saturday, May 6th from 7-11 p.m.
- 12th Grade Exams will take place in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library May 11th & 12th.
- 7th-11th Grade Exams will take place on May 15th & 16th.
- 12th Grade Baccalaureate Mass & Reception – Tuesday, May 16th at Holy Family Cathedral
- 12th Grade Graduation Mass and Ceremonies – Noon, Wednesday, May 17th at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral. All students, faculty and staff will attend the graduation. Students must be picked up at OLG by 3:30 p.m. There will be no After School Care on this day.
- K-6th Grade Field Day at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral on Thursday, May 18th
- 7th-12th Grade Field Trip on Thursday, May 18th
- 6th & 8th Grade Graduation Ceremony and Reception Thursday, May 18th at 7:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
- End of Year Awards Ceremony & Kindergarten Graduation Friday, May 18th
- End of Year BBQ Friday, May 18th with 1:00 p.m. dismissal. There will be no After School Care on this day.