Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Catholic Radio for Anchorage has a new studio and we are ready to show it off! – Please come to the 2nd floor of the St. John Bosco Building on the HRA Campus, Saturday, November 25th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.where KHRM 94.1 FM will host an open house for listeners, the public, and clergy. We can even put you ON THE AIR! Come join the celebration of our new studio and learn more about Catholic Radio for Anchorage. Food and drinks provided.
- We have noticed some vehicles driving too fast in the school parking lots. Please remember to maintain a speed no greater than 10 mph in our parking lots. Thank you.
- Looking for a student Math Tutor – One of the 4th grade girls is in need to a math tutor to help her with division. Her family is looking for a High School girl to help her and be a role model for girls with math knowledge. If your daughter is interested in this extracurricular service project, please contact Mrs. Furby in the Front Office for more information.
- Open Duplex Rental – Mr. & Mrs. Dubey (an Elementary family) have an open unit in their duplex available for rent:
Newly renovated duplex with big fenced yard. 3 bedroom and 2 bath rental duplex unit has new kitchen, new appliances and new lighting. Close to airport, groceries and other amenities.
Mrs. Furby will assist you in contacting the Dubeys to make inquiries about the unit. Photos available. HRA families will be given a preference.
- Preview and order Student Portraits from the LifeTouch Retake & Make-up Day using the LifeTouch Portal online: https://portal.lifetouch.com/. The LifeTouch website is not able to process online orders for class pictures. To order class pictures for your child, please contact Mrs. Furby in the Front Office by Monday, November 20th.
- Women’s Morning of Reflection at St. Patrick’s Parish – All women of the Archdiocese of Anchorage are invited to attend the Women’s Morning of Reflection on Saturday, December 9th. The event will begin at 9:00 a.m. and include Confession, Mass, talks from Fr. Ben Madanu and Miss Catherine Neumayr, and a light lunch. For more information about attending or volunteering to help, contact Anna Abbott: email@example.com.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to everyone who contributed canned vegetables for the Thanksgiving Blessing food barrels. The Upper School won our informal competition by overflowing their collection barrel. Our cans will be distributed at St. Patrick’s parish on Monday, November 20th. That single distribution location will provide Thanksgiving meals for 1600 families. Holy Rosary Academy is proud to be a part of this exceptional program. Go Knights!
- Thank you to Patton for subbing for Mr. Eidem on Monday and Wednesday.
- Thank you to Holder for donating a laminator to the school.
- Jacinta Grandel (11th) competed in the 2017 Alaska Youth Education in Shooting Sports Varsity Trap Tournament on Saturday, November 11th and earned a silver medal in her division. Excellent shooting in 28 degree weather! Go Knights!
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling – Michael Lucas won the Peninsulas Duals in Nikiski last weekend with 7-0 matches. Go Knights!
- The wrestling team competes at the Lancer Smith Memorial Tournament at the Menard Sports Center in Wasilla on November 17-18.
- The 5th-8th Grade Basketball Team lost a close game to St. John’s Academy on 11/7 with a final score of 33-38, then defeated Faith Lutheran on 11/10 with a score of 31-24. Go Knights!
- The results of the basketball games on 11/16 vs. Birchwood and on 11/17 vs. Anchor Lutheran will be reported at the next Assembly.
- Upcoming Basketball Games – There are no basketball games scheduled for Thanksgiving week.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 11/13: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Miss Neumayr thanked the students and teachers for a great last week.
- Students are encouraged to continue collecting corn and green beans for the Thanksgiving Blessing canned vegetable drive. This annual unofficial competition has resulted in an Elementary victory in can collection for the last few years, but the Upper School is making an excellent show of it this November!
- Miss Neumayr summarized the week to come, completing the quick Assembly this week.
MONDAY 11/13: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. observed the 10th Grade Church History class.
TUESDAY 11/14: Fr. Whitney presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Whitney. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Isaac Grandel (6th) and Stephen Hart (6th)
- Readers & Prayer Leader: Ellie Droege (6th), Jadyn Hill (6th), Verity Pendergast (6th), and Earthen Le (6th)
WEDNESDAY 11/15: Myth vs. History Cardboard Boat Regatta – 5th, 6th, & 2nd Grades went to the West High School swimming pool for a cardboard boat race between 5th Grade, who made boats inspired by historical explorers, and 6th Grade, who made boats inspired by adventurous characters from Greek myth. The 2nd Grade cheered for the competitors with homemade signs for their favorite team. The competition consisted of a boat evaluation by an unbiased judge (the pool lifeguard) and a race across the pool to test the most seaworthy vessel. The winners were:
- 1st Place: Team St. Brendan designed by Luke Syren (5th) and Aodhan Nikada (5th)
- 2nd Place: Po-Sei-Don’s T-95 designed by Isaac Grandel (6th), Andy Duryea (6th), and Earthen Le (6th)
- 3rd Place: Team Leif Ericson & Eric the Red designed by Sophia Woyte (5th) and Victoria Beaty (5th)
After the competition, students enjoyed 30 minutes of free swim and a pizza party before returning to school. Thank you to all the parents & grandparents who drove for the field trip: Mr. & Mrs. Bittner, Ms. Brookwell, Mr. Hart, Mrs. Reiman, and Mr. & Mrs. Woyte.
WEDNESDAY 11/15: Thank you to Ms. Brookwell, Mrs. Cedillo, and Mrs. Fouch for helping serve pizza to participating students on Pizza Day.
THURSDAY 11/16-17: Jr. High Retreat – 7th & 8th Grade students enjoyed their first day of retreat on campus with Dr. Walters and Mr. & Mrs. Shoop.
THURSDAY 11/16: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. presided over the Jr. High Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: Mikael Hilario (8th)
- Readers: Grace Ward (8th) & Emma Cookson (8th)
- Prayer Leader: Miguel Reyes (7th)
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 11/16-17: High School Retreat – High School students and faculty chaperones went to St. Theresa’s Camp in Wasilla, AK for an overnight retreat led by Fr. Gabiel Mosher O.P. Thank you to Camp Director, Rudy Poglitsh, parent volunteers, Mr. Hart, Ms. Hodel, Mr. & Mrs. McMorrow, and Mr. Rawalt, and faculty chaperones, Miss Neumayr, Miss Morris, Miss Ramos, Mr. Hodgson, Mr. Murray, and Mr. Welsh. It was a wonderful experience!
FRIDAY 11/17: Jr. High Retreat – 7th & 8th Grades went to St. Andrew parish in Eagle River for the second day of their retreat. Thank you to Retreat Leaders, Ricky & Sarah Shoop, faculty chaperone, Mrs. Cookson, and parent volunteers, Mrs. Bolin, Mrs. Koop, and Mrs. Holder. The kids had a great time and loved spending the day at St. Andrew’s.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 11/20: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 11/20: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will be visiting the 8th Grade Theology class.
TUESDAY 11/21: All School Mass – 9:45 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall with the Dominican chaplains.
WEDNESDAY 11/22: Upper School Special Schedule A – The Upper School students will follow Special Schedule A in the morning and then spend the afternoon in an All-Upper School Seminar in which students of mixed grades will have a large group discussion on a short work of literature or philosophy.
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 11/22-23: There will be NO SCHOOL for the Thanksgiving holiday.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- There will be a Rabbit Show in St. Dominic’s Hall on Saturday, December 2nd. Fliers will be distributed after Thanksgiving.
- Grades K-12 will attend Liturgy at St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church for the Feast of St. Nicholas at 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 6th.
- There will be NO SCHOOL on FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8TH in observance of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
- The 2nd Quarter ends on Wednesday, December 20th. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. There will be no After School Care that day.
Holy Father’s Intentions: Christians in Asia.
That Christians in Asia, bearing witness to the Gospel in word and deed, may promote dialogue, peace, and mutual understanding, especially with those of other religions.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- The 21 year old Alaskan woman in Nevada who was injured in an accident.
- For the protection of all those living in the path of dangerous storms this hurricane season
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- Shelby Benton (HRA parent), recovering from gall bladder surgery
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Bird (former tenant) recovering from surgery
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goal keeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Therese Syren, recovering from surgery for a kidney stone
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Denzer (HRA parent)
- Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Shoop & Josiah
- Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)