Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- EARLY RE-ENROLLMENT OPEN! – The Early Re-Enrollment Discount period for the 2018-2019 school year will be open February 15th-March 16th. Each family that pays their Re-Enrollment Fees on or before Friday, March 16th will earn a $100 discount. The Enrollment Fees this year are $300 per student. Login to the HRA Sycamore site to complete your re-enrollment online by clicking on My School | Enrollment to register your children for the next school year.
- REMINDER – Your little ones can be very hard to see in the mornings as they cross the parking lot. If you do not walk with them into the campus, please instruct them to use the pathway along the front of the Bosco Building to go to their classes. This practice both keeps the children safer and promotes a smooth steady traffic pattern in the mornings and afternoons. Thank you.
- Women’s Morning of Reflection at St. Patrick’s Parish on Saturday, March 3rd – See attached flyer.
- Girl Scout Cookies for the Troops – You can donate Girl Scout cookies to the troops of the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan. One of our 4th Graders, Anya, is a Girl Scout and her family will ship cookies to Afghanistan (c/o Fr. Ken Bolin) on behalf of everyone that wants to donate cookies to the troops. Contact Gabrielle Bryant at email@example.com to make a donation purchase.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fr. A. J. Fisher is in need of help after his knee replacement surgery. He is currently unable to walk and needs assistance moving about his home. He has requested adults, individuals or pairs, to stay with him for four-hour shifts. Please consider helping in this corporal work of mercy. Call the HRA Front Office for Fr. Fisher’s contact information and learn more about how you can help this retired priest.
- Civic Education Opportunity – One of the HRA parents has volunteered to teach a Nuclear Response Workshop in St. Dominic’s Hall this weekend. Please contact Mrs. Furby for times if you are interested. (See attached flyer)
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Will Deering (10th), Christopher Knox (11th), Jonas Knox (8th), Isaac Grandel (6th), Dalton Smith (5th), Gregory Biegel(5th), Matthew Biegel (3rd), Anthony Murray (4th), and Gillian Holder (4th) for shoveling snow on Thursday.
- 5th – 8th Grade Volleyball – The volleyball team played at Lumen Christi Secondary School on Friday evening. Results will be announced at the Morning Assembly.
- 5th – 8th Grade Co-ed Indoor Soccer – Practices will take place at Stellar Secondary School from 5-7 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays starting February, 26th until games begin, then they will practice only twice weekly. Your child can still join the soccer team if interested.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 2/19: We hope everyone enjoyed a happy Presidents Day at home with their families.
TUESDAY 2/20: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Congratulations to the Denzer family on the birth of their new son, Charles.
- Miss Neumayr offered a few words to reflect upon for the first week of Lent.
- There were great reviews of the High School Retreat sponsored by St. Benedict parish. Many members of the HRA community attended: students, teachers, and alumni.
- Miss Neumayr acknowledged the achievements of those students mentioned in the Weekly Update last week and reviewed the plan of the current week before we recognized those with birthdays this week.
WEDNESDAY 2/21: Grades K-12 enjoyed a Prehistory themed Spirit Day. The costumes were very creative and entertaining. The most popular by far was Ashley Stephens (10th) in her inflatable T-Rex costume.
THURSDAY 2/22: HRA welcomed two observers to the campus who were evaluating the school as a part of our NAPCIS re-accreditation. Thank you to Mr. Bob Bird and Mr. Joel Davidson for sharing your time and insight with the school for this important project. The observers’ report will be reviewed by NAPCIS, followed by a full report of the results of the evaluation.
FRIDAY 2/23: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. celebrated Mass for the whole school community in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Stephen Hart (6th), and Isaac Grandel (6th)
- First Reading: Mitchell Marquez (9th)
- Cantor: John Lastimoso (11th)
- Petitions: Elena Biegel (10th)
FRIDAY 2/23: The Upper School followed a Mary Schedule with Community Service in the afternoon. Thank you to all the parent volunteers who helped with transportation and supervision. Mr. Patrick Murray and his son visited our former chaplain, Fr. Fisher, with two students. Mr. & Mrs. Bratulescu took four students to Clare House. Mrs. Bohne took a group to the Pioneer Home for their ice cream social. Mr. Juntiniano took a crew of seven to St. Francis House Food Pantry. The teachers went with students to BEANS Café, FISH Food Pantry, Holy Family Cathedral, and Serendipity Adult Day Care Center.
FRIDAY 2/23: The 11th Grade made and served meatless soups for their schoolmates after Stations of the Cross as a part of our Upper School Lenten traditions of prayer and charity for our neighbor. This tradition of students making soups for each other on the Fridays of Lent has gone on for over twelve years now and has become something the students look forward to every year.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY-FRIDAY: Iowa Testing for grades 3-8 – The school is using the Iowa Tests this year to determine if we want to change our nationally normed testing method or if we will continue to use SCANTRON in future years.
MONDAY 2/26: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 2/26: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. will visit the 11th Grade Morality class that he missed on the Snow Day.
MONDAY 2/26: HS Drama Club meeting in St. Dominic’s Hall after school
TUESDAY 2/27: Upper School is taking the National Greek Exam and National Latin Exam in St. Dominic’s Hall during their language period.
TUESDAY 2/27: Elementary Mass with Fr. Robert Whitney in the JPII Chapel, 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 2/28: HS Drama Club meeting in St. Dominic’s Hall after school
WEDNESDAY 2/28: Enrollment Recruiting Open House – Share Hour Opportunity! Students and parents are invited to help at the Open House from 6-8 p.m. Students will give campus tours and parents are encouraged to greet guests and answer questions that prospective families have about the school.
THURSDAY 3/1: 9th & 10th Grade Confession offered before Mass.
THURSDAY 3/1: Upper School Mass with the Dominican chaplains, 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY 3/1: Br. Joshua Gatus, O.P. will continue training the 5th Grade altar servers.
THURSDAY 3/1: National Mythology Exam for Grades 3, 5, & 9
FRIDAY 3/2: Upper School Special Schedule A – Students will have an opportunity to practice their science fair presentations before First Friday Adoration & Stations of the Cross.
FRIDAY 3/2: 4th Grade will walk to West High School to see the matinee performance of their school play.
FRIDAY 3/2: Upper School soup lunch provided by the 10th Grade.
SATURDAY 3/3: World Language Declamation State Championship – Select High School students are representing HRA with their Latin poetry declamations.
SATURDAY 3/3: Upper School Game Night hosted by the 12th Grade, 6:00 p.m. in the Bosco Bldg.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- We are very excited to welcome two speakers from NASA, who are coming to speak to grades 3-12 on March 7th. Thank you to Mr. Dick Armstrong for arranging this event.
- HRA Science Fair, March 8th
- Spring Student Presentations, Upper School: 3/21-23 and Elementary: 3/22-23
- We will celebrate Joseph Day with a K-12 Dominican Rite Mass and spaghetti lunch on Monday, March 19th. Please contact the HRA Share Hour Coordinator if you would like to bring a pan of spaghetti or loaf of garlic bread for the event.
- NO SCHOOL FOR EASTER VACATION: MARCH 29-APRIL 8
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Universal: Say “No” to Corruption – That those who have material, political or spiritual power may resist any lure of corruption.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Dr. Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee) having surgery
- Mara ElKhoury
- Katy Morrison
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of Yrvin)
- Theresa Bird
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker, in home-hospice for terminal cancer)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)