Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Half-Day on Wednesday, May 23rd – Please make special arrangements on Graduation Day! Students should come directly to Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral at 8:00 a.m. for school that day and be picked-up at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral at 1:00 p.m. THERE WILL BE NO BEFORE SCHOOL CARE OR AFTER SCHOOL CARE ON WEDNESDAY, MAY 23RD.
- LAST WEEK OF RETURNING FAMILY PREFERENCE – Re-enroll your child for next year! Spaces are still open but we will not be able to give preference to returning families after Tuesday, May 15th.
- The DEADLINE for Financial Assistance Applications is Tuesday, May 15th.
- DESPERATELY NEEDED:
- Part-Time Night Care for Fr. Fisher, retired Catholic Priest. No heavy work involved. Compensation & hours – NEGOTIABLE. Call Fr. Fisher at 522-3725
- BBQ Flyers – The student brought home flyers for the BBQ Potluck assignments for the last day of school. The flyer is also available as a pdf for your convenience.
- UPDATE SHARE HOUR ENTRIES – As we come to the end of the school year, we want to make sure that everyone meets their Share Hour Expectation. Login to Sycamore and make sure that all of your Share Hours have been entered. Please call the Front Office if your approved Share Hours do not match your personal records. All Share Hours must be completed by June 30th, 2018 or you will be billed for uncompleted hours.
- Campus Allergies – The school has been deeply affected by allergens this semester. We have been trying to make the campus a safe and comfortable place for all members of the student body and staff.
- We ask that people do not bring the following items on campus at all for the rest of the year: Latex; lilies; and paint of any kind.
- We also need to be sure to keep peanuts away from the 2nd Grade class.
- We have also had students discover previously unknown allergies this year. Please log into Sycamore and make sure your child’s medical information is up to date.
- Benedict parish will host a showing of the film, Paul, Apostle of Christ on May 15th at 6:30 p.m. in the Lumen Christi gym. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. and there will be a Q&A session with Executive Producer, Eric Groth following the film at 8:15 p.m.
- SCHOOLBELLES is having a CUSTOMER APPRECIATION SALE on jumpers, skirts, & pants. Make sure to size-up when you order so things fit in the fall! Consider asking them to make the skirts longer and hem the extra length for when your girls grow mid-year. This way you will not have to buy new skirts when they still fit in the waist.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Congratulations to Shannon Dixon (3rd) for winning the title of Miss Rodeo Alaska Sweetheart.
- Congratulations to Olive Brookwell (2nd) who participated in the May Crowning at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral last weekend.
- Track: The 5th-8th Grade Track sent two students to the Faith Lutheran Invitational Track Meet last weekend. Max Broek (5th) placed 1st in the 200 m and 1600 m runs and placed 2nd in the 100 m dash. Aodhan Nakada (5th) placed 3rd in both the 800 m and 1600 m runs. Results have yet to be published for Max’s shot put competition, so there is still more sports news to come. Go, Knights!
- Congratulations to the Manuel sisters who all competed in a wrestling tournament over the weekend. Amarisa (6th), Belicia (4th), and Kaili (3rd) all won the Girls Tournaments in their age categories. They also placed very well in the co-ed tournaments. Amarisa placed 4th overall in Freestyle, 6th in Greco-Roman, and 6th in Folkstyle wrestling. Belicia (4th) placed 2nd in the Freestyle and 6th in the Greco-Roman co-ed tournament for her age category. Kaili placed 6th in the Freestyle in her age category for the co-ed tournament. Arianna (1st) placed 3rd overall in the Girls tournament for her age category as well.
- Congratulations to Michael Lucas (12th) who is the “Triple Crown” winner of the Juniors Division 152 lb. weight class for the Alaska USA Folkstyle, Greco-Roman, and Freestyle wrestling tournaments.
- Congratulations to our alumna, Sarah Lucas (’16)! She will represent Benedictine College for Women’s Triple Jump at the NAIA National Track Meet in Gulf Shores, AB on May 24th-26th.
WEEK IN REVIEW
SATURDAY 5/5: Stephen Woyte (12th) has provided the article about the prom:
Holy Rosary’s Class of 2018 threw an excellent prom this past weekend. From 6:30 to 10:30 on Saturday, the Sheraton Anchorage’s Summit Ballroom served as our portal to Narnia, “where Narnia and England seemed to meet.” This quote from The Last Battle (the final book in C. S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia) was the guide behind their theme. The entrance side of the ballroom was decorated as the wartime version of London’s famous King’s Cross Train Station and the opposite side was Narnia’s four seasons, culminating in Queen Jadi’s Winter. Stephen Woyte (12th) and Juliana Biegel (12th) were “elected” prom king and queen respectively, for their hard work in leading and making sure prom 2018 went off without a hitch. To round off the Narnian theme, Joseph Bjelland and Carly Syren were chosen as prom prince and princess – “two dons of Adam and two daughters of Eve.”
MONDAY 5/7: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- We welcomed shadow students who were joining us for the day of classes.
- Miss Neumayr recognized all the teachers who organized the events in our busy week last week.
- Miss Neumayr thanked everyone again for the deeply meaningful and extravagant gift presented to her at the Festival of Poetry & Song. She told the students about how long she has dreamed of visiting Africa for a safari.
- Congratulations to the 12th Grade for their efforts on a beautiful and enjoyable prom last weekend.
- Congratulations to our First Communicants: Aeden Abellada (3rd) celebrated his First Communion at St. Andrew parish and Leo Pendergast (2nd) celebrated the sacrament at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parish last weekend.
- Congratulations to Joseph Bjelland (11th) who received the sacrament of Confirmation at St. Benedict parish on Wednesday, May 2nd.
- Alumnus, Sean Nalty (’12) visited the school last week to let us know that he has completed his Bachelor’s Degree in Metaphysics & Philosophy at Western Washington University and will begin the Ph.D. program in philosophy at Syracuse University, one of the top five graduate programs in the country. He thanks Holy Rosary Academy for preparing him for his education and planting the love of philosophy that has shaped his academic career.
MONDAY 5/7: Upper School choir was canceled because Mrs. Kinder’s son was sick. Please keep Colby Kinder in your prayers.
TUESDAY 5/8: Our Dominican chaplains, Fr. Steven Maekawa, O.P., Fr. Christopher Brannan, O.P., and Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz heard Elementary Confessions for the afternoon. Thank you so much, gentlemen, for providing this sacrament to the students each quarter.
WEDNESDAY 5/9: The Enrollment Recruiting Open House went very well. We are grateful to all the students and parents who came to help: Juliana Biegel (12th), Gabrielle Holder (12th), Jacinta Grandel (11th), John Lastimoso (11th), Savio Le (11th), Alexander O’Neill (11th), Sofia Sidun (11th), Fernanda Cedillo-Rendon (7th), Gwen Holder (7th), Andy Duryea (6th), Isaac Grandel (6th), Mason Nguyen (6th), Gaius Carlson (4th), Gillian Holder (4th), Anthony Murray (4th), Sophia Patton (4th), Julian Reiman (4th), William Patton (2nd), Gemma Holder (1st), Gianna Holder (1st), Gregory Holder (K), Mrs. Justiniano, Mr. & Mrs. Murray, Mr. Welsh, Mrs. Welsh, Miss Morris, Miss Harmston, Mrs. Furby, and Miss Neumayr.
THURSDAY 5/10: Ascension Thursday
THURSDAY 5/10: 5th/6th Grade spring retreat at the Eagle River Nature Center
THURSDAY 5/10: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. heard Confessions for 11th Grade before Mass.
THURSDAY 5/10: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. presided over the All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
Altar Servers: Mitchell Marquez (9th) and Macklen Bell (10th)
Cantor: Felicity Hart (11th)
Reader: Thomas Biegel (11th)
Petitions: Alexander O’Neill (11th)
FRIDAY 5/11: The Upper School followed a Mary Schedule with an Art History lesson in the afternoon with Dr. Walters.
FRIDAY 5/11: The High School Drama Club performance of Agatha Christi’s And Then There Were None!
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 5/14: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 5/14: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will visit the 9th grade Sacred Scripture class.
TUESDAY 5/15: Elementary Mass with Fr. Patrick Brosamer at 2:15 p.m. in the JPII Chapel
THURSDAY 5/17: K-2 field trip to the Botanical Gardens, 10:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
THURSDAY 5/17: 4th Grade spring retreat at St. Andrew parish
THURSDAY 5/17: Upper School Confession for 10th Grade
THURSDAY 5/17: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel, 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 5/17-18: Senior Exams in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library throughout the day. The library will not be available to other students during exams.
FRIDAY 5/18: The Upper School will follow a Mary Schedule with campus stewardship in the afternoon, including preparations for the HRA Spring Art Walk
FRIDAY 5/18: The HRA Spring Art Walk – Students and Art Teachers will convert St. Dominic’s Hall into an art gallery featuring work from all grades throughout the year. Come join us from 3:00-5:00 p.m. to view the student artwork!
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Senior Baccalaureate Mass on Tuesday, May 22nd at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church. Everyone is invited to attend the Mass at St. Patrick’s Church. There will be a dinner for invited guests after the Mass.
- High School Graduation – All Grades will attend the High School Graduation on Wednesday, May 23rd at 9:00 a.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. Students will be dropped off at OLG rather than HRA in the morning in preparation for the Mass and graduation ceremony. Students will be picked up from OLG at 1:00 p.m. after the graduation. THERE WILL BE NO AFTER SCHOOL CARE on graduation day.
- 6th & 8th Grade Graduation on Thursday, May 24th at 7:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
- HRA Academic Awards Assembly & End of Year BBQ begins 9:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. THERE WILL BE NO AFTER SCHOOL CARE.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: The Mission of the Laity – That the lay faithful may fulfill their specific mission, by responding with creativity to the challenges that face the world today.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- The Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- The Taylor family
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Mara El-Khoury
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
- Curran (HRA Athletic Director) in the hospital over Easter
- Geiermann, Sr. (father of a school Trustee) recovering from a serious surgical procedure
- Cookson, speedy recovery
- Drew Koop (Upper School parent) this week as he faced more treatment for the cancer that has aggressively returned after his last round of therapy.
Expectant Mothers :
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
- Katy Morrison
- Mara El-Khoury (alumna)
- Tyler (Geiermann) Janowski (alumna)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda) & baby Agnes Margaret (born 3/24/18)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) & baby Milo (born 3/26/18)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader) & baby Nashala
- Fleming’s son, daughter-in-law, and new granddaughter: Kylee Fleming
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather), for peace living with advancing dementia, relief from symptoms of his heart condition, and continue to bless and guide his caregivers.
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Evangeline Julia (Mrs. Stromilov’s godmother’s mom)
- Rita Droege (grandmother of Droege students), died March 25th.
- Mary Digney (former owner of the McMac Shoppe, long-time school neighbor & benefactor, and friend to Miss Therese Syren)
- Carlos (friend of the Currans)