Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- EARLY RE-ENROLLMENT OPEN! – The Early Re-Enrollment Discount period for the 2018-2019 school year will be open February 15th-March 16th. Each family that pays their Re-Enrollment Fees on or before Friday, March 16th will earn a $100 discount. The Enrollment Fees this year are $300 per student. Login to the HRA Sycamore site to complete your re-enrollment online by clicking on My School | Enrollment to register your children for the next school year.
- Tuition Increase Notice – HRA tuition will increase for the first time in eight years. In 2018-19, the Elementary tuition will be $5250 and the Upper School tuition will be $6500. (Please see the attached letter for a detailed message from the Principal.)
- CENTURION REMINDER – Now that the HRA Raffle winners have been announced (see entry below) the HRA Administrative Staff is gearing up for the annual Centurion pledge drive! We ask all Holy Rosary Academy families to contribute names and addresses for our spring mailing fundraiser campaign. The first $250 of pledges donated by people from the contact list you provide the school count toward your family Tuition Expectation. Please make sure that all of your names and addresses are submitted to the Front Office by February 15th, 2018. (A copy of the Centurion contact list form is attached to this email.)
- Carpool Help Needed – One of the elementary families who live in the Dimond area is looking for carpooling help while their mom is in her last month of pregnancy and on occasional bedrest. Please contact the Front Office if you are willing to help with carpooling from south Anchorage.
- REMINDER – Your little ones can be very hard to see in the mornings as they cross the parking lot. If you do not walk with them into the campus, please instruct them to use the pathway along the front of the Bosco Building to go to their classes. This practice both keeps the children safer and promotes a smooth steady traffic pattern in the mornings and afternoons. Thank you.
- Women’s Morning of Reflection at St. Patrick’s Parish on Saturday, March 3rd
- Girl Scout Cookies for the Troops – You can donate Girl Scout cookies to the troops of the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan. One of our 4th Graders, Anya, is a Girl Scout and her family will ship cookies to Afghanistan (c/o Fr. Ken Bolin) on behalf of everyone that wants to donate cookies to the troops. Contact Gabrielle Bryant at email@example.com to make a donation purchase.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fr. A. J. Fisher is in need of help after his knee replacement surgery. He is currently unable to walk and needs assistance moving about his home. He has requested adults, individuals or pairs, to stay with him for four-hour shifts. Please consider helping in this corporal work of mercy. Call the HRA Front Office for Fr. Fisher’s contact information and learn more about how you can help this retired priest.
- Civic Education Opportunity – One of the HRA parents has volunteered to teach a Nuclear Response Workshop in St. Dominic’s Hall next weekend. Please contact Mrs. Furby for times if you are interested.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mrs. Harmston, Miss Ramos, Mr. Coe, Miss Knox, Mrs. Bolin, and Mrs. Forbes for subbing this week for teachers who were ill or otherwise off-campus.
- Mrs. Lincoln helped update our information about the eScrip fundraiser program that allows families to donate a percentage of the value of their online purchases to the Holy Rosary Academy Parent Association fund.
- HRA participation in the volleyball rallies last week and this week were canceled scheduling conflicts and absences.
- We are gearing up for 5th – 8th Grade Co-ed Indoor Soccer. Students who are interested can still sign-up. Ask for soccer forms in the Front Office if your child missed the first meeting. Indoor Soccer Fees & Paperwork are due at the next team meeting which will be in the library at 11:30 a.m. on February 19th.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 2/12: Schools throughout Anchorage were closed due to unsafe road conditions. Thank you to Mrs. Furby and Miss Logsdail for their work to communicate the school cancelation to HRA families.
TUESDAY 2/13: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Welcome to our new 5th Grade student, Erik Helzer, who joined us in the middle of last week.
- Thank you to the families and students who helped Miss Neumayr represent HRA at Holy Family Cathedral last weekend: Gabi Holder (12th), Savio Le (11th), Jaxon Justiniano (K), the Cedillo family, and the Knox family.
- We recognized and congratulated the winners of the HRA Latin Declamations that were announced in the last Weekly Update.
- Congratulations to Max Broek (5th), who qualified for the state swim meet in Juneau in multiple events. Go, Knights!
TUESDAY 2/13: The Elementary grades enjoyed their annual Mardi Gras Brunch. Students were decked out in the colorful masks they had made in their Art classes as they ate pancakes, sausage, and pastries. We would like to thank Mrs. Welsh for organizing the event as well as Mrs. Holder, Mrs. Pearce, the Justiniano family, and Fr. Dominic David for flipping pancakes and serving sausage.
TUESDAY 2/13: The Parent Association treated the faculty to a delightful Asian-themed luncheon. Thank you to everyone who contributed dishes and the volunteers who served and cleaned-up afterward, particularly Mr. Beaty, Mrs. Justiniano, Ms. Hallam, Mrs. Marquez, Mrs. Lincoln, Mrs. Bolin, Mrs. Reyes, and Mrs. Bohne.
WEDNESDAY 2/14: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. celebrated the Ash Wednesday Mass for the whole school community in St. Dominic’s Hall. It was a pleasure to see so many parents join us as well. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Alexander O’Neill (11th), Joshua Fouch (7th), and Stephen Hart (6th)
- First Reading: Savio Le (11th)
- Cantor: Felicity Hart (11th)
- Second Reading: John Lastimoso (11th)
- Petitions: Thomas Biegel (11th)
- Ashes: Mr. Hodgson
THURSDAY 2/15: During their normal math time, students took their second round of Mathfax tests. The students with the top three cumulative scores in each class will be recognized at the end of the year Awards Assembly.
THURSDAY 2/15: The Seniors enjoyed an opportunity to attend the Family Alliance Breakfast and talk on the subject of “God and Gender Identity – Why to engage? How to engage?” They listened to a number of respected guests speakers on the topic, What is transgender and gender fluidity? We are very proud of how our students are transitioning into the local community as young adults so seamlessly.
THURSDAY 2/15: A local representative and recruiter for WestPoint visited the 9th-11th Grades during Homeroom to talk about opportunities for attending the U.S. military academies after high school.
THURSDAY 2/15: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. met with the 5th Grade boys for Altar Server Training. Thank you, Br. Josh and thank you, boys.
FRIDAY 2/16: The Upper School followed a Joseph Schedule. The students watched two classic films. The 11th & 12th Grades watched To Kill A Mockingbird so that the excellent courtroom scenes could motivate them for their upcoming trial of Billy Budd in their American Seminar class. 7th -10th Grades watched Singin’ in the Rain. Thank you to Miss Morris, Mr. Welsh, and Mr. Taylor for helping set up the audio/visual equipment for the films and to Mr. Murray, Mr. Hodgson, and Mrs. Bolin for help with supervision.
FRIDAY 2/16: The 12th Grade made and served meatless soups for their schoolmates after Stations of the Cross as a part of our Upper School Lenten traditions of prayer and charity for our neighbor. This tradition of students making soups for each other on the Fridays of Lent has gone on for over twelve years now and has become something the students look forward to every year.
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 2/10-11: Miss Neumayr and the Brookwell family will promote enrollment at Holy Rosary Academy next year by speaking after the Masses at Holy Cross parish. Families are welcome to join them after the Masses to speak to people about HRA. Thank you to the Brookwell family for representing HRA at the Saturday evening vigil Mass.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 2/19: PRESIDENTS DAY, NO SCHOOL
TUESDAY 2/20: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
WEDNESDAY 2/21: Prehistoric Spirit Day for grades K-12
WEDNESDAY 2/21: HS Drama Club in St. Dominic’s Hall after school – The HS Drama club is producing a spring show, Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None
THURSDAY 2/22: All-School Mass with the Dominican chaplains, 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY 2/22: NAPCIS evaluation
FRIDAY 2/16: Upper School Mary Schedule with Community Service
FRIDAY 2/16: Upper School Stations of the Cross in the JPII Chapel during Homeroom for grades 7-12 (All students will have lunch together after Stations and enjoy meatless soups provided by the 11th Grade.)
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Recruiting OPEN HOUSE – Wednesday, February 28th
- We are very excited to welcome two speakers from NASA, who are coming to speak to grades 3-12 on March 7th. Thank you to Mr. Dick Armstrong for arranging this event.
- HRA Science Fair, March 8th
- Spring Student Presentations, Upper School: 3/21-23 and Elementary: 3/22-23
- We will celebrate Joseph Day with a K-12 Dominican Rite Mass and spaghetti lunch on Monday, March 19th. Please contact the HRA Share Hour Coordinator if you would like to bring a pan of spaghetti or loaf of garlic bread for the event.
- NO SCHOOL FOR EASTER VACATION: MARCH 29-APRIL 8
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Universal: Say “No” to Corruption – That those who have material, political or spiritual power may resist any lure of corruption.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee) having surgery
- Mara ElKhoury
- Katy Morrison
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of Yrvin)
- Theresa Bird
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker, in home-hospice for terminal cancer)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)