Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The final Parent Association Meeting will be Monday, April 16th in the Kolbe Lobby, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Greek & Roman Festival Potluck Flyers went home with your children on Friday. Please note the dishes each grade is assigned to bring. (Link provided, in case your flyer was lost.)
- Campus Allergies – The school has been deeply affected by allergens this semester. We have been trying to make the campus a safe and comfortable place for all members of the student body and staff.
- We ask that people do not bring the following items on campus at all for the rest of the year: Latex; lilies; and paint of any kind.
- We also need to be sure to keep peanuts away from the 2nd Grade class.
- We have also had students discover previously unknown allergies this year. Please log into Sycamore and make sure your child’s medical information is up to date.
- ENROLLMENT DEADLINES:
- The deadline for Financial Assistance Applications is Tuesday, May 15th.
- Preference for returning students will also end on Tuesday, May 15th. After this date, we cannot give priority to returning students over new students who apply.
- UPDATE SHARE HOUR ENTRIES – As we come to the end of the school year, we want to make sure that everyone meets their Share Hour Expectation. Login to Sycamore and make sure that all of your Share Hours have been entered. Please call the Front Office if your approved Share Hours do not match your personal records. All Share Hours must be completed by June 30th, 2018 or you will be billed for uncompleted hours.
- Register with Schoolbelles to receive emails about all the sales on uniform items this summer! Our uniform suppliers put different items on sale every month. Use this link to register and stay up to date on all the great deals from our uniform supplier: com/register
- NO PARKING BETWEEN THE LIGHT POST AND FIREWEED LANE IN THE EAST PARKING LOT: The parking spaces between the light post and Fireweed Lane in the East Parking Lot are reserved for the Dental Office. They have called to make complaints about having their parking spaces taken by HRA vehicles or having their vehicles blocked by HRA family vehicles. Please be good neighbors to the business that shares our parking lot.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mrs. Cookson for supervising Upper School lunch on Monday.
- Thank you to Ms. Brookwell for all of her work organizing the Value Village FUNDrive this week and Mrs. Marquez for procuring the Lynden cargo container that we used to collect and transport all of our donations.
- Indoor Soccer for 5th-8th Grades has wrapped up after two multi-team rallies. Only four schools participated in the league this season. Our team trained very well in spite of the small season this year.
- Track practices are well underway for grades 5-12. Students are training at the West High School track after school at 3:45 p.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 4/9: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Welcome back, everyone, and happy Easter!
- With the announcement of our status as one of the first eight K-12 schools on the Cardinal Newman Society’s Catholic School Honor Roll, Miss Neumayr read their Principals of Catholic Identity in Education.
- The High School Drama Club will perform Agatha Christi’s And Then There Were None! on Friday, May 11th. (More details on the show to come in future Updates.)
- There was a preview of the events of the week and we sang “Happy Birthday” to everyone with a birthday this week.
MONDAY 4/9: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 11th Grade Theology class.
WEDNESDAY 4/11: The Upper School rehearsed for the Festival of Poetry & Song with Mrs. Kinder in the afternoon, following a Special Schedule A.
THURSDAY 4/12: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. presided over the All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
Altar Servers: Alexander O’Neill (11th), Macklen Bell (10th), Mikael Hilario (8th)
Cantor: Jon Syren (12th)
Reader: Angel Beaty (9th)
FRIDAY 4/13: Grades K-12 gathered together in St. Dominic’s Hall to watch the skit rehearsals for the Greek & Roman Festival and then each class took time to work on their own projects and activities for the Festival.
FRIDAY 4/13: The 11th Grade hosted their auction-item multi-course Italian Dinner in the St. Cecelia Music Room in the evening. The students, guided by Mr. Klotz, converted St. Cecelia’s into a banquet room and served a home-made seven-course meal for twelve guests.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 4/16: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 4/16: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will be visiting the 2nd Grade Theology class.
MONDAY 4/16: The HS Drama Club will practice in the Kolbe Lobby after school, 3:15-5:00 p.m.
MONDAY 4/16: The Last Parent Association Meeting will be in the Kolbe Lobby, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
TUESDAY 4/17: K-6 Mass in the JPII Chapel, 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 4/18: Pizza Day
WEDNESDAY 4/18: Elementary P.E. running tests at The Dome, noon-3 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 4/18: Drama Club rehearsal in the St. Cecilia Music Room, 3:15 p.m.
THURSDAY 4/19: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. visiting 2nd Grade
THURSDAY 4/19: Upper School Confession for 10th Grade
THURSDAY 4/19: 7-12 Mass in the JPII Chapel, 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY 4/19: 1st & 4th Grade field trip to see Peter and the Wolf at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts
FRIDAY 4/20: Greek & Roman Festival
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- ATTN 11TH GRADE PARENTS – Mark your calendars!
11th Grade Thesis Defense Monday, April 23rd-Thursday, April 26th, 1-3 p.m. daily.
- Monday: Alexander O’Neill, Andrew Cookson, Felicity Hart
- Tuesday: Joseph Bjelland, John Lastimoso
- Wednesday: Isabella van Tets, Carly Syren, Jacinta Grandel
- Thursday: Thomas Biegel, Savio Le
- ATTN 12TH GRADE PARENTS – There has been a slight change in the order of the seniors. Please take note.
12th Grade Thesis Defense Monday, April 23rd-Friday, April 27th, 4-6 p.m. daily and also 1-3 p.m. on Friday
- Monday: Atlin Bell, Michael Lucas
- Tuesday: Gabi Holder, Sam Jemmings
- Wednesday: Ciara McMorrow, Hanna Massell
- Thursday: Stephen Woyte, Lael Droege
- Friday (1-3): Forrest Rose, Juliana Biegel (4-6): Drew Benton, Jon Syren
- May Crowning, 2:00 p.m. – The event will be outside or in St. Dominic’s Hall based on the weather that day.
- Festival of Poetry & Song, Friday, May 4th in St. Patrick’s Deacons Hall, 7 p.m. – Students should arrive at 6:30 p.m.
- Upper School Prom on Saturday, May 5th at the Sheraton Hotel downtown, 7 p.m.
- Enrollment Recruiting Open House, Wednesday, May 9th, 5-8 p.m.
- The High School Drama Club performance of Agatha Christi’s And Then There Were None!
- HRA Art Show – St. Dominic’s Hall will be open from 3-4:30 p.m. to display K-12 student art projects. The art will remain on display the following week during normal school hours.
- Senior Baccalaureate Mass on Tuesday, May 22nd at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church.
- High School Graduation – All Grades will attend the High School Graduation on Wednesday, May 23rd at 9:00 a.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. Students will be dropped off at OLG rather than HRA in the morning in preparation for the Mass and graduation ceremony. Students will be picked up from OLG at 1:00 p.m. after the graduation. THERE WILL BE NO AFTER SCHOOL CARE on graduation day.
- 6th & 8th Grade Graduation in St. Dominic’s Hall at 7:00 p.m.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: The Mission of the Laity – That the lay faithful may fulfill their specific mission, by responding with creativity to the challenges that face the world today.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- The Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- Fr. A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Dr. Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- The Taylor family
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Mara El-Khoury
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
- For the speedy recovery of Bernadette Hart (8th) after her back surgery.
- Curran (HRA Athletic Director) currently in the hospital.
- Jason Wright (Upper School parent) having shoulder surgery
Expectant Mothers :
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
- Katy Morrison
- Mara El-Khoury (alumna)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda) & baby Agnes Margaret (born 3/24/18)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) & baby Milo (born 3/26/18)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader) & baby Nashala
- Mr. Fleming’s son, daughter-in-law, and new granddaughter: Kylee Fleming
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Evangeline Julia (Mrs. Stromilov’s godmother’s mom)
- Rita Droege (grandmother of Droege students), died March 25th.
- Mary Digney (former owner of the McMac Shoppe, long-time school neighbor & benefactor, and friend to Miss Therese Syren)