Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
RE-ENROLLMENT FOR THE 2017-18 SCHOOL YEAR IS NOW OPEN! Each family can save $100 by re-enrolling by March 10th, 2017.
HOW TO RE-ENROLL ON SYCAMORE
- Login to your Sycamore account.
- Go to My School on the left-hand menu bar.
- Select Enrollment from the dropdown menu.
- Select Online Form to open a pop-up window to re-enroll for next school year.
- Click the small box on the right indicating that you have read and accept the message on the first page. Click Re-Enroll above your Family Code and select
- Follow all the prompts that take you through the online application and Submit.
- After completing the application, download 2017-2018 Returning Student Packet.pdf
- Fill out the 2017-2018 Returning Student Packet.pdf and save a copy for each of your enrolled children.
- Email the completed packets to firstname.lastname@example.org or print them and bring them into the Front Office.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS (cont.)
- Fleming will be visiting all the classes to give the annual SAFE ENVIRONMENT Talk to the students on Thursday, March 2nd. Please refer to the presentation schedule below if you are interested in attending this talk when it is given to your child’s class. Please contact the Front Office before Thursday, March 2nd if you have questions about Safe Environment or do not wish your child(ren) to attend this talk.
- 8:10 – 5th Grade
- 8:30 –1st Grade
- 8:50 – 2nd Grade
- 9:10 – Kindergarten
- 9:40 – 6th grade
- 10:05 – 11 & 12th Grades
- 10:40 – 10th Grade
- 11:00 – 7 & 8
- 11:30 – 9th Grade
- 12:15 – 4th Grade
- 12:35 – 3rd Grade
- Student Presentations will take place the week of March 6th-10th. Upper School students will be dismissed at Noon on Wednesday, March 8th. All grades will be dismissed at Noon on Thursday, March 9th. There will be no classes on Friday, March 10th. Parents, please set aside this time to see your children explain some of what they have learned this year.
- Lower School parents can sign up for presentations at your child’s classroom.
- Upper School parents can sign up for presentations online using SignUp Genius this year. Email invitations will be sent to high school parents at the end of the weekend. high parents will receive email invitations to sign up for presentations on Wednesday.
- We have 14 gift certificates from Schoolbelles worth $20 toward your online purchase. Anyone interested in making a Schoolbelles purchase is invited to stop by the Front Office to pick one up.
- SHARE HOUR OPPORTUNITIES: We are looking for parents who can help supervise students in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library from 7:00-7:40 a.m. The number of young students needing morning supervision has increased beyond what the staff can supervise. Is there a parent willing to help supervise from 7:30 to 7:50 a.m. and walk K, 1, 2
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mrs. Leinon for subbing in 5th Grade while Mrs. Williams travels to her son’s wedding in Australia.
- Thank you to Mrs. Cookson for subbing this week for Theology 7 and Algebra for Fr. Manzano.
- Thank you to Alec Grandel for helping repair 6th grade furniture on Friday afternoon.
- Thank you to Alex O’Neil for planning the 4th Grade Orienteering project on Friday afternoon.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 2/20: We hope everyone enjoyed a restful long weekend and holiday with their friends and families on Presidents Day
TUESDAY 2/21: Miss Neumayr made the following announcements at the Morning Assembly:
- Indoor Soccer practices continue at Stellar Secondary school on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in St. Dominic’s Hall from 4-5 p.m. for conditioning and in the Stellar Secondary School gym from 5-6 p.m. for skills and drills.
- Mary Tappel (12th) has been named a National Merit Scholar Finalist. She is currently ranked within the top 15,000 students in the country. National Merit Scholars are assessed on their 11th grade PSAT scores, transcripts, recommendations, etc.
- We took some time to recognize the students preparing for sacraments of initiation this spring.
- The following students will receive their 1st Confession and 1st Communion this season: Ava Longlet (2nd), Shannon Dixon (2nd), Monica Broek (2nd), Marian Stevens (2nd), Matthias Hart (2nd), and William Jansen (1st).
- The following students will be Confirmed in the Catholic Church this season: Atlin Bell (11th), Drew Benton (11th), and Lael Droege (11th), Alexander O’Neill (10th), Andrew Cookson (10th), and Isabella van Tets (10th).
TUESDAY 2/21: The Asian Fusion Faculty Appreciation Luncheon has been rescheduled to Tuesday, February 28th.
TUESDAY 2/21: Fr. Brosamer said Mass for the Lower School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We also thank the following students for their particular help in the Mass:
Altar Servers: Joshua Fouch (6th) and
WEDNESDAY 2/22: We would like to thank our Pizza Moms for all of their help getting this special monthly lunch treat out to the students in such a timely and efficient manner: Ms. Brookwell, Mrs. Cedillo, Mrs. Fouch, and Mrs. Lopez.
WEDNESDAY 2/22: Kindergarten, 1st Grade, and 2nd Grade had a wonderful time ice fishing at Jewel Lake. We would like to thank the parents who helped drive and chaperone: Mrs. Masloff, Mrs. Lopez, Grandpa Lopez, Mr. Stevens, Mr. Devito, Ms. Butler, Mrs. Lincoln, Brookwell, Mrs. Hughes, Mr. Patton, Mr. & Mrs. Riffer, Mrs. Vreeling, Mr. Dubay, Mr. Betts, Mr. Broek, Mr. Dixon, and
THURSDAY 2/23: The HRA Science Fair was a great success. We commend the 5th-10th grade students for their hard work and perseverance. We would like to thank our volunteer science fair judges comprised of parents and other local professionals who work in medical, science, or engineering fields, including: Mrs. Jacki Rose, Dr. Pete Anderson, and Mr. Dick Armstrong. The science fair awards for each participating grade will be presented at the next Monday Morning Assembly. Parents are welcome to join us at the assembly to learn the results first hand.
THURSDAY 2/23: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. said Mass for the Upper School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank the others who helped with the Mass in a particular way:
Reader: Alexander O’Neill (10th)
Cantor: Dr. Walters
Server: Luke O’Hanley (7th)
FRIDAY 2/24: Upper School Joseph Schedule – After their morning classes, students participated in various Community Service projects around Anchorage for the afternoon. Mr. Welsh took the 11th & 12th Grades to serve lunch at Beans Café and then returned for their Physics class at the end of the afternoon. The 9th & 10th grade boys, organized by Alexander O’Neill (10th), prepared an orienteering activity for Miss Evans’ 4th grade class. Mr. Mason took a bus load of students to FISH Food Pantry. Mrs. Shoop took four students to Serendipity Adult Day Center. Dr. Walters supervised students cleaning and organizing the science cabinets and art closet. We would like to thank Mrs. Vreeling for taking a group of students to read to young residents at Clare House. Thank you to Mrs. Nakada for taking a group of students to help with the ice cream social at the Alaska Pioneer Home. Other students also helped in the lower elementary classes.
FRIDAY 2/24: The 4th Grade tested their orienteering skills by navigating a course around the campus and inside the St. Bosco Bldg. We thank the 9th & 10th grade boys.
FRIDAY 2/24: The 3RD Grade held a math relay in the afternoon, where they had to perform different physical activities on their way to various stations around St. Dominic’s Hall to solve math problems.
FRIDAY 2/24: The 1st Grade enjoyed watching Madeline in the library in the afternoon. Thank you to Peter Anderson (10th) and John Lastimoso (10th) for helping Miss Verreux set up the AV equipment.
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 2/25-26: Miss Neumayr visited the Masses at Holy Family Cathedral. We would like to thank the Jansen family, Hart family, Cedillo family, and Holder family for bringing their children to Mass in uniform to help Miss Neumayr promote Catholic education at Holy Rosary Academy.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 2/27: Morning Assembly at 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
TUESDAY 2/28: The Upper School will have a Spirit Day with “Memes” as the theme.
TUESDAY 2/28: The Lower School will celebrate a Mardi Gras brunch on February 28th. SHARE HOUR OPPORTUNITY – We will need parents to help flip pancakes for the brunch. A potluck list was sent home with your children with assignments for each grade to bring particular items.
TUESDAY 2/28: The 3rd, 5th, & 9th Grades will take the National Mythology Exam with their respective classes.
TUESDAY 2/28: The Asian Fusion faculty appreciation luncheon has been rescheduled for this Tuesday.
WEDNESDAY 3/1: All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall at 9:45 a.m. in observance of Ash Wednesday. Parents are welcome to attend, but space is limited.
WEDNESDAY 3/1: Upper School teachers will provide their annual Ash Wednesday soup lunch for the 7th-12th grade students.
THURSDAY 3/2: Safe Environment talk – (See Announcement above.)
FRIDAY 3/3: Upper School First Friday Schedule with Adoration in the JPII Chapel – Students are to wear their dress uniforms.
FRIDAY 3/3: 11th & 12th Grade students will make meatless soups for their fellow Upper School students. It has been a tradition for the last ten years at HRA that the upper school grades take turns making a soup lunch for each other on the Fridays of Lent.
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 3/4-5: Miss Neumayr will be visiting the Masses at Holy Cross parish.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- HRA will be closed for Spring Vacation March 13th through 17th.
- 3rd Quarter Lower School Report Cards will go home with students on Monday, March 20th.
- There will be a faculty appreciation luncheon on Tuesday, March 21st.