Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- National Catholic Schools Week – Holy Rosary Academy and the other schools in the Archdiocese of Anchorage will attend a Mass with Archbishop Etienne on Monday, January 29th at 10:00 a.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. All students and faculty of HRA will attend the Mass. HRA parents are invited to meet us at Our Lady of Guadalupe for the Mass in celebration of Catholic education in the United States!
- Daily Prayers in the JPII Chapel – All are invited to join the parent prayer group that meets at 3:00 p.m. every school day in the JPII Chapel to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fr. A. J. Fisher is in need of help after his knee replacement surgery. He is currently unable to walk and needs assistance moving about his home. He has requested adults, individuals or pairs, to stay with him for four-hour shifts. Please consider helping in this corporal work of mercy. Call the HRA Front Office for Fr. Fisher’s contact information and learn more about how you can help this retired priest.
- There is a Meal Train for the family of former HRA teacher Matthew (Kreppel) Krallek while they have a new baby. Please follow the link if you would like to participate: https://www.mealtrain.com/trains/98kdk5.
- AMERICAN LEGION OPPORTUNITIES:
- American Legion Auxiliary State Leadership Camp for Girls – American Legion Auxiliary Girls State celebrates 50 years in Alaska! This one week camp is open to Alaskan high school girls who complete 11th Grade in the spring of 2018. Each American Legion Post sponsors one girl to participate in this citizenship & government leadership camp held June 2-8, 2018 at St. Therese’s Camp in Wasilla. To apply, go to ALA Alaska Girls State Application & Forms. Applications must be submitted by May 22, 2018.
- American Legion Alaska Boys State – American Legion Posts in Alaska are sponsoring the 52nd Annual Boys State citizen leadership camp June 10-16, 2018 at St. Therese’s Camp in Wasilla. All Alaskan boys, age 16-18 who will be high school seniors during the 2018-19 school year are eligible to apply with their local American Legion Post. Applications and more information are available at THE AMERICAN LEGION ALASKA BOYS STATE.
- Participants in both Girls and Boys State are eligible to win a trip to the National leadership camps in Washington D.C. later this summer.
- AMERICAN LEGION HIGH SCHOOL ORATORICAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM – The American Legion awards scholarships between $14,000-$18,000 to the top three high school students who exhibit excellent public speaking skills and knowledge on the topic of the Constitution of the United States. Students will deliver one 8-10 minute prepared speech on the topic of the U.S. Constitution with an emphasis on the duties and obligations of a citizen to our government as well as a 3-5 minute speech on a section of the Constitution to be announced at the competition. Competitors are appointed by each American Legion department (state) in a local competition and then move on to three successive rounds at the National competition. Participants are awarded scholarships of $1500 for each of the first two rounds completed. For more information, go to Contact American Legion Oratorical Scholarships
- Belmont Abbey College is offering a summer schola opportunity for current high school sophomores, juniors, & seniors:
- Session 1: July 9-14, 2018
- Session 1: July 15-21, 2018
- Session 1: July 22-28, 2018
- Use this link for more information: Summer Schola
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Congratulations to Mezzetti, Mr. El Khoury, and the cast of A Midsummer Night’s Dream on an excellent show last weekend. The students gave an outstanding performance for an overflowing crowd of 175 people! Thank you to everyone for their hard work and unending contributions.
- Thank you to Andrews for subbing in After School Care on Friday afternoon!
5th-8th Grade Volleyball games will be on Friday evenings when all members of the team are able to make it.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 1/22: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 12th Grade Apologetics class to discuss Christology and heresy.
TUESDAY 1/23: The Dominican chaplains visited to hear Elementary Confessions in the afternoon before Mass. Thank you to Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P., Fr. Stephen Maekawa O.P., and Fr. Christopher Brannon O.P. for sharing so much of your afternoon.
TUESDAY 1/23: Fr. Patrick Brosamer presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in the following ways:
- Altar Servers: Stephen Hart (6th) and Earthen Le (6th)
- Reader: Isaac Grandel (6th)
- Psalm: Amarisa Manuel (6th)
- Petitions: Andy Duryea (6th)
THURSDAY 1/25: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. visited Kindergarten and told them stories about St. Paul for the Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul.
THURSDAY 1/25: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. heard Jr. High Confessions and presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in the following ways:
- Altar Server: John Lastimoso (11th)
- Reader: Ionut Bratulescu (7th)
- Cantor: Jon Syren (12th)
- Petitions: Michael Krol (7th)
FRIDAY 1/26: The top two spellers from Grades 1-8 met in St. Dominic’s Hall for the annual HRA Spelling Bee. Congratulations to everyone who competed:
1st Grade: Elizabeth Lincoln; Yrvin DeLaCruz
2nd Grade: Olive Brookwell; William Jansen
3rd Grade: Stana Auton; Maya Stevens
4th Grade: Julia Reiman; Anthony Murray
5th Grade: Helen Pendergast; Cameron Dixon
6th Grade: Jadyn Hill; Arabella Allen
7th Grade: Miguel Reyes; Maria Koop
8th Grade: Grace Ward; Angela Patton
Cameron Dixon (5th) won the HRA Spelling Bee in the 13th Round with the word vicissitudes. This will be Cameron’s second time representing Holy Rosary Academy at the Alaska State Spelling Bee. Grace Ward (8th) will be his alternate in at State. Many of our younger students continued into the 5th round of the Bee, including Elizabeth Lincoln (1st). Go, Knights!
FRIDAY 1/26: The Upper School followed a Joseph Schedule in the morning and went about town for Community Service in the afternoon. Thank you to the parents and teachers who supervised the different groups: Mrs. Bohne, Mrs. Bolin, Mrs. Bratulescu, Mr. Fouch, Mr. Kelly, Miss Morris, and Mr. Hodgson. They took groups of students to FISH Food Pantry, AK Food Bank, Serendipity Adult Day Care Center, the Pioneer Home, BEANS Café, and Fr. Fisher’s home.
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 1/27-28: Miss Neumayr visited the Masses at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral to promote enrollment at Holy Rosary Academy next year.
THE WEEK AHEAD
NATIONAL CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK
MONDAY 1/29: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 1/29: Catholic Schools Week Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral, 9:30-noon
MONDAY 1/29: HS Drama Club in St. Dominic’s Hall after school
TUESDAY 1/30: Elementary Mass, 2:15 w/Fr. Brosamer
WEDNESDAY 1/31: Raffle Drawing, noon in St. Dominic’s Hall
WEDNESDAY 1/31: HS Drama Club in St. Dominic’s Hall after school.
THURSDAY 2/1: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. will be visiting 1st Grade.
THURSDAY 2/1: 7th, 8th & 12th Grade Confession opportunity, 9-9:30 a.m.
THURSDAY 2/1: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel, 9:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 2/2: Upper School First Friday Schedule
FRIDAY 2/2: Upper School Dance – Outer Space theme
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 1/27-28: Miss Neumayr will be visiting the Masses at St. Andrew parish to promote enrollment at Holy Rosary Academy next year. Families are welcome to join her after the Masses to speak to people about HRA.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- The HRA Latin Declamation for the Upper School, Friday, February 9th
- Career Day at HRA – Friday, February 9th
- Elementary Mardi Gras Brunch – Tuesday, February 13th
- Ash Wednesday, February 14th
- NO SCHOOL MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19TH in observance of Presidents Day
- K-12 Spirit Day – Prehistoric theme
- Recruiting OPEN HOUSE – Wednesday, February 28th
- We are very excited to welcome two speakers from NASA, who are coming to speak to grades 3-12 on March 7th. Thank you to Mr. Dick Armstrong for arranging this event.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: Religious Minorities in Asia
That Christians and other religious minorities in Asian countries may be able to practice their faith in full freedom.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee) having surgery
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent)
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)