Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- FLU CONCERNS REGARDING MASS – The Archdiocese is instructing people not to hold or shake hands at Mass during flu season. It is normal HRA practice for everyone to keep their hands to themselves during the Our Father and only nod to each other during the Sign of Peace. This habit goes a long way in preventing the spread of germs throughout the school year.
- Daily Prayer in the JPII Chapel – All are invited to join the parent prayer group that meets at 3:00 p.m. every school day in the JPII Chapel to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
- Girl Scout Cookies for the Troops – You can donate Girl Scout cookies to the troops of the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan. One of our 4th Graders, Anya, is a Girl Scout and her family will ship cookies to Afghanistan (c/o Fr. Ken Bolin) on behalf of everyone that wants to donate cookies to the troops. Contact Gabrielle Bryant at email@example.com to make a donation purchase.
- CENTURION REMINDER – Now that the HRA Raffle winners have been announced (see entry below) the HRA Administrative Staff is gearing up for the annual Centurion pledge drive! We ask all Holy Rosary Academy families to contribute names and addresses for our spring mailing fundraiser campaign. The first $250 of pledges donated by people from the contact list you provide the school count toward your family Tuition Expectation. Please make sure that all of your names and addresses are submitted to the Front Office by February 15th, 2018.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fr. A. J. Fisher is in need of help after his knee replacement surgery. He is currently unable to walk and needs assistance moving about his home. He has requested adults, individuals or pairs, to stay with him for four-hour shifts. Please consider helping in this corporal work of mercy. Call the HRA Front Office for Fr. Fisher’s contact information and learn more about how you can help this retired priest.
- There is a Meal Train for the family of former HRA teacher Matthew (Kreppel) Krallek while they have a new baby. Please follow the link if you would like to participate: https://www.mealtrain.com/trains/98kdk5.
- CAREER DAY THIS FRIDAY – Several parents and members of the Anchorage community will be on campus to give presentations about their career fields. Every student in the school will have an opportunity to attend three presentations over the course of the afternoon. We are very grateful to all of our parent volunteers for making the time to share their experience with the students as they begin to contemplate their own professional vocations. Our great thanks to Holder for facilitating this wonderful opportunity for our children and organizing the first HRA Career Day.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Christian Bolin (7th), Ionut Bratulescu (7th) Michael Krol (7th), and Miguel Reyes (7th) for helping clear snow from the back steps at After School Care this week.
5th-8th Grade Volleyball played in a multi-team rally at Lumen Christi on Friday, February 2nd. The results of the games will be announced at the Morning Assembly on Monday. Go, Knights!
Friday, February 9th – The volleyball team will be excused at 2:00 p.m. for a Rally at Wasilla Lake Christian School. Go, Knights!
Thank you to our volunteer parent and student coaches: Mrs. Reiman, Anndawnika Neavill (9th), and Gary Holder (9th). Congratulations and thanks to Team Captain, Gwendolyn Holder (7th), and Assistant Captain, Bernadette Hart (8th).
WEEK IN REVIEW
NATIONAL CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK
MONDAY 1/29: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Congratulations to Hanna Massell (12th), accepted into her first-choice school, Wyoming Catholic College. She has been invited to fly to WCC at no cost in order to compete for a full-ride scholarship.
- Thank you to everyone for your show of support for National School Choice Week! HRA received a certificate of participation in the national campaign to support school choice throughout the country.
- Thank you to Jaxon Justiniano (K) and Gaius Carlson (4th) for helping Miss Neumayr represent HRA at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral after the Masses last weekend. She will be visiting St. Andrew parish this weekend.
- Thursday, January 25th was the third anniversary of the death of former teacher, Mr. Andy Coldiron. Please continue to pray for the repose of his soul and the welfare of his family, who are doing well now. His widow, Erica, has remarried and his daughter, Caroline, just celebrated her third birthday. The family is expecting another little girl this May.
- Students will have the opportunity to sign up for Career Day presentations in descending grade order. Please be gracious and open-minded if you are not able to attend a presentation about your intended career field that day.
- Drama participants were directed to a bundle of items that were left at Wildberry Theater after the play and encouraged to make sure everything went home or to the drama storage closet by the end of the day.
- Thank you to the Upper School for a great Community Service afternoon last week.
MONDAY 1/29: Catholic Schools Week Mass – Grades K-12 did a magnificent job filing into chartered buses for the Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral in the morning. We have never enjoyed such a smooth trek off-campus with the whole school as we did for the Catholic Schools Week Mass this week with Archbishop Emeritus Roger Schwietz. Thank you to all of the students who helped with particular tasks during the Mass:
- Hospitality – Juliana Biegel (12th)
- Readers – Elizabeth Lincoln (1st) and Amarisa Manuel (6th)
- Gifts – Yedidia Diboue (3rd) and Cameron Kelly (8th)
- Choir – Jacinta Grandel (11th), Felicity Hart (11th), John Lastimoso (11th), Gabrielle Holder (12th), and Jon Syren (12th)
MONDAY 1/29: HS Drama Club in St. Dominic’s Hall after school
TUESDAY 1/30: Elementary Geography Bee – Grades 4-6 convened Holy Rosary Academy’s first Upper Elementary Geography Bee in the St. Cecilia Music Room. Thank you, Mrs. Williams, for facilitating this new program for HRA! Before the school Geo Bee, each of the three classes took a geography test to determine the qualifying students. Congratulations to all of the competitors:
- Sarah Denzer (4th)
- Noah Jansen (4th)
- William Cagle (5th)
- Cameron Dixon (5th)
- Luke Syren (5th)
- Arabella Allen (6th)
- Isaac Grandel (6th)
- Stephen Hart (6th)
Our winner this year, Cameron Dixon (6th), has already taken the Geo Bee test that allows him to represent HRA at the regional level and we will know the results of this next round in early March.
WEDNESDAY 1/31: Everyone gathered in St. Dominic’s Hall for the annual Raffle Drawing. Congratulations to all the winners! Thank you to the students who drew the winning tickets for the Raffle: Isaac Grandel (6th), Angela Patton (8th), and Hanna Massell (12th).
- 3rd Prize, $500 – Kaden Galvez (sold by the Bell family & Big Bob’s Flooring)
- 2nd Prize, free tuition for one student – Cyndi Gagnon (sold by the Koop family)
- 1st Prize, $10,000 – Amanda Dunbar (sold by the Jansen family)
THURSDAY 2/1: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. visited 1st Grade and talked about the Rosary and about St. Francis of Assisi.
FRIDAY 2/2: The Upper School followed the First Friday Schedule and attended Adoration in the JPII Chapel at the end of the day.
FRIDAY 2/2: The Senior class hosted an Upper School Dance with an Outer Space theme in the St. Cecilia Music Room. Thank you to Juliana Biegel and Forrest Rose for taking extra time to decorate St. Cecilia’s. Thank you to our chaperones: Mrs. Cookson, Miss Morris, Miss Neumayr, Mr. Hodgson, and Miss Forbes (former teacher).
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 1/27-28: Miss Neumayr will be visiting the Masses at St. Andrew parish to promote enrollment at Holy Rosary Academy next year. Families are welcome to join her after the Masses to speak to people about HRA.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 2/5: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 2/5: Mid-Quarter – Login to the HRA Sycamore page to check your child’s academic progress for the 3rd Quarter.
MONDAY 2/5: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will visit the 11th Grade Catholic Morality class.
MONDAY 2/5: HS Drama Club in St. Dominic’s Hall after school – The HS Drama club is producing a spring show, Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None!
TUESDAY 2/6: Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel w/Fr. Tom Lilly, 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 2/7: Pizza Day
WEDNESDAY 2/7: Faculty Meeting
WEDNESDAY 2/7: HS Drama Club in St. Dominic’s Hall after school.
THURSDAY 2/8: Board of Trustees Meeting in the library, 7-9 a.m.
THURSDAY 2/8: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. will be visiting 2nd Grade.
THURSDAY 2/8: 7th, 8th & 12th Grade Confession opportunity, 9-9:30 a.m.
THURSDAY 2/8: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel, 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY 2/8: 3rd Quarter Parent Association Meeting, Kolbe Lobby 6:30-7:30 p.m. Babysitting provided in the After School Care room.
THURSDAY 2/8: Dominican Forum at Holy Family Cathedral, 7 p.m. – The topic is Papal Infallibility.
FRIDAY 2/9: Upper School Mary Schedule
FRIDAY 2/9: Upper School Latin Declamation – St. Dominic’s Hall, 8:15 a.m.
FRIDAY 2/9: The 1st Grade will go see Anatomy of the Piano at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
FRIDAY 2/9: Career Day, 1-3 p.m.
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 2/10-11: Miss Neumayr will be visiting the Masses at Holy Family Cathedral to promote enrollment at Holy Rosary Academy next year. Families are welcome to join her after the Masses to speak to people about HRA.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Elementary Mardi Gras Brunch – Tuesday, February 13th
- Ash Wednesday, February 14th
- NO SCHOOL MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19TH in observance of Presidents Day
- K-12 Spirit Day – Prehistoric theme
- Recruiting OPEN HOUSE – Wednesday, February 28th
- We are very excited to welcome two speakers from NASA, who are coming to speak to grades 3-12 on March 7th. Thank you to Mr. Dick Armstrong for arranging this event.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Universal: Say “No” to Corruption – That those who have material, political or spiritual power may resist any lure of corruption.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee) having surgery
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent)
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of former teacher, Stan Grove)