Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Holy Rosary Academy proudly presents William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream performed by the High School Drama class tonight, January 20th at 7:00 p.m. at the Awaken Church (formerly the Alaska Wildberry Theater), 5225 Juneau Street, Anchorage. Reserve seats with the HRA Front Office, $5 per person for all ages.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fr. A. J. Fisher is in need of help after his knee replacement surgery. He is currently unable to walk and needs assistance moving about his home. He has requested adults, individuals or pairs, to stay with him for four hour shifts. Please consider helping in this corporal work of mercy. Call the HRA Front Office for Fr. Fisher’s contact information and learn more about how you can help this retired priest.
- All HRA families are invited to come to Burns Night in St. Dominic’s Hall for an evening celebrating Scottish heritage and culture. The evening will include a potluck dinner of traditional Scottish dishes, toasts, poetry, music & dancing, and haggis. The doors will open at 6:00 p.m. and dinner will begin at 6:30 p.m. Contact Mrs. Furby: email@example.com to learn what dishes are still needed for the potluck. Donations will be collected to raise money for the Upper School prom and help cover the cost of importing the haggis.
- Daily Prayers in the JPII Chapel – All are invited to join the parent prayer group that meets at 3:00 p.m. every school day in the JPII Chapel to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
- AMERICAN LEGION OPPORTUNITIES:
- American Legion Auxiliary State Leadership Camp for Girls – American Legion Auxiliary Girls State celebrates 50 years in Alaska! This one week camp is open to Alaskan high school girls who complete 11th Grade in the spring of 2018. Each American Legion Post sponsors one girl to participate in this citizenship & government leadership camp held June 2-8, 2018 at St. Therese’s Camp in Wasilla. To apply, go to ALA Alaska Girls State Application & Forms. Applications must be submitted by May 22, 2018.
- American Legion Alaska Boys State – American Legion Posts in Alaska are sponsoring the 52nd Annual Boys State citizen leadership camp June 10-16, 2018 at St. Therese’s Camp in Wasilla. All Alaskan boys, age 16-18 who will be high school seniors during the 2018-19 school year are eligible to apply with their local American Legion Post. Applications and more information is available at THE AMERICAN LEGION ALASKA BOYS STATE.
- Participants in both Girls and Boys State are eligible to win a trip to the National leadership camps in Washington D.C. later this summer.
- AMERICAN LEGION HIGH SCHOOL ORATORICAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM – The American Legion awards scholarships between $14,000-$18,000 to the top three high school students who exhibit excellent public speaking skills and knowledge on the topic of the Constitution of the United States. Students will deliver one 8-10 minute prepared speech on the topic of the U.S. Constitution with an emphasis on the duties and obligations of a citizen to our government as well as a 3-5 minute speech on a section of the Constitution to be announced at the competition. Competitors are appointed by each American Legion department (state) in a local competition and then move on to three successive rounds at the National competition. Participants are awarded scholarships of $1500 for each of the first two rounds completed. For more information, go to Contact American Legion Oratorical Scholarships
- Belmont Abbey College is offering a summer schola opportunity for current high school sophomores, juniors, & seniors:
- Session 1: July 9-14, 2018
- Session 1: July 15-21, 2018
- Session 1: July 22-28, 2018
- Use this link for more information: Summer Schola
- The 2018-19 Calendar is now available! Paper copies of the calendar are available in the HRA Front Office upon request (the pdf. is attached to this email).
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to all of the families and teachers who came to Mrs. Fleming’s funeral on Monday, January 15th. It meant a great deal to the Fleming family.
- Thank you to HRA parent volunteer, Mr. Betts, who continues his work on St. Dominic’s Hall.
- Thank you to Mrs. Broek for taking over the Share Hour Coordinator position on the HRA Parent Association Board.
5th-8th Grade Volleyball practices have begun. Go, Knights!
WEEK IN REVIEW
TUESDAY 1/16: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- The Hurricane Harvey collection raised $907.77 for the Catholic schools of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houseton. Recognition goes to the following classes:
- Winner (most points earned): 7th/8th Grade Homeroom – 5951 points
- Most Money Earned: 4th Grade – $238.60
- Biggest Threat (most bills collected): 4th Grade – $148.00
- Thank you to the Upper School for cleaning and packing the Christmas decorations all over campus.
- Congratulations to Lael Droege (12th) on her acceptance to Benedictine College and to Carroll College which has offered her a $12,000 scholarship.
- Congratulations to Gabi Holder (12th) on her acceptance to University of Dallas with a $80,000 scholarship over four years, and an additional $15,000 scholarship from Benedictine.
- Congratulations to Stephen Woyte (12th) on his acceptance to Marquette University with a $60,000 scholarship over four years.
- Miss Neumayr thanked all the elementary teachers for their many wonderful field trips throughout the year each year. She encouraged all the students to thank their teachers as well.
- At the end of the assembly, Miss Neumayr told the students about her upcoming plan to move back to California this summer in order to care for her aging parents. (This announcement was sent directly to parents last week.)
TUESDAY 1/9: Fr. Whitney presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Whitney. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Isaac Grandel (6th) and Earthen Le (6th)
- Prayer Leader: Mason Nguyen (6th)
- First Reading: Jadyn Hill (6th)
- Responsorial Psalm: Stephen Hart (6th)
- Petitions: Verity Pendergast (6th)
WEDNESDAY 1/17: The students enjoyed a Pizza Day lunch. Thank you to our Pizza Moms: Ms. Brookwell, Mrs. Cedillo, and Mrs. Fouch.
WEDNESDAY 1/17: The Upper School Spirit Day revealed how enthusiastic and creative our students are. They came in a surprising variety of detailed Disney-themed costumes. Go, Knights!
THURSDAY 1/18: Fr. Christopher Brannon, OP presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Christopher. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: Mitchell Marquez (9th)
- First Reading: Angel Beaty (9th)
- Responsorial Psalm: Ashley Stephens (10th)
- Petitions: Macklen Bell (10th)
THURSDAY 1/18: 11th/12th Grade students went to a motivational talk at Lumen Christi about the importance of self-care for our mental and emotional health. Thank you to Miss Neumayr and Mr. Murray for chaperoning this activity.
FRIDAY 1/19: The students worked at home while teachers pursued their own professional development, observing other Anchorage schools.
SATURDAY 1/20: The High School production of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream, 7:00 p.m. at the Awaken Church (formerly the Alaska Wildberry Theater). Seats are $5.00 for all ages. Thank you to our directors, Mrs. Mezzetti and Mr. El Khoury (’11)
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 1/20-21: Miss Neumayr is visiting St. Anthony parish this weekend to promote Holy Rosary Academy and encourage enrollment for next year.
THE WEEK AHEAD
NATIONAL SCHOOL CHOICE WEEK
MONDAY 1/22: Fr. Dom David visiting the 12th Grade Apologetics class.
MONDAY 1/22: The new HS Drama Club is meeting in St. Dominic’s Hall after school.
TUESDAY 1/23: Elementary Confession, 1-2 p.m. with the Dominican Chaplains
TUESDAY 1/23: Elementary Mass, 2:15 w/Fr. Brosamer
WEDNESDAY 1/24: The new HS Drama Club is meeting in St. Dominic’s Hall after school.
WEDNESDAY 1/24: Faculty meeting, 3:30 p.m. in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library
THURSDAY 1/23: Br. Joshua will be visiting Kindergarten.
THURSDAY 1/25: 7th & 8th Grade Confession opportunity, 9-9:30 a.m.
THURSDAY 1/25: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel, 9:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 1/26: Upper School Joseph Schedule – Community Service
FRIDAY 1/26: Raffle tickets due
FRIDAY 1/26: HRA Spelling Bee, 8:00 a.m. St. Dom’s
SATURDAY-SUNDAY 1/27-28: Miss Neumayr will be visiting the Masses at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral to promote enrollment at Holy Rosary Academy next year. Families are welcome to join her after the Masses to speak to people about HRA.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- The Catholic Schools Day Mass is Monday, January 29th. All Grades will go to Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral for the Mass with Archbishop Etienne.
- Raffle Ticket Drawing, Wednesday, January 31st at noon in St. Dominic’s Hall
- We are very excited to welcome two speakers from NASA, who are coming to speak to grades 3-12 on March 7th. Thank you to Mr. Dick Armstrong for arranging this event.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: Religious Minorities in Asia
That Christians, and other religious minorities in Asian countries, may be able to practice their faith in full freedom.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- Fr. A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Dr. Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Mrs. Denzer (HRA parent)
- Mrs. Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Mrs. Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Fr. Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)