Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Student Report Cards will be mailed home during the Christmas vacation.
- CALENDAR REMINDER: The Christmas vacation is Thursday, Dec. 21 – Wednesday, Jan. 3. School resumes for HRA on Thursday, January 4th. Please alert the Front Office if your child will be missing school due to this error so they can be excused.
- Epiphany Concert – Monday, January 8th at 1:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Congratulations to Gabrielle Holder (12th), she was accepted to her top choice college, Ave Maria University.
- Thank you to Miss Natalie Mezzetti for subbing in 6th Grade from December 13th to January 11th.
- Thank you to Mrs. Shaut for subbing in 1st Grade on Friday, December 20th.
- Thank you to HRA grandparent, Mrs. Bohne, for helping with 2nd Grade on Friday, December 20th.
- Thank you to Mrs. Bolin for her assistance in planning the Faculty Christmas Tea with Miss Neumayr. The faculty and Board of Trustees had a wonderful time.
- CONGRATULATIONS! – Michael Lucas (12th) took his 3rd State Champion title for the HRA High School Boys’ Wrestling Team, completing an undefeated season and a 161-10 record for his high school wrestling career. Go Knights!
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 12/18: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Michael Lucas (12th) led the Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of the Morning Assembly in recognition of his accomplishments in winning the State Championship Wrestling Tournament for the third time in his high school career. Congratulations Michael!
- This is the 3rd week of Advent, Gaudete week! The 4th week of Advent will last only Sunday, and then it will be Christmas.
- The assembly was short to make sure that Upper School students could get to their first exams in a timely fashion.
MONDAY 12/18: Upper School exams – Grades 7-12 took the exams for their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd period classes throughout the day and then met with Mrs. Kinder for an extra choir rehearsal at the end of the day.
MONDAY 12/18: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 5th Grade.
TUESDAY 12/19: Upper School exams – Grades 7-12 took the exams for their 4th, 5th, and 6th period classes throughout the day. The seniors, who had completed their American Seminar exams the previous week, helped Miss Neumayr prepare St. Dominic’s Hall for the Advent Brunch the following morning. Thank you seniors for your extra help.
TUESDAY 12/19: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P presided over the All-School Mass in St Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Gary Holder (9th) and Mitchell Marquez (9th)
- Reader: Savio Le (11th)
- Cantor: Jacinta Grandel (11th)
- Petitions: Alexander O’Neill (11th)
WEDNESDAY 12/20: K-12 students enjoyed the annual Advent Brunch in the morning. The oldest students in the school collected their Campus Friends and escorted them to St. Dominic’s Hall for the festivities and helped their youngest biddies through the buffet line. Grades K-6 received small gifts from Santa and his 12th Grade elves. After the Elementary students returned to their classes, the Upper School students feasted and sang together in preparation for their annual caroling trip after the brunch. Thank you to all the parents who brought delicious dishes and helped with set-up, serving, and cleaning after the brunch: the Fouch family, the Nakada family, Mrs. Dixon, Mrs. Bratulescu, Mrs. Reyes, Mrs. Mairura, Dr. van Tets, Mrs. Krol, Mrs. Denzer, and Mrs. Benton
WEDNESDAY 12/20: The Upper School visited Mr. Fleming at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral and our former chaplain, Fr. Fisher, at his home for their annual caroling trip this year. Both gentlemen were very touched by the visit and the music. Thank you to HRA alumni, Arianna Fouch (’15) and Monica Klump (’15) for helping drive students on the trip.
THURSDAY 12/21-1/3: CHRISTMAS VACATION
THE WEEK WE RETURN:
THURSDAY 1/4: CLASSES RESUME
THURSDAY 1/4: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 1/4-5: Br. Joshua Gatus, O.P. will sub in 3rd Grade and Mrs. Lauren Rannals will sub in 2nd Grade
THURSDAY 1/4: K-12 Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall, 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY 1/4: Jr. High Art will be replaced with a study hall.
FRIDAY 1/5: Upper School Mary Schedule – Rehearsal & Adoration in the afternoon
FRIDAY 1/5: K-12 Rehearsal for the Epiphany Concert, 1:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- 3RD QUARTER BEGINS THURSDAY, JANUARY 4TH.
- Epiphany Concert – Monday, January 8th in St. Dominic’s Hall, 1-3 p.m.
- No school for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, January 15th.
- Funeral for Mrs. Diane Fleming at noon on Monday, January 15th at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral, Archbishop Emeritus Roger Schwietz, OMI presiding
- There will be an additional performance of the High School production of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream on Saturday, January 20th at the Awaken Church. (More details to come.)
Holy Father’s Intentions: December
That the elderly, sustained by families and Christian communities, may apply their wisdom and experience to spreading the faith and forming the new generations.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goal keeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- The Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- Fr. A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery.
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Dr. Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Mrs. Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Mrs. Denzer (HRA parent)
- Mrs. Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Mrs. Shoop & Josiah
- Mrs. Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Mrs. Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle