Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Be sure to re-enroll your child for the 2018-19 school year, if you have not already done so. – ENROLLMENT DEADLINES:
- The deadline for Financial Assistance Applications is Tuesday, May 15th.
- Preference for returning students will also end on Tuesday, May 15th. After this date, we cannot give priority to returning students over new students who apply.
- Part-Time Night Care for Fr. Fisher, retired Catholic Priest. No heavy work involved. Compensation & hours – NEGOTIABLE. Call Fr. Fisher at 522-3725
- UPDATE SHARE HOUR ENTRIES – As we come to the end of the school year, we want to make sure that everyone meets their Share Hour Expectation. Login to Sycamore and make sure that all of your Share Hours have been entered. Please call the Front Office if your approved Share Hours do not match your personal records. All Share Hours must be completed by June 30th, 2018 or you will be billed for uncompleted hours.
- Campus Allergies – The school has been deeply affected by allergens this semester. We have been trying to make the campus a safe and comfortable place for all members of the student body and staff.
- We ask that people do not bring the following items on campus at all for the rest of the year: Latex; lilies; and paint of any kind.
- We also need to be sure to keep peanuts away from the 2nd Grade class.
- We have also had students discover previously unknown allergies this year. Please log into Sycamore and make sure your child’s medical information is up to date.
- Benedict parish will host a showing of the film, Paul, Apostle of Christ on May 15th at 6:30 p.m. in the Lumen Christi gym. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. and there will be a Q&A session with Executive Producer, Eric Groth following the film at 8:15 p.m.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Congratulations to Gregory Biegel (5th) for winning the Catholic Daughters of the America’s Campership essay contest for a full week at St. Theresa’s Camp this summer.
- Thank you to Taylor for subbing K-2 Music on Tuesday.
- Thank you to the High School Drama Club for setting-up St. Dominic’s Hall for Mass after their rehearsal on Wednesday.
- Track: The 5th-8th Grade Track competes in their regular season meet, the Faith Lutheran Invitational, this weekend. Results will be announced at the next Assembly. Their State Track Meet will be Saturday, May 12th.
- Thank you to HRA parent, Smith for substitute-coaching the track team on Tuesday.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 4/30: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Congratulations to Eidem, one of our P.E. and Art teachers! He was Confirmed into the Catholic Church and received his First Holy Communion last Saturday, April 28th at Holy Family Cathedral.
- Congratulations to the High School Juniors & Seniors for completing their Thesis Defenses last week!
- 4th Grade enjoyed a field trip to the weather center on the UAA campus last week that included watching the launch of a weather balloon.
MONDAY 4/30: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P visited the 7th Grade Theology class and offered a quodlibet, an open question & answer session.
TUESDAY 5/1: The April showers continued into the morning of May 1st, but the sunshine broke soon enough for the May Crowning to take place outside in the St. Sebastian Play Yard. The ceremony was lovely, even if the wind was a bit chilly at times. Thank you to Mrs. Williams and Mrs. O’Neill for organizing the event. Thank you to Miss Verreux and Mrs. Schirda for the procurement of the flowers. Thank you to Miss Logsdail for making the floral crowns for the three statues of Our Lady on campus. Thank you to Mr. Taylor for his help with the programs. Thank you to Fr. Dominic David and Br. Joshua for joining us and presiding over the ceremony.
WEDNESDAY 5/2: The Upper School followed Special Schedule A in order to spend the afternoon in a K-12 rehearsal for the Festival of Poetry & Song.
THURSDAY 5/3: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. heard Confessions for 12th Grade before Mass.
THURSDAY 5/3: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. presided over the All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
Altar Servers: Christian Bolin (7th) and Joshua Fouch (7th)
Cantor: Jacinta Grandel (11th)
Reader: Jon Syren (12th)
Petitions: Stephen Woyte (12th)
At the end of Mass, everyone processed to the JPII Chapel where Fr. Dominic David installed a relic in the corner next to the relic of St. Pope Pius X that we have on loan from the Catholic Daughters of the Americas. Our new relic from the house of Our Lady of Laredo is an anonymous gift to the school in honor of Miss Neumayr.
FRIDAY 5/4: The Upper School followed the First Friday Schedule with an hour of Adoration in the JPII Chapel.
FRIDAY 5/4: The Festival of Poetry & Song was a delight. The children played, sang, and recited beautifully. Thank you to everyone who made the evening possible. Mrs. Klump was the MC and directed the K-6 choirs. Mrs. Welsh directed the Elementary Band and guided her 4th Grade class through a dramatic rendition of the poem, “Winkin, Blinkin, and Nod.” The band also featured a violin duet featuring Sarah Denzer (4th) & Noah Jansen (4th). Mrs. Kinder directed the Upper School Choir with several small group performances and soloists including: Lael Droege (12th), Jon Syren (12th), Jacinta Grandel (11th), Felicity Hart (11th), John Lastimoso (11th), Ashley Stephens (10th), Paige Bolin (9th), Mitchell Marquez (9th), and Max Rawalt (9th). Mrs. Stramilov led the Kindergarten in the poem, “Eastertide.” Mrs. Williams’ 5th Grade class recited the “Gettysburg Address.” At the end, Miss Verreux’s 1st Grade class presented a poem and a rose to their mothers. During the closing remarks, Mrs. O’Neill captured the microphone and presented Miss Neumayr with the surprise gift that everyone has been helping with this semester: an African safari with airfare. After several moments, Miss Neumayr was able to recognize and thank everyone for not only the gift but also their concert efforts. Thank you to Mr. Welsh for taking pictures and to Mrs. Furby & Mr. Taylor for helping with lights and sound as well as all their preparation work. Miss Morris helped our volunteers return the risers and chairs to campus after the concert. Thank you also to all of our parent and family volunteers: the Petrash family, Ms. Butler, The Denzer family, the Beaty family, the Grandel family, Mr. Ward & Henry Ward, the Nakada family, the Reyes family, Mrs. Fouch, and the Lucas family
SATURDAY 5/5: Credits and recognition for the Upper School Prom will be announced at the next Assembly.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 5/7: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 5/7: HS Drama Club rehearsing in St. Dominic’s Hall after school
TUESDAY 5/8: The Dominican chaplains will hear Elementary Confessions in the afternoon.
WEDNESDAY 5/9: HS Drama Club rehearsing in St. Dominic’s Hall after school
WEDNESDAY 5/9: Enrollment Recruiting Open House – 6:00-8:30 p.m. Students and parents are needed to greet prospective families and give campus tours. Earn Share Hours for everyone in your family who attends. Students who help at the Open House will earn a homework pass for the evening.
THURSDAY 5/10: Ascension Thursday
THURSDAY 5/10: 5th/6th Grade spring retreat at the Eagle River Nature Center
THURSDAY 5/10: Upper School Confession for 11th Grade
THURSDAY 5/10: K-12 Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall, 9:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 5/11: The Upper School will follow a Mary Schedule with an Art History lesson in the afternoon with Dr. Walters.
FRIDAY 5/11: The High School Drama Club performance of Agatha Christi’s And Then There Were None! The venue is still to be confirmed. A special announcement will be sent during the week.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- HRA Art Show – St. Dominic’s Hall will be open from 3-4:30 p.m. on Friday, May 18th to display K-12 student art projects. The art will remain on display the following week during normal school hours.
- Senior Baccalaureate Mass on Tuesday, May 22nd at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church.
- High School Graduation – All Grades will attend the High School Graduation on Wednesday, May 23rd at 9:00 a.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. Students will be dropped off at OLG rather than HRA in the morning in preparation for the Mass and graduation ceremony. Students will be picked up from OLG at 1:00 p.m. after the graduation. THERE WILL BE NO AFTER SCHOOL CARE on graduation day.
- 6th & 8th Grade Graduation on Thursday, May 24th at 7:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
- HRA Academic Awards Assembly & End of Year BBQ begins 9:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. THERE WILL BE NO AFTER SCHOOL CARE.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: The Mission of the Laity – That the lay faithful may fulfill their specific mission, by responding with creativity to the challenges that face the world today.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- The Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- The Taylor family
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Mara El-Khoury
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
- Curran (HRA Athletic Director) in the hospital over Easter
- Geiermann, Sr. (father of a school Trustee) recovering from a serious surgical procedure
- Cookson, speedy recovery
- Drew Koop (Upper School parent) this week as he faced more treatment for the cancer that has aggressively returned after his last round of therapy.
Expectant Mothers :
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
- Katy Morrison
- Mara El-Khoury (alumna)
- Tyler (Geiermann) Janowski (alumna)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda) & baby Agnes Margaret (born 3/24/18)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) & baby Milo (born 3/26/18)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader) & baby Nashala
- Fleming’s son, daughter-in-law, and new granddaughter: Kylee Fleming
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather), for peace living with advancing dementia, relief from symptoms of his heart condition, and continue to bless and guide his caregivers.
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Evangeline Julia (Mrs. Stromilov’s godmother’s mom)
- Rita Droege (grandmother of Droege students), died March 25th.
- Mary Digney (former owner of the McMac Shoppe, long-time school neighbor & benefactor, and friend to Miss Therese Syren)
- Carlos (friend of the Currans)