Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Congratulations to Forrest Rose (12th) on his acceptance to Missouri University of Science & Technology with a scholarship offer of $11,000 for each of his four years of undergraduate study.
- CALENDAR REMINDER: The Christmas vacation is Thursday, Dec. 21 – Wednesday, Jan. 3. School resumes for HRA on Thursday, January 4th. We recently discovered an error on the HRA Sycamore digital calendar that listed Monday, Jan. 8th as the day classes resume, but that is incorrect. We have fixed the Sycamore calendar to match all of the other printed and digital HRA calendars. We apologize if this has caused anyone to make travel plans that will cause you to miss school in January. Please alert the Front Office if your child will be missing school due to this error so they can be excused.
- Women’s Morning of Reflection at St. Patrick’s Parish – All women of the Archdiocese of Anchorage are invited to attend the Women’s Morning of Reflection on Saturday, December 9th. The event will begin at 9:00 a.m. and include Confession, Mass, talks from Fr. Ben Madanu and Miss Catherine Neumayr, and a light lunch. For more information about attending or volunteering to help, contact Anna Abbott: email@example.com.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mr. Le for donating a large screen TV to supplement the school’s audio/visual resources.
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling Team competed in the Grace Grizzly Grappler tournament at Grace Christian School this Friday & Saturday, 12/1-2
- The 5th-8th Grade Basketball Team lost a close, back & forth game to Lumen Christi, 25-28, on Monday, 11/27 in which the boys pressed their opponents to the very end. Go Knights!
- The 5th-8th Grade Basketball Team Competes in the State Tournament this week, Thursday, 11/30- Saturday, 12/2. Thursday, they faced Faith Lutheran at 4:40 p.m. at the Birchwood Christian School court. The boys were excused from school early on Friday for more games. Results of the tournament will be announced at the next Morning Assembly.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 11/27: Morning Assembly – The school met briefly this week to pray and preview the plan for the week.
MONDAY 11/27: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 4th Grade and gave a talk about Advent.
TUESDAY 11/28: The HRA parents prepared an amazing Second Thanksgiving luncheon for the faculty. Thank you to Mrs. Tiwari and Mrs. Hart for all of their work coordinating the event, to Mrs. Bohne, Mrs. Bolin, and Mrs. Reyes for their work setting-up, serving lunch, and cleaning at the end, and to all of the parents who brought all the delicious dishes that not only fed us on Tuesday, but lasted all through the week: Mrs. Cedilo, Mrs. Bohne, Mrs. Carlson, Mrs. Koop, Mr. Beaty, Mr. & Mrs. Wright, Mr. & Mrs. Longlet, Ms. Meier, Mrs. Lincoln, and any others who slipped in without being noticed. The faculty feasted on ham, mashed potatoes & gravy, dressing, green beans, fruit salad, green salad, pies, cinnamon rolls, and cranberry sauce.
TUESDAY 11/28: The Alaska Children’s Choir came and sang a selection of early Christmas songs for the Elementary school in St. Dominic’s Hall.
TUESDAY 11/28: The 11th & 12th Grades went to Lumen Christi Secondary school for a presentation by Jesuit Brother Guy Consolmagno, the Vatican Astronomer to the U.S.
TUESDAY 11/28: Fr. Patrick Brosamer presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Isaac Grandel (6th) and Earthen Le (6th)
- Prayer Leader: Mason Nguyen (6th)
- Reader: Stephen Hart (6th)
- Psalm: Arabella Allen (6th)
- Petitions: Andrew Duryea (6th)
THURSDAY 11/30: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. heard confessions for the Jr. High and presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: Gary Holder (9th)
- Reader: Michael Krol (7th)
- Cantor: Jon Syren (12th)
- Petitions: Maria Koop (7th)
FRIDAY 12/1: The 1st Grade enjoyed a trip to the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts to see A Very Electric Christmas. Thank you to HRA parent, Mr. Patton, for driving the class in the school bus.
FRIDAY 12/1: The Upper School followed a Mary Schedule with First Friday Adoration in the JPII Chapel during Homeroom and a Medieval Art History presentation and activity with Dr. Walters in the afternoon. They were joined by the 6th Grade for the Art History activity in which students used hand mixed pigments to make their own illuminated pages.
FRIDAY 12/1: The 5th Grade completed their animal cell study with some lab work in the St. Albert the Great Science Lab. The class observed cheek cells under a microscope and compared them to the plant cells they had observed in a previous lab activity. They completed the unit with a discussion of how the forms of each kind of cell might be connected to its function.
FRIDAY 12/1: Bird TLC visited the campus to give a presentation to grades K-3 in the Kolbe Lobby to teach the students about bird rehabilitation in Alaska. Lisa, the volunteer presenter from Bird TLC, came with a 25+ year old great horned owl and a 12 year old crow who have been trained as education birds. Thank you to HRA parent & Trustee, Mr. Longlet, for arranging this terrific experience for the Lower Elementary.
SATURDAY 12/2: The Anchorage Rabbit Club is held their winter Rabbit Show throughout the morning in St. Dominic’s Hall. The rabbit show was open to all interested guests.
SATURDAY 12/2: The HS Seniors are hosted a Grinch themed dance for the Upper School in the St. Cecilia music room on the second floor of the St. Bosco Bldg. Thank you to the Seniors and Juniors who worked so hard to decorate the venue on Friday afternoon.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 12/4: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 12/4: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will be visiting the 7th Grade Theology class.
TUESDAY 12/5: The High School Drama students will be excused from classes to rehearse for their matinee performance of Midsummer Night’s Dream on Thursday, December 7th.
TUESDAY 12/5: Middle School Volleyball Meeting: 5th-8th Grade students interested in playing co-ed volleyball will meet with the Athletic Director in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library at 11:00 a.m.
WEDNESDAY 12/6: Feast of St. Nicholas – The HRA community will attend the Sacred Liturgy at St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church at 1:00 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 12/6: Upper School Special Schedule A
THURSDAY 12/7: Upper School Special Schedule –
- 8:00-8:45 Period 1
- 8:48-9:33 Period 2
- 9:36-10:21 Period 3
- 10:24-11:09 Period 4
- 11:12-11:57 Period 5
- 12:00-12:35 Lunch (7-12)
- 12:35-1:20 Period 6
- 1:20-1:30 Homeroom
- 1:30-3:10 HS Play
THURSDAY 12/7: High School production of Midsummer Night’s Dream for grades 5-12 in St. Dominic’s Hall at 1:30 p.m.
FRIDAY 12/8: NO SCHOOL in observance of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- The 2nd Quarter ends on Wednesday, December 20th. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. There will be no After School Care that day.
- The 3rd Quarter begins on Thursday, January 4th.
Holy Father’s Intentions: December
That the elderly, sustained by families and Christian communities, may apply their wisdom and experience to spreading the faith and forming the new generations.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- The community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goal keeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Therese Syren, recovering from surgery for a kidney stone
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Mrs. Denzer (HRA parent)
- Mrs. Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Mrs. Shoop & Josiah
- Mrs. Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Mrs. Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)