Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The EARLY RE-ENROLLMENT DISCOUNT ENDS FRIDAY, MARCH 16TH!
- Save $100 per family when you pay your Re-Enrollment Fees on or before Friday, March 16th!
- The Enrollment Fees this year are still $300 per student.
- Login to the HRA Sycamore site to complete your re-enrollment online by clicking on My School | Enrollment to register your children for the next school year.
- CARPOOLING IN THE MORNINGS – The Dubay family needs help getting their child to school in the mornings for the next month. They live in the area of Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral. Please contact the Front Office for more information if you are willing to help.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fr. A. J. Fisher is in need of help after his knee replacement surgery. He is currently unable to walk and needs assistance moving about his home. He has requested adults, individuals or pairs, to stay with him for four-hour shifts. Please consider helping in this corporal work of mercy. Call the HRA Front Office for Fr. Fisher’s contact information and learn more about how you can help this retired priest.
- Girl Scout Cookies for the Troops – We have a donation jar in the Front Office for anyone who would like to donate Girl Scout cookies for the troops of the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan next week. One of our 4th Graders, Anya, is a Girl Scout and her family will ship cookies to Afghanistan (c/o Fr. Bolin) on behalf of everyone that wants to donate cookies to the troops. Thank you to all who have contributed so far.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Will Deering (10th) for shoveling snow again last weekend and to Will, Jonas Knox (8th) & Christopher Knox who chipped ice and shoveled snow from pathways throughout the week.
- Congratulations to Forrest Rose (12th) on earning another merit-based scholarship, the Alaska Miner Section Scholarship for $1000 per year. Forrest’s combined merit-based scholarships now total $12,000 per year for his first four years of college.
- Congratulations to Ciara McMorrow (12th) on her acceptance to the University of Mary in North Dakota, UAA, University of Wyoming, and Grand Canyon University with merit-based scholarships to each.
- Thank you to parent volunteer, Dixon, for supervising Kindergarten on Monday afternoon and proctoring make-up tests on Tuesday afternoon.
- High School Track – Practices started this week. There is still room for students interested in participating in track. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Congratulations to Gary Holder (9th) and Gwen Holder (7th) for each placing first in the first downhill ski competitions last weekend at Hilltop.
- Congratulations to Amarisa Manuel (6th) who took 1st place at the State Wrestling Tournament last weekend. She will go on to the Northwest Regionals.
- Ciara McMorrow (12th) had her Senior Celtic Dance performance last weekend.
WEEK IN REVIEW
SATURDAY 3/3: The HS Seniors hosted an Upper School Game Night which was a great success! Thank you, Seniors.
MONDAY 3/5: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- As we begin the third week of Lent, let us reflect on how to be good to our neighbors.
- Miss Neumayr announced the news about our re-accreditation with NAPCIS.
- Thanks to all the students who helped with the Open House. All the parents who spoke with Miss Neumayr commented on how impressive their student tour guides had been. Two families applied that night.
- Congratulations to Cameron Dixon (5th) who qualified for the Alaska State Geography Bee. Go, Knights!
- Congratulations to Stephen Woyte (12th) who enlisted in the Alaska Air National Guard last weekend. He will train as a Loadmaster on C-17 aircraft. We are very proud of our HRA Knights in the armed services!
- Congratulations to Paige Bolin (9th) who placed 1st in the State Latin Declamations for Latin I. Go, Knights! We also thank Klotz who represented the school as a judge for the event.
- We previewed the plan for the week and recognized everyone celebrating a birthday this week.
MONDAY 3/5: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. visited the 8th-grade
Theology class and talked about the Gospel of John with the students. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David.
TUESDAY 3/6: Br. Joshua Gatus, O.P. completed altar server training for Masses in the JPII Chapel with the 5th Grade boys. They are now ready to help anywhere on campus.
TUESDAY 3/6: Fr. Patrick Brosamer presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Isaac Grandel (6th), Earthen Le (6th) and Cameron Dixon (5th)
- Prayer Leader: Ellie Droege (6th)
- First Reading: Jadyn Hill (6th)
- Responsorial Psalm: Verity Pendergast (6th)
- Petitions: Andy Duryea (6th)
WEDNESDAY 3/7: We were visited by two professionals in the space program who spoke to the Upper School and to Grades 2-6 in two different assemblies. Hanna Massell (12th) has provided a summary of the Upper School talk for this newsletter:
Mr. Jenkins, a contractor for NASA, and Ms. Brandt, an employee for Kennedy Space Center, came and gave a presentation to the 7th-12th Grades. Kennedy Space Center is currently growing vegetables in space and experimenting with protein crystallization in hopes that they find treatments for Parkinson’s disease and cancer. We were informed that NASA is currently working on their most impressive rocket, the Falcon Healy, which will be strong enough to launch humans to the moon and eventually to Mars. They concluded their presentation by telling us to never stop learning and that the key to success is to find your method of learning.
WEDNESDAY 3/7: Due to an event conflict at Bear Tooth, we experimented with ordering pizza from Fat Ptarmigan on Pizza Day this month. We look forward to returning to our normal routine in April. Thank you to our Pizza Day volunteers: Ms. Brookwell, Mrs. Cedillo, and Mr. Fouch.
THURSDAY 3/8: The 2018 HRA Science Fair was a great success! The projects were truly impressive. The judges were very impressed and asked every student many questions about their projects. Thank you to our volunteer judges: Andre Andrews (IT professional), Janina Broek (engineer), Rocky Capozzi (engineer), Nathan Harmston (graduate student in Biology), Mary Helms (AK Science & Engineering Fair representative), Dan Jenkins (wildlife biologist), Violet Krol (nurse), Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. (Dominican priest w/a background in computer science & engineering), and Patrick Murray (pilot). We would particularly like to thank our long-time science fair coordinator, Jacki Rose.
THURSDAY 3/8: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: Collin Wright (9th)
- First Reading: Christian Bolin (7th)
- Petitions: Gwendolyn Holder (7th)
- Cantor: Ashley Stephens (10th)
FRIDAY 3/9: Upper School followed the Joseph Schedule and attended a lesson on Renaissance Art History with Dr. Walters for the afternoon. The Upper School was joined by the 6th Grade for the art history lesson.
FRIDAY 3/9: Upper School shared a soup lunch provided by the 9th Grade after praying the Stations of the Cross.
THE WEEK AHEAD
SUNDAY 3/11: DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME BEGINS – Set clocks forward one hour. Don’t be late to school on Monday.
MONDAY 3/12: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 3/12: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. will train the Upper School on the Dominican Rite Mass during the theology period.
MONDAY 3/12: HS Drama Club meeting in Kolbe Lobby
TUESDAY 3/13: 3rd-12th Grade students will take the final Mathfax tests during their normal math classes. The top three cumulative scores in each class will be recognized at the end of year Awards Assembly.
TUESDAY 3/13: SAFE ENVIRONMENT LESSONS – Mr. Fleming will speak to each of the classes and give an age-appropriate talk about being safe and aware in their environment. Parents are always welcome to attend the talk with their child. The schedule will be emailed to parents on Monday.
TUESDAY 3/13: Elementary students will have an opportunity for Confession in the afternoon.
TUESDAY 3/13: Elementary Mass with Fr Whitney in the JPII Chapel, 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 3/14: HS Drama Club meeting in St. Cecilia music room.
THURSDAY 3/14: The 3rd Grade will have a Lenten Retreat at Holy Family Cathedral
THURSDAY 3/8: Upper School Mass with the Dominican chaplains, 9:45 a.m. with 7th & 8th Grade Confessions starting at 9:00 a.m. since the Science Fair impeded their opportunity last week.
FRIDAY 3/9: Last day of 3rd Quarter
FRIDAY 3/9: Upper School Mary Schedule with Community Service in the afternoon
FRIDAY 3/9: Upper School soup lunch provided by the 7th & 8th Grades.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Monday, March 19th is the Feast of St. Joseph! We need help from parents to provide a special spaghetti lunch for the children in honor of the feast day of one of the school’s patron saints, St. Joseph the Worker.
- Spring Student Presentations, Upper School: 3/21-23 and Elementary: 3/22-23
- There will be Noon Dismissal for Upper School on Wednesday, March 21st.
- There will be Noon Dismissal for K-12 on Thursday, March 22nd.
- There will be no classes on Friday, March 23 for Spring Student Presentations. The date is marked on your HRA Wall Calendars as a student ISD (In-Service Day) because the students will be assigned work to do at home on that day.
- We will celebrate Joseph Day with a K-12 Dominican Rite Mass and spaghetti lunch on Monday, March 19th. Please contact the HRA Share Hour Coordinator if you would like to bring a pan of spaghetti or loaf of garlic bread for the event.
- NO SCHOOL FOR EASTER VACATION: MARCH 29-APRIL 8
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: Formation in Spiritual Discernment That the Church may appreciate the urgency of formation in spiritual discernment, both on the personal and communitarian levels.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Mara El-Khoury
- Katy Morrison
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)