Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Auction tickets are on sale now! There is limited seating, purchase your seats in the HRA Front Office before they are all gone.
- It is very important that all parents coming on campus during the school day sign-in at the Front Office. Please do not go straight to classrooms after 8:00 a.m. At that time, teachers are focused on doing lessons with the children. The Office Staff will be happy to pass any urgent messages to teachers or students.
- Please be mindful of the parking spaces used by the school buses. Parents and students MUST NOT park in the parking spaces designated for the school buses. This delays the buses from returning the students to the classrooms to meet their parents in a timely manner. Cars parking in the designated parking spaces will be asked to move immediately. Please be aware of the Parking lot patterns to help make it a smooth process.
- HRA is in need of particular auction/donation assistance:
- Miles for two round trip airline tickets (Further donations will help bring Dominican Friars to our High School Retreat.)
- Time Share accommodations (fulfills auction obligation)
- Auction Table sponsorship (fulfills auction obligation)
- Donation of new electronics (counted toward auction obligation)
- Raffle Tickets are available in the HRA Front Office. Every family who has not yet picked up their raffle tickets from the Front Office must do so this week. Tickets will be sent home with your child on Friday if you have not yet picked them up. We prefer not to burden your child or run the risk that you do not receive them. We wish to give you the best chance to have many months to sell them. We wish you well in your endeavors.
- State warning RE: Mumps in Anchorage: The Alaska Division of Public Health has issued a letter on September 20th addressing the current confirmed outbreak of mumps in Anchorage. The full letter has been emailed to parents.
- You are invited to participate in the 2017 Rosary Rally following the 9:00 a.m. Mass in the Holy Family Cathedral’s Outdoor Grotto. The Rosary Rally begins at 9:45 .m. with Archbishop Etienne as guest speaker. Please join in praying for peace in the world and the salvation of souls. For more information, contact the Legion of Mary at 242-2908. (*This event happens at the same time as the HRA Auction set-up.)
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Shelby Benton for accepting the position of Secretary of the HRA Parent Association.
- Thank you to Ms. Hodel for subbing for Miss Neumayr while she was out of town.
- Thank you to Miss Ramos (’13) for subbing for Dr. Walters on Monday.
- Thank you to Mrs. Schirda for subbing Mrs. Furby’s classes on Monday and Tuesday.
MONDAY 9/18 – The High School soccer team tied with tie with Lumen Christi, 0-0.
TUESDAY 9/19 – Both the Middle School and High School soccer teams lost hard fought battles against Wasilla Lake by the same score: 0-6.
THURSDAY 9/21 – The Middle School soccer team lost, 2-5, in a rainy game against Birchwood Christian School. They were short three players, but made the effort of an eleven man team. Good job everyone!
THRUSDAY 9/21 – The High School soccer team came from behind to tie with Birchwood, 1-1, from a corner kick take by Thomas Biegel (11th). Go Knights!
- Thank you to Coach Terry Curran for the game reports.
- Up-coming soccer games:
- Middle School – The SuVally game on 9/23 was cancelled. 9/26 Wasilla Lake; 9/27 Lumen Christi; 9/28-30 Regional Tournament
- High School – 9/23 SuValley; 9/26 Wasilla Lake; 9/27 Lumen Christi
- HS Girls’ Volleyball practices have been delayed by a week so team members can finish the soccer & cross country seasons. There is still time to join the volleyball team!
- Co-ed Jr. High Basketball starts on Monday, October 2nd! Sign-ups begin September 25th.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 9/18: Morning Assembly – Mrs. Williams made the announcements in Miss Neumayr’s place.
- Soccer Captain, John Lastimoso (11th), gave the summary of the soccer games from last week.
- Students and faculty were recognized for their efforts and good work of the previous week.
TUESDAY 9/19: Thank you to all the parents who brought such delicious dishes for the Faculty Appreciation Luncheon! Mrs. Bohne, Mr. & Mrs. Longlet, Mr. & Mrs. Denzer, Ms. Meier, Mr. Beaty, Mrs. Carlson, Mrs. Ward, Mrs. Syren, Mrs. Marquez, Mrs. Farriols, Mrs. Lucas, Mrs. Bolin, Mr. & Mrs. Bratulescu. Please pardon us for missing anyone. The HRA parents were so generous that it was not possible to keep track of everything. The faculty ate for a week. Thank you.
THURSDAY 9/21: We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Alexander O’Neill (11th) and Macklen Bell (10th)
- Readers: Lael Droege (12th) and Gabi Holder (12th)
- Cantor: Jacinta Grandel (11th)
- Ushers: Gary Holder (9th) and Charlie Stockard (8th)
FRIDAY 9/22: 3rd Grade Retreat – The Third Grade had a wonderful retreat at Holy Family Cathedral led by our new Retreat Coordinator, Marisa Ramos (’13). Thank you to Fr. Whitney for being a part of the 3rd Grade retreat. You helped make the day a beautiful experience for everyone involved.
FRIDAY 9/22: The Upper School followed the Joseph Schedule and spent the afternoon practicing their dance moves. Thank you to parent volunteers, Mr. & Mrs. Ford, who taught waltz, and alumnus, Michael El Khoury (’11), who taught swing with Mrs. Furby. The students also learned the Virginia reel with Dr. Walters and Mr. Hodgson.
FRIDAY 9/22: The 5th Grade went on a field trip to the Eagle River Nature Center for an outdoor experience that connected their science studies with their recent reading of Where the Red Fern Grows. Thank you to Mr. & Mrs. Woyte and Mr. Stevens for helping drive and chaperone the field trip.
FRIDAY 9/22: The school practiced a fire drill in the morning in conjunction with the annual testing of the campus alarm systems. The students performed admirably, especially the Elementary grades who were called upon to do two fire drills in one morning because of the way the buildings were tested.
FRIDAY 9/22: Student portraits went home with students. Each envelope lists the personal order code of that student so parents can make or adjust their picture order at LifeTouch.com.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 9/25: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 9/25: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will visit the 6th Grade class in the morning as part of their religion studies this week, since he was on retreat last week.
MONDAY 9/25: HRA Band practice, 3:20-4:20 p.m. in St. Cecilia Music Room.
TUESDAY 9/26: Elementary Mass with Fr. Tom Lilly in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 9/27: Pizza Day – K-2 students will eat lunch in St. Dominic’s with the rest of the Elementary grades.
THURSDAY 9/28: Krispy Kreme pick-up and on-campus sales
THURSDAY 9/28: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 9/29: Upper School Mary Schedule – Students will have an Art History lesson with Dr. Walters focusing on art of the ancient and classical periods.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday, October 9th in observance of Columbus Day.
- Grades 9-11 will take the PSAT in St. Dominic’s Hall on Wednesday, October 11th from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- HRA Auction Gala – Saturday, October 14th at the downtown Marriott Hotel
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Parishes – That our parishes, animated by a missionary spirit, may be places where faith is communicated and charity is seen.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- The Koop family as they experience health challenges
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- For the protection of all those living in the path of dangerous storms this hurricane season
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- The 21 year old Alaskan woman in Nevada who was injured in an accident.
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- Shelby Benton (HRA parent), in the hospital for gall bladder surgery
Expectant Mothers :
- Bird (used to live on campus)
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Shoop & Josiah
- Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)