Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Welcome back to school, happy New Year!
- Student Report Cards were delayed because of some delivery problems with the Post Office. They were not mailed until Thursday morning. Please let the office staff know if you have not yet received your child’s report card and your quarterly statement.
- Epiphany Concert – Monday, January 8th at 1:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- The funeral Mass for Mrs. Diane Fleming will be held at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral on Monday, January 15th at noon. Archbishop Emeritus Roger Schwietz, OMI will be presiding. Fleming has asked that the HRA students come to the Mass and sing the Kievan Our Father that they do so beautifully. There is no school that day in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. We, therefore, implore all of our parents to come to the funeral with their children in dress uniform. Faculty and students will sit together so we can sing from our places when it is time for the Our Father.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Congratulations to Jon Syren (12th), he was accepted to the University of Dallas.
- Thank you to Miss Natalie Mezzetti for subbing in 6th Grade from December 13th to January 11th.
- Thank you to Mrs. Lauren Rannals for subbing in 2nd Grade this week.
- Thank you to Br. Joshua subbing in 3rd Grade this week.
WEEK IN REVIEW
THURSDAY 1/4: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Welcome back to school!
- Merry Christmas! It is still the Christmas season, let us all rejoice and sing.
- Gabi Holder & Jon Syren were recognized as seniors who have received college acceptance letters. Gabi has already been accepted to Ave Maria University and the University of Oklahoma with an offer of $50,000 over four years. Jon has so far been accepted to the University of Dallas with an offer of $92,000 over four years. There was a quick preview of the short school week before students were dismissed to their classes.
THURSDAY 1/4: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P presided over the All-School Mass in St Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Gary Holder (9th) and Joshua Fouch (7th)
- Reader: Elena Biegel (10th)
- Cantor: Felicity Hart (11th)
- Petitions: Thomas Biegel (11th)
THURSDAY 1/4: 7th & 8th Grade students joined the high school for choir in place of Jr. High Art so the Upper School could practice a few extra songs together which they will sing at the Epiphany Concert.
FRIDAY 1/5: Upper School students followed a Mary Schedule in the morning. 7th-12th Grades enjoyed lunch together followed by Adoration in the JPII Chapel during their homeroom time. Thank you to the 10th Grade, who spent most of that time in lunchroom clean-up and helping Mrs. Furby and Mr. Murray set up St. Dominic’s Hall for the concert rehearsal that afternoon.
FRIDAY 1/5: K-12 students met in St. Dominic’s Hall at 1:00 p.m. to rehearse for the Epiphany Concert. Everyone worked together very efficiently and the elementary grades returned to their classes after about an hour. The Upper School used the remaining time to practice their own parts of the concert. Thank you to Mrs. Klump, Mrs. Kinder, and Mrs. Welsh for preparing the students so well for the coming concert.
THE WEEK WE RETURN:
MONDAY 1/8: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall, 8:00 a.m.
MONDAY 1/8: Upper School Joseph Schedule
MONDAY 1/8: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P will be on campus for the annual Lintel Blessing.
MONDAY 1/8: Epiphany Concert in St. Dominic’s Hall, 1-3p.m. Family & friends are invited to attend.
TUESDAY 1/9: The January meeting of the HRA Board of Trustees has been rescheduled to January 9th. The meetings are normally scheduled for the second Thursday of each month from 7-9 a.m. in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library. The hour and location of the meeting this Tuesday remain unchanged.
TUESDAY 1/9: Elementary Mass with Fr. Tom Lilly in the JPII Chapel, 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 1/10: Grades K-2 are taking a field trip to the Anchorage Museum of History & Art. They will depart the HRA campus at 11:00 a.m. and return at 3:00 p.m. Please speak to your child’s teacher if you would like to be a chaperone for this activity.
WEDNESDAY 1/10: K-12 Faculty Meeting in the St. Kolbe Bldg. 3:30 p.m.
THURSDAY 1/11: 9th-10th Grade Confession opportunity, 9-9:30 a.m.
THURSDAY 1/11: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel, 9:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 1/12: Upper School Mary Schedule – Students will spend the afternoon in campus stewardship, cleaning and packing the Christmas decorations.
FRIDAY 1/12: Grades 3-6 are going on a winter bonding field trip to the Eagle River Nature Center. We need parent drivers and chaperones to help with this full day activity.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- NO SCHOOL for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, January 15th.
- The funeral Mass for Diane Fleming will be held on Monday, January 15th at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral at noon. All students are asked to attend and sing the school’s signature Our Father during the Mass.
- NO SCHOOL on Friday, January 19th – Faculty In-Service Meetings
- There will be an additional performance of the High School production of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream on Saturday, January 20th at the Awaken Church. (More details to come.)
- The Catholic Schools Day Mass is Monday, January 29th. All Grades will go to Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral for the Mass with Archbishop Etienne.
- Raffle Tickets are due Tuesday, January 30th.
- Raffle Ticket Drawing, Wednesday, January 31st at noon in St. Dominic’s Hall
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: Religious Minorities in Asia
That Christians, and other religious minorities in Asian countries, may be able to practice their faith in full freedom.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Therese Syren, recovering from surgery for a kidney stone
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- The Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- Fr. A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Dr. Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent)
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)