Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- HRA Raffle Earnings – The 2017 HRA Raffle brought in $73,666 gross and $63,166 net earnings. Good selling, folks!
- Mid-Quarter Progress Reports were sent home with the students on Friday, February 10th. Please sign these and return them to your child’s teacher by Friday, February 17th, 2017.
- The Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist are advertising their 2017 and 2018 Vocation Discernment Retreats in Ann Arbor, MI in February, April, and November of this year and next. Go to their website for details and online registration: https://www.sistersofmary.org/ if you would like to learn more about attending one of these retreats.
- Misplaced Crock Pot – After the spaghetti luncheon, the Pfeiffer’s black oval crock was sent home with the wrong family. If you also own a black oval crock pot, please check to see if your crock is slightly too small for the heating element. Your crock is in the faculty room in the St. Kolbe Bldg.
- SHARE HOUR OPPORTUNITIES: We are looking for parents who can help supervise students in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library from 7:00-7:40 a.m.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mrs. Dixon and Mrs. Vreeling for helping in the Front Office this week while Mr. Taylor was out sick.
- Thank you to Mrs. Cookson for subbing this week for Fr. Manzano and Mrs. Shoop.
DISCOUNTS FOR EARLY RE-ENROLLMENT & RECRUITMENT
- Families who re-enroll their children at HRA for the 2017-18 School Year between February 17th & March 10th will receive a discount of $100 on their Enrollment
- Families will receive a $100 discount on their tuition costs if they refer a new family to enroll at HRA for the coming 2017-18 School Year.
WEEK IN REVIEW
SATURDAY 2/4: The rescheduled Dinner Theater production of Shakespeare’s Macbeth was an unforgettable experience. The students adapted their show to the much smaller St. Dominic’s Hall and gave stirring performances with the guests surrounding them and in their midst. The students went through a great deal for this year’s production. We commend them and we thank them.
SATURDAY & SUNDAY 2/4-5: Miss Neumayr visited the Masses at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral over the weekend to encourage families to consider Catholic education at Holy Rosary Academy. We would like to thank the Carlson family, the Cedillo family, and the Reyes family for coming with their students in uniform to help Miss Neumayr. Mrs. Cedillo also translated the after-Mass announcement into Spanish.
MONDAY 2/6: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Miss Neumayr, Mrs. Williams, and Miss Logsdail spent a weekend attending a teaching conference recently. They learned a great deal from speakers that had come from all over the country.
- Indoor Soccer Season has started. 5th-8th grade students are training with student coaches, Eric Bjelland (12th) and Andrew Cookson (10th). Thank you, gentlemen, for your time and support of the younger students.
- Taylor filmed the final performance of Macbeth. DVDs will be available in the near future.
- We can expect to see visitors on campus much more often now that marketing and recruitment for next school year has begun. Student were reminded to be courteous and keep the campus neat and tidy.
- Miss Neumayr finished by reading an article about Catholic Schools Week from the Catholic Anchor which featured a quote from HRA parent, Hart.
TUESDAY 2/7: Fr. Brosamer said Mass for the Lower School in the St. JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We also thank the following students for their particular help in the Mass:
Altar Servers: Joshua Fouch (6th) and Earthen Le (5th)
Readers: Alena Kelley (6th) and Maria Koop (6th)
WEDNESDAY 2/8: 3rd & 4th Grades went on a field trip to the Campbell Creek Science Center to learn winter survival skills. We would like to thank Mrs. Broek, Mrs. Dixon, Mr. Murray, Mr. Patton, Mrs. Pendergast, and Mrs. Woyte for driving and helping chaperone the students for this activity.
THURSDAY 2/9: Our own 4th Grade teacher, Miss Evans, was named the KTVA Teacher of the Week after being nominated by one of her students, Nicolas Reiman. James Gaddis and a KTVA camera man visited Miss Evans’ classroom to film a lesson after lunch and interviewed her and some students. We can all watch the clip on channel 11 KTVA this coming Monday, February 13th. It will air on three different news casts throughout the day and then be available online at http://www.ktva.com/on-air/teacher-of-the-week-on-air/.
THURSDAY 2/9: Fr. Christopher Brannon OP said Mass for the Upper School. Thank you Fr. Christopher. We also thank the following students for their particular help in the Mass:
Altar Server: Macklen Bell (9th)
Readers: Aine Nakada (9th) and Kayla Persson (10th)
THURSDAY 2/9: 3rd Quarter Parent Association Meeting – We would like to thank everyone who attended the meeting. We received some great feedback from parents. Meeting Minutes will be sent with the Update next week and posted to the HRA Sycamore Site. We would like to thank our babysitters: Felicity Hart (10th) and Brooke Bune (7th).
FRIDAY 2/10: The Upper School followed a Joseph Schedule. 7th – 10th grade students worked on Science Fair posters with their science teachers while 11th & 12th grade students worked on their theses.
FRIDAY 2/10: 1st Grade went to the Anchorage Center for the Performing Arts to watch a performance of Celeste. Thank you, Mr. Patton, for driving one of the school buses for this field trip.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 2/13: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall at 8:15
TUESDAY 2/14: Lower School Mass with Fr. Roraff in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 2/15: OPEN HOUSE at HRA from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. Student and parent volunteers are asked to come a little early for instructions.
THURSDAY 2/16: Board of Trustees Meeting in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library from 7:00-9:00 a.m.
THURSDAY 2/16: Upper School Mass with Fr. Dominic David in the JPII Chapel at 9:15 a.m.
THURSDAY 2/16: Lower School classes will offer the rosary for the repose of the soul of benefactor, Thomas Bichsel.
FRIDAY 2/17: Upper School Mary Schedule –7th-10th Grades will work on their science fair presentations. 11th & 12th Grades will work on their theses. Students will be permitted to wear their gym uniforms.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- There will be no school on Monday, February 20th in observance of Presidents Day.
- The HRA Science Fair is Thursday, February 23rd in St. Dominic’s Hall. All are welcome to come see the projects on display.
- Ash Wednesday is March 1st. There will be an All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall at 9:45 a.m. Parents are welcome to attend, but space is limited.
- Student Presentations will take place the week of March 6th-10th. Upper School students will be dismissed at Noon on Wednesday, March 8th. All grades will be dismissed at Noon on Thursday, March 9th. There will be no classes on Friday, March 10th.
- HRA will be closed for Spring Vacation March 13th through 17th.