Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- NO PARKING BETWEEN THE LIGHT POST AND FIREWEED LANE IN THE EAST PARKING LOT: The parking spaces between the light post and Fireweed Lane in the East Parking Lot are reserved for the Dental Office. They have called to make complaints about having their parking spaces taken by HRA vehicles or having their vehicles blocked by HRA family vehicles. Please be good neighbors to the business that shares our parking lot.
- NEW SPRING P.A. FUNDRAISER – The HRA Parent Association is hosting a collection drive for clothing and small household items. Value Village is partnering with us for a Rummage Sale on Wednesday, April 11th. BRING YOUR GENTLY USED ITEMS TO HRA between MONDAY-WEDNESDAY, APRIL 9TH-11TH, and Holy Rosary Academy will receive a portion of the proceeds.
- ENROLLMENT DEADLINES:
- The deadline for Financial Assistance Applications is Tuesday, May 15th.
- Preference for returning students will also end on Tuesday, May 15th. After this date, we cannot give priority to returning students over new students who apply.
- HELP FOR FATHER FISHER – Our former chaplain, Fisher needs a ramp built at his home. Mrs. Rawalt is organizing a group of HRA volunteers for this building project. Call the HRA Front Office or email the HRA Share Hour Coordinator to volunteer for this project.
- Patrick’s parish is hosting a Women’s Morning of Reflection on Saturday, April 7th at 9:00 a.m. There will be Confession, Rosary, Mass, a reflection from Kristina Johannes, and lunch. (See attached flyer.)
- Start planning summer activities! Students brought home flyers on Wednesday for the UAA summer Reading Skills Programs. Programs are available for 4-year-olds through 10th Call (800)978-9596 for more information and to register.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Congratulations to Cameron Dixon (5th) on placing in the top 3 competitors in the Alaska State Spelling Bee on Thursday, March 29th. Go, knights!
- Thank you to Mrs. Bolin for subbing in the Upper School this week.
- Thank you to Therese Knox (’16) for subbing in 3rd grade on Tuesday.
- 5th-8th Grade Indoor Soccer – The Lumen Christi Soccer Rally was rescheduled for Wednesday, March 28, 2018. The results will be announced at the next Morning Assembly.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 3/26: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- This is Holy Week. We will only be in classes for three days.
- We will be on Easter Vacation from Thursday, March 29th-Sunday, April 8th.
- Congratulations to all students for their wonderful presentations last week.
- HRA won the school trophy for top participation with awards at the Alaska Science & Engineering Fair. We will hold the school trophy for the year and our name will remain on a plaque on the trophy no matter which school wins the award next year. The following HRA students participated in the Alaska Science & Engineering Fair: Cameron Dixon (5th), Daniel Krol (5th), Nicolas Reiman (5th), Sophia Woyte (5th), Arabella Allen (6th), Isaac Grandel (6th), Earthen Le (6th), Emma Cookson (8th), Grace Ward (8th), Yordana Sidun (9th), Will Deering (10th), Savio Le (11th), and Alexander O’Neill (11th).
- The following HRA students earned awards at the Alaska State Science & Engineering Fair:
- Cameron Dixon (5th) – 1st Place ribbon for presentation & display
- Nicolas Reiman (5th) – 1st Place ribbon for presentation & display
- Daniel Krol (5th) – 1st Place ribbon for presentation & display
- Isaac Grandel (6th) – 1st Place ribbon for presentation & display
- Grace Ward (8th) – Middle School Category Award Winner; Broadcom Masters nomination for Top Science Fair Project in the Nation. (Grace has qualified to compete in Washington D.C. next October.)
- Yordana Sidun (9th) – 1st Place Display; Alaska Professional Communicators honorable mention for board display
- Will Deering (10th) – 1st Place in Abstract Competition; Alaska Resource Education Award honorable mention; ISEF Alumni Award for project design “best board”; U.S. Public Health Award; 2nd Place overall winner of ASEF (qualifies to compete at the International Science & Engineering Fair in Pittsburgh, PA this May); High School Category Winner
- Alexander O’Neill (11th) – Alaska Resource Education Award; Office of Naval and Marines Research Award
- Savio Le (11th) – Red Cat Fook Technologies Award; NASA Earth Science Award; NOAA Award; High School Category Winner; INTEL Sustainability Award; ASU Walton Sustainability Solutions Award; U.S. Water Environment Junior Stockholm Water Prize; 1st Place ASEF Winner (qualifies to compete in Pittsburgh, PA at the International Science & Engineering Fair)
- Congratulations to Yrvin de la Cruz (1st) whose baby sister, Nashala Hernandez, was born last week.
- Last week, Holy Rosary Academy became the first of eight K-12 schools to be recognized by the Cardinal Newman Society as a School of Excellence on the Catholic Education Honor Roll.
MONDAY 3/26: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. observed the 10th Grade Church History class. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David.
TUESDAY 3/27: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz, O.P. presided over the All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Joshua Fouch (7th), Andrew Kelly (7th)
- Cantor: Felicity Hart (11th)
- Reader: John Lastimoso (11th)
- Petitions: Alexander O’Neill (11th)
TUESDAY 3/27: Kindergarten held a Seder supper to learn more about the Jewish traditions of Passover at the root of our own Catholic Faith.
TUESDAY 3/27: 1st Grade watched Prince of Egypt in the library in the afternoon as a special Holy Week treat.
WEDNESDAY 3/28: The Upper School followed a Special Schedule A and gathered in mixed-age groups for an All-Upper-School Seminar in the afternoon. Students read and discussed “The Salvation of Zachary Baumkleterrer” by George Mavrodes.
THURSDAY- FRIDAY 3/29-30: NO SCHOOL FOR MAUNDY THURSDAY AND GOOD FRIDAY.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY-FRIDAY 4/2-6: NO SCHOOL FOR THE EASTER OCTAVE
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- CLASSES RESUME Monday, April 9th.
- The final Parent Association Meeting will be Monday, April 16th in the Kolbe Lobby, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Greek & Roman Festival, Friday, April 20th
- ATTN 11TH GRADE PARENTS – Mark your calendars!
11th Grade Thesis Defense Monday, April 23rd-Thursday, April 26th, 1-3 p.m. daily.
- Monday: Alexander O’Neill, Andrew Cookson, Felicity Hart
- Tuesday: Joseph Bjelland, John Lastimoso
- Wednesday: Isabella van Tets, Carly Syren, Jacinta Grandel
- Thursday: Thomas Biegel, Savio Le
- ATTN 12TH GRADE PARENTS – Mark your calendars!
12th Grade Thesis Defense Monday, April 23rd-Friday, April 27th, 4-6 p.m. daily and also 1-3 p.m. on Friday
- Monday: Atlin Bell, Forrest Rose
- Tuesday: Gabi Holder, Sam Jemmings
- Wednesday: Ciara McMorrow, Hanna Massell
- Thursday: Stephen Woyte, Lael Droege
- Friday (1-3): Michael Lucas, Juliana Biegel (4-6): Drew Benton, Jon Syren
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: Formation in Spiritual Discernment That the Church may appreciate the urgency of formation in spiritual discernment, both on the personal and communitarian levels.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- Taylor family
- Fleming, recovering slowly from gallbladder surgery
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Mara El-Khoury
- Katy Morrison
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
- For the speedy recovery of Bernadette Hart (8th) after her back surgery
- Curran (HRA Athletic Director) currently in the hospital
- Bronwen Scott-Branagan (grandmother of a student) in need of healing prayers
Expectant Mothers :
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda) & baby Agnes Margaret (born 3/24/18)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) & baby Milo (born 3/26/18)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader) & baby Nashala
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Evangeline Julia (Mrs. Stromilov’s godmother’s mom)
- Rita Droege (grandmother of Droege students), died March 25th