HRA WEEKLY UPDATE – Happy Thanksgiving!
24 NOVEMBER 2017
Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Catholic Radio for Anchorage has a new studio and we are ready to show it off! – Please come to the 2nd floor of the St. John Bosco Building on the HRA Campus, Saturday, November 25th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.where KHRM 94.1 FM will host an open house for listeners, the public, and clergy. We can even put you ON THE AIR! Come join the celebration of our new studio and learn more about Catholic Radio for Anchorage. Food and drinks provided.
- We have noticed some vehicles driving too fast in the school parking lots. Please remember to maintain a speed no greater than 10 mph in our parking lots. Thank you.
- Looking for a student Math Tutor – One of the 4th grade girls is in need to a math tutor to help her with division. Her family is looking for a High School girl to help her and be a role model for girls with math knowledge. If your daughter is interested in this extracurricular service project, please contact Mrs. Furby in the Front Office for more information.
- Open Duplex Rental – Mr. & Mrs. Dubey (an Elementary family) have an open unit in their duplex available for rent:
Newly renovated duplex with big fenced yard. 3 bedroom and 2 bath rental duplex unit has new kitchen, new appliances and new lighting. Close to airport, groceries and other amenities.
Mrs. Furby will assist you in contacting the Dubeys to make inquiries about the unit. Photos available. HRA families will be given a preference.
- Women’s Morning of Reflection at St. Patrick’s Parish – All women of the Archdiocese of Anchorage are invited to attend the Women’s Morning of Reflection on Saturday, December 9th. The event will begin at 9:00 a.m. and include Confession, Mass, talks from Fr. Ben Madanu and Miss Catherine Neumayr, and a light lunch. For more information about attending or volunteering to help, contact Anna Abbott: firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mr. & Mrs. Bilafer (parents of Mrs. Klump) for donating a snow blower to the school.
- Thank you to Mrs. Bohne (HRA grandparent) for donating two sets of jumper cables for the school buses.
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling – Michael Lucas (12th) won the Lancer Smith Memorial Tournament at the Menard Sports Center in Wasilla last weekend with 7-0 matches. He was named the Outstanding Wrestler of the Tournament among 18 other returning State Champion wrestlers, quite a feat! Thomas Biegel continues to climb the JV ranks, making it to the quarter finals in this tournament. Go Knights!
- The wrestling team competed in a duals meet with Anchorage Christian School and Grace Christian School at ACS on Tuesday, November 21st.
- The 5th-8th Grade Basketball Team enjoyed a 28-24 victory over Birchwood on 11/16 in their first game of the season on a full-size court. Go Knights!
- The 5th-8th Grade Basketball Team lost in a nail biter, 18-20, against Anchor Lutheran on 11/17. The game was close all the way through the last second.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 11/20: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- HRA welcomed a new 3rd Grade student, Matthew Biegel, to the school.
- Congratulations to the 11th & 12th Grades for completing the first step in their Thesis Projects. Their questions have been submitted for approval and advisors. Go Knights!
- Mitchell Marquez (9th) and Mary Alice Petrash (10th) played their violins in the Super Strings Orchestra Winter Concert at Anchorage Lutheran Church on 11/20. Go Knights!
FRIDAY 11/17 & MONDAY 11/20: 6th Grade Greek Days – The 6th Grade completed their study of Greek history and mythology this week with Sparta Day and Athens Day in which the students lived out a day simulating each ancient culture.
- Sparta Day was last Friday, November 17th. The students wore their gym uniforms all day, engaged in calisthenics during each class transition and for any lapses in disciple and partook of a sparse meal together in their classroom for lunch. The rest of the Elementary were amused at times to hear the 6th Grade chanting, “Sparta! Sparta!” as they ran laps around the St. Kolbe Bldg.
- On Monday, 11/20, students wrapped their gym uniforms in toga-style Greek chitons for the day and did special projects about Athenian life including eating traditional Greek foods for lunch together in their classrooms.
MONDAY 11/20: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 8th Grade Theology class and gave a talk about the Holy Spirit and the Trinity.
MONDAY-WEDNESDAY 11/20-22: The 3rd Grade dioramas of Charlotte’s Web were on display in the Kolbe Lobby.
TUESDAY 11/21: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. presided over the All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Joshua Fouch (7th) and Macklen Bell (10th)
- Readers: Angel Beaty (9th), and Collin Wright (9th)
- Cantor: John Lastimoso (11th)
WEDNESDAY 11/22: All-Upper School Seminar – After following the Special Schedule A in the morning, grades 7-12 met together in mixed-grade groups to discuss ”Enoch and the Gorilla” by Flannery O’Connor.
THURSDAY 11/23: Happy Thanksgiving!
THRUSDAY & FRIDAY 11/23-24: Have a wonderful time at home with your families and friends.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 11/27: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 11/27: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will be visiting the 4th Grade Theology class.
TUESDAY 11/28: The Alaska Children’s Choir will perform in St. Dominic’s Hall for grades K-6, 10:00-10:30 a.m.
TUESDAY 11/28: Faculty Luncheon with a Thanksgiving theme
TUESDAY 11/28: 11th & 12th Grade field trip: Vatican Astronomer, Br. Guy Consolmagno, is speaking at Lumen Christi Secondary School from 1-2 p.m.
TUESDAY 11/28: Elementary Mass, 2:15 p.m. in the JPII Chapel with the Fr. Patrick Brosamer
THURSDAY 11/30: Upper School Mass, 9:45 a.m. in the JPII Chapel with the Dominican chaplains
FRIDAY 12/1: Upper School Mary Day – Art History & Adoration in the afternoon.
FRIDAY 12/1: 1st Grade field trip to watch A Very Electric Christmas at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts
SATURDAY 12/2: Rabbit Show in St. Dominic’s Hall
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Grades K-12 will attend Liturgy at St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church for the Feast of St. Nicholas at 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 6th.
- There will be NO SCHOOL on FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8TH in observance of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
- The High School Drama class will perform a 1 hour rendition of William Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream on Thursday, December 7th
- NO SCHOOL ON FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8 in observance of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
- The 2nd Quarter ends on Wednesday, December 20th. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. There will be no After School Care that day.
Holy Father’s Intentions: Christians in Asia.
That Christians in Asia, bearing witness to the Gospel in word and deed, may promote dialogue, peace, and mutual understanding, especially with those of other religions.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- The 21 year old Alaskan woman in Nevada who was injured in an accident.
- For the protection of all those living in the path of dangerous storms this hurricane season
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- Shelby Benton (HRA parent), recovering from gall bladder surgery
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Bird (former tenant) recovering from surgery
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goal keeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Therese Syren, recovering from surgery for a kidney stone
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Denzer (HRA parent)
- Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Shoop & Josiah
- Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)