HRA WEEKLY UPDATE – HAPPY EASTER!
15 APRIL 2017
Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- We wish you all a blessed Holy Week and happy Easter!
- S. Senator, Dan Sullivan will be visiting HRA on Thursday, April 20th from 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. Parents are welcome to join us for this unique event.
- Returning families have until May 1st to secure their child’s seat for the coming school year. There is the possibility of filling over half of our grades in 2017-18 and three grades already have waiting lists. Bring your Re-enrollment forms and fees to the Office by Monday, May 1st or we will not be able to guarantee your child’s seat in class next fall.
- The major dates for the 2017-18 school year have been posted on the Sycamore calendar and HRA website. Paper copies are also available in the Front Office.
- We ask the parents of all the members of the In-door Soccer Team to make sure all the team jerseys are washed and returned to the Front Office. Families that do not return their team jerseys will have to pay for their replacement.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mr. Burger for subbing for Mrs. Shoop’s Sacred Scripture and 8th Grade History/Geography classes on Wednesday.
- Last weekend, the High School Juniors and Seniors hosted a Game Night on campus as a fundraiser for prom. We would like to thank Welsh, Mr. Klotz, and Mr. Mason for chaperoning the event and Eric Bjelland (12th), Alec Grandel (12th), Atlin Bell (11TH), Julianna Biegel (11th), Gabi Holder (11th), Sam Jemmings (11th), and Ciara McMorrow for all of their work organizing and hosting the event.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 4/10: Miss Neumayr made the following announcements at the Morning Assembly:
- Brosamer wrote a beautiful reflection on the Liturgy of the Triduum in the Weekly Bulletin for St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parish. We opened the Assembly with this reflection for Holy Week.
- Request for prayers this week: The little girl who was lost under snow falling from a rooftop last week later died. Let us keep her and her grieving family in our prayers. Let us also pray for Mrs. Williams’ son David who is currently suffering from appendicitis as well as all those on the school prayer list.
- Congratulations to Drew Benton (11th), who has been recognized as a commended scholar by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. He has scored among the top 50,000 11th grade students out of the 1.2 million students who took the PSAT this year.
- Senior, Eric Bjelland, has chosen to attend Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, AZ next year.
- Congratulations to Michael Lucas (11th), Thomas Biegel (10th), and the Manuel sisters: Amarisa (5th), Belicia (3rd), Kaili (2nd), and Arianna (K) for their wrestling achievements last weekend. Each of the Manuel girls took 1st place in their weight class. Michael won two matches before a neck injury forced him out of the tournament. Thomas also won multiple matches at the event. Go Knights!
MONDAY 4/10: We would like to thank everyone who helped with and attended the final Parent Association Meeting of the year. The minutes of the meeting are available on the HRA Sycamore page under the Documents tab.
TUESDAY 4/11: The whole school attended Mass with Fr. Christopher Brannan O.P. in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Christopher. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: John Lastimoso (10th) and Macklen Bell (9th)
- Readers: Alexander O’Neill (10th) and Andrew Cookson (10th)
TUESDAY 4/11: Mr. Bob Bird, father of one of our Board Members, gave a fascinating talk about the Shroud of Turin after Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. The two hour presentation included the display of a life-size replica of the Shroud. Thank you, Mr. Bird, for sharing your time and knowledge with us this Holy Week.
WEDNESDAY 4/12: The Upper School followed Special Schedule A. They enjoyed lunch all together and had a short choir rehearsal before an All-School Seminar in which the students discussed Kurt Vonnegut’s short story, “Harrison Bergeron” in mixed-grade groups. Thank you to Mr. Welsh, Mr. Klotz, Mr. Mason, and Mrs. Shoop for leading these seminar discussions.
WEDNESDAY 4/12: 5th Grade held a Seder Supper in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library in the afternoon. Thank you, Mrs. Williams, for organizing such a beautiful and meaningful lesson about this Passover tradition.
THURSDAY-MONDAY 4/13-17: NO SCHOOL – Have a blessed Holy Week and Happy Easter.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 4/17: NO SCHOOL FOR EASTER MONDAY
TUESDAY 4/18: Morning Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall, 8:00 a.m.
TUESDAY 4/18: 5th Grade will be off campus much of the day for a field trip to the Alaska Native Heritage Center.
TUESDAY 4/18: Lower School Mass in the JPII Chapel w/Fr. Brosamer at 2:15 p.m.
THURSDAY 4/20: Kindergarten will have graduation photos taken. Fliers were sent home with students on Wednesday. Parents can order photo packages from Lifetouch after they receive the preview samples later in April.
THURSDAY 4/20: 1st Grade will go on a field trip to the Alaska Performing Arts Center to see “The Tree and the Donkey Who Loved to Sing.”
THURSDAY 4/20: Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY 4/20: U.S. Senator, Dan Sullivan, will be visiting the campus to meet and speak with students in the mid-morning.
THURSDAY 4/20: Mid-Quarter Progress Reports will go home with your children at the end of the day. Please sign and return your child’s progress report to your child’s teacher by the end of the following week, Friday, April 28th.
FRIDAY 4/21: GREEK & ROMAN FESTIVAL – Carnival events will take place around the campus throughout the day. Parents and friends are encouraged to join us for the fun!
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- 3rd-6th Grade SCANTRON Testing will take place April 24th-28th.
- & Sr. Theses will be presented the week of April 25th-28th.
- 2nd, 7th & 8th Grade SCANTRON Testing will take place May 1st, 3rd, & 4th.
- The Festival of Poetry & Song will be on Friday, May 5th at 7:00 p.m. in the Deacons Hall at St. Patrick’s Church.
- Upper School Prom at the Sheraton Hotel downtown on Saturday, May 6th from 7-11 p.m.
- 12th Grade Exams will take place in the St. Thomas Aquinas Library May 11th & 12th.
- 7th-11th Grade Exams will take place on May 15th & 16th.
- 12th Grade Baccalaureate Mass & Reception – Tuesday, May 16th at Holy Family Cathedral
- 12th Grade Graduation Mass and Ceremonies – Noon, Wednesday, May 17th at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral. All students, faculty and staff will attend the graduation. Students must be picked up at OLG by 3:30 p.m. There will be no After School Care on this day.
- K-6th Grade Field Day at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral on Thursday, May 18th
- 7th-12th Grade Field Trip on Thursday, May 18th
- 6th & 8th Grade Graduation Ceremony and Reception Thursday, May 18th at 7:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
- End of Year Awards Ceremony & Kindergarten Graduation Friday, May 18th
- End of Year BBQ Friday, May 18th with 1:00 p.m. dismissal. There will be no After School Care on this day.