Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Be sure to re-enroll your child for the 2018-19 school year, if you have not already done so. – ENROLLMENT DEADLINES:
- The deadline for Financial Assistance Applications is Tuesday, May 15th.
- Preference for returning students will also end on Tuesday, May 15th. After this date, we cannot give priority to returning students over new students who apply.
- NEEDED: Part-Time Night Care for Fr. Fisher, retired Catholic Priest. No heavy work involved. Compensation & hours – NEGOTIABLE. Call Fr. Fisher at 522-3725
- UPDATE SHARE HOUR ENTRIES – As we come to the end of the school year, we want to make sure that everyone meets their Share Hour Expectation. Login to Sycamore and make sure that all of your Share Hours have been entered. Please call the Front Office if your approved Share Hours do not match your personal records. All Share Hours must be completed by June 30th, 2018 or you will be billed for uncompleted hours.
- Register with Schoolbelles to receive emails about all the sales on uniform items this summer! Our uniform suppliers put different items on sale every month. Use this link to register and stay up to date on all the great deals from our uniform supplier: com/register
- Campus Allergies – The school has been deeply affected by allergens this semester. We have been trying to make the campus a safe and comfortable place for all members of the student body and staff.
- We ask that people do not bring the following items on campus at all for the rest of the year: Latex; lilies; and paint of any kind.
- We also need to be sure to keep peanuts away from the 2nd Grade class.
- We have also had students discover previously unknown allergies this year. Please log into Sycamore and make sure your child’s medical information is up to date.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mrs. Cookson for subbing in 4th Grade on Tuesday afternoon.
- Thank you to Miss Ramos (’13) for subbing in 4th Grade on Tuesday morning.
- Thank you to Miss Therese Knox (’16) for subbing in 3rd Grade on Tuesday and the Front Office on Wednesday morning.
- Thank you to Mr. Taylor for helping with Elementary Music supervision on Thursday.
- Indoor Soccer for 5th-8th Grades played in the State rally games after the completion of the regular season. The first game was a “Big win against Faith Lutheran”, 6-0. Emma Cookson (8th), Jonas Knox (8th), and Paul Knox (5th) all scored goals. “Stellar defense” was provided by Fernanda Cedillo-Rendon (7th), Earthen Le (6th), and Aodhan Nakada (5th). The second game was a 1-7 loss against Lumen Christi. Goalie, Dalton Smith (5th), was the team’s undeclared MVP, saving MANY more goals than slipped past him.
*Special thanks to Angel Beaty (9th) for her report on the games.
- Track practices are well underway for grades 5-12. Students are training at the West High School track after school at 3:45 p.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Our first track meet is this weekend. Go, Knights!
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 4/16: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- It is so pleasant to get up in the morning and get ready for school in the daylight and sunshine.
- The Board of Trustees received a gift to the school that was given in Miss Neumayr’s name. A piece of our Holy Mother Mary’s house of Loreto is a 3rd Class relic that will be placed in the JPII Chapel next to the relic of St. Pope Pius X. Please pray for Miss Neumayr when you see it in the chapel.
- Congratulations to Kaili Manuel (3rd) who celebrated her First Communion at St. Benedict parish on April 15th.
- After a preview of the week to come, students sang happy birthday for students celebrating this week.
MONDAY 4/16: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 8th Grade Theology class and discussed the foundations of moral theology with them.
TUESDAY 4/17: Fr. Arthur Roraff presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Roraff. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
Altar Servers: Stephen Hart (6th), Gregory Biegel (5th), Carlos Stevens (5th)
Prayer Leader: Mason Nguyen (6th)
1st Reading: Jadyn Hill (6th)
Responsorial Psalm: Amarisa Manuel (6th)
Petitions: Andy Duryea (6th)
WEDNESDAY 4/18: Everyone enjoyed the last Pizza Day of the year. Thank you to our Pizza Moms: Ms. Brookwell, Mrs. Rendon, and Mrs. Fouch.
WEDNESDAY 4/18: Grades 1-6 went to The Dome in the afternoon for the annual timed run which is part of the Principal’s Physical Fitness Challenge (which replaces the President’s Fitness Challenge now that the national program has been canceled). Thank you to Mr. Taylor and HRA parent, Mr. Patrick Murray, for driving the buses. Thank you, also, to our hardworking P.E. teachers, Mrs. Pearce and Mr. Eidem, who organized this fun and challenging event for the students.
THURSDAY 4/19: Fr. Steven Maekawa, O.P. presided over the All-School Mass in St. Dominic’s Hall. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
Altar Servers: Christian Bolin (7th)
Cantor: John Lastimoso (11th)
Reader: Macklen Bell (10th)
FRIDAY 4/20: It was great to have everyone here for the Greek & Roman Festival! There were so many parents and alumni and special guests visiting for the skits, games, and fantastic food. Our student MC, Carly Syren (11th), hosted us through Kindergarten’s performance of “King Midas and the Golden Touch”, 6th Grade’s interpretation of ”Medusa’s Bad Hair Day”, and the High School’s student-directed skits: “Athena and Poseidon”, “Lost in the Labyrinth”, “The Golden Touch”, and “Hercules and the Battle with Death”. 1st & 4th Grades teamed up to lead outdoor games of bocce and badminton, etc. The 2nd Grade taught and performed a traditional Greek folk dance called the Hasapiko. It was amazing to see that anyone who visited “Demeter’s Fine Dining” in the 3rd Grade room had any room left to eat lunch. 5th Grade stationed themselves in the science lab to games of “Sink the Trireme” and “Poke His Eye Out” (a game of pin-the-tale-on-the-cyclops). Jr. High was divided between running the “Olympic Dash” foot races and the board game room next door to the “Minotaur’s Labyrinth” run by the High School Greek I class and the Seniors. The Latin I class organized an even more over-the-top “Vesuvius Eruption” game this year with over 50 Papier Mache volcanoes for people to decorate and blast. Special thanks to Mrs. Carlson for organizing the potluck volunteers, including Mrs. Cedillo, Mrs. Reyes, Mrs. Nakada, Mrs. Mairura, Mrs. Grandel, Mrs. Bratulescu, and so many more parents than we could track throughout the day. Thank you all!
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 4/23: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 4/23: The Upper School will follow Special Schedule A and watch the Junior Thesis Defenses in the afternoon in St. Dominic’s Hall from 1-3 p.m.: Alexander O’Neill, Andrew Cookson, and Felicity Hart. Parents are welcome to attend.
MONDAY 4/23: Senior Thesis Defenses in St. Dominic’s Hall, 4-6 p.m.: Atlin Bell and Michael Lucas. Parents, students, and friends are welcome to attend.
TUESDAY 4/24: K-6 Mass in the JPII Chapel, 2:15 p.m. with Fr. Brosamer
TUESDAY 4/24: The Upper School will follow a Mary Schedule and watch the Junior Thesis Defenses in the afternoon in St. Dominic’s Hall from 1-3 p.m.: Joseph Bjelland and John Lastimoso. Parents are welcome to attend.
TUESDAY 4/24: Senior Thesis Defenses in St. Dominic’s Hall, 4-6 p.m.: Gabi Holder and Sam Jemmings. Parents, students, and friends are welcome to attend.
WEDNESDAY 4/25: The Upper School will follow a Joseph Schedule and watch the Junior Thesis Defenses in the afternoon in St. Dominic’s Hall from 1-3 p.m.: Isabella van Tets, Carly Syren, and Jacinta Grandel. Parents are welcome to attend.
WEDNESDAY 4/25: Senior Thesis Defenses in St. Dominic’s Hall, 4-6 p.m.: Ciara McMorrow and Hanna Massell. Parents, students, and friends are welcome to attend.
THURSDAY 4/26: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. visiting 1st Grade
THURSDAY 4/26: Upper School Confession for 9th & 10th Grade (since the Dominicans were not able to hear Confessions for the last two weeks).
THURSDAY 4/26: 7-12 Mass in the JPII Chapel, 9:45 a.m.
THURSDAY 4/26: The Upper School will follow a Mary Schedule and watch the Junior Thesis Defenses in the afternoon in St. Dominic’s Hall from 1-3 p.m.: Thomas Biegel and Savio Le. Parents are welcome to attend.
THURSDAY 4/26: Senior Thesis Defenses in St. Dominic’s Hall, 4-6 p.m.: Stephen Woyte and Lael Droege. Parents, students, and friends are welcome to attend.
FRIDAY 4/20: The Upper School will follow a Joseph Schedule and watch the Senior Thesis Defenses in the afternoon in St. Dominic’s Hall from 1-3 p.m.: Forrest Rose and Juliana Biegel. Parents are welcome to attend.
FRIDAY 4/20: Senior Thesis Defenses in St. Dominic’s Hall, 4-6 p.m.: Drew Benton and Jon Syren. Parents, students, and friends are welcome to attend.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- May Crowning, Tuesday, May 1st at 2:00 p.m. – The event will be outside or in St. Dominic’s Hall based on the weather that day.
- Festival of Poetry & Song, Friday, May 4th in St. Patrick’s Deacons Hall, 7 p.m. – Students should arrive at 6:30 p.m.
- Upper School Prom on Saturday, May 5th at the Sheraton Hotel downtown, 7 p.m.
- Enrollment Recruiting Open House, Wednesday, May 9th, 5-8 p.m.
- Friday, May 11th – The High School Drama Club performance of Agatha Christi’s And Then There Were None!
- HRA Art Show – St. Dominic’s Hall will be open from 3-4:30 p.m. to display K-12 student art projects. The art will remain on display the following week during normal school hours.
- Senior Baccalaureate Mass on Tuesday, May 22nd at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church.
- High School Graduation – All Grades will attend the High School Graduation on Wednesday, May 23rd at 9:00 a.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. Students will be dropped off at OLG rather than HRA in the morning in preparation for the Mass and graduation ceremony. Students will be picked up from OLG at 1:00 p.m. after the graduation. THERE WILL BE NO AFTER SCHOOL CARE on graduation day.
- 6th & 8th Grade Graduation in St. Dominic’s Hall at 7:00 p.m.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: The Mission of the Laity – That the lay faithful may fulfill their specific mission, by responding with creativity to the challenges that face the world today.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- The Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- Fr. A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- The Taylor family
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Mara El-Khoury
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
- Curran (HRA Athletic Director) in the hospital over Easter
- Jason Wright (Upper School parent) having shoulder surgery
Expectant Mothers :
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
- Katy Morrison
- Mara El-Khoury (alumna)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda) & baby Agnes Margaret (born 3/24/18)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) & baby Milo (born 3/26/18)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader) & baby Nashala
- Fleming’s son, daughter-in-law, and new granddaughter: Kylee Fleming
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
- Melissa Boodee (friend of Mrs. O’Neill & Mrs. Williams), diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Disease
- Bill Hallam (great uncle of a student), awaiting results from melanoma surgery
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Evangeline Julia (Mrs. Stromilov’s godmother’s mom)
- Rita Droege (grandmother of Droege students), died March 25th.
- Mary Digney (former owner of the McMac Shoppe, long-time school neighbor & benefactor, and friend to Miss Therese Syren)