Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- We are still in need of someone to fill the position of Secretary of the HRA Parent Association. Please contact Miss Neumayr if you are willing to help in this way.
- HRA is in need of particular auction/donation assistance:
- Miles for two round trip airline tickets (Further donations will help bring Domincan Friars to our High School Retreat.)
- Time Share accommodations (fulfills auction obligation)
- Auction Table sponsorship (fulfills auction obligation)
- Donation of new electronics
- Donation of oysters (for a catered event)
- Raffle Tickets are available in the HRA Front Office. Make sure to sign-out your raffle tickets as soon as possible.
- You are invited to participate in the 2017 Rosary Rally following the 9:00 a.m. Mass in the Holy Family Cathedral’s Outdoor Grotto. The Rosary Rally begins at 9:45 .m. with Archbishop Etienne as guest speaker. Please join in praying for peace in the world and the salvation of souls. For more information, contact the Legion of Mary at 242-2908. (*This event happens at the same time as the HRA Auction set-up.)
- The HRA Band begins practices this Monday, September 18th from 3:20-4:20 p.m. in the St. Cecilia Music Room! All interested students, Grades 3-12 are welcome to join the HRA Band.
- Miss Neumayr will be out of town until Wednesday, September 20th.
- Miss Hanna Massell (12th) is a willing babysitter for families who can provide transportation. To contact her, please send a Pass-A-Note to the 2nd Grade teacher, Miss Massell (her older sister).
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- HRA parent, Drew Koop, has recently been diagnosed with cancer. The family asks for your prayers for his health and recovery. They note that they do not need any other assistance at this time.
- Thank you to Leinon for subbing in 5th Grade while Mrs. Williams was out sick.
- Thank you to Miss Neumayr and Miss Ramos for subbing for subbing Kindergarten P.E. and Mr. Eidem for teaching all the other P.E. and Elementary Art classes while Mrs. Pearce was out sick.
- Thank you to Hodel for subbing American Seminar while Miss Neumayr is out of town.
- Both the Middle School and High School teams lost to SuValley on Tuesday, September 12, but the players continue to improve.
- The High School team tied Cook Inlet Academy in a great game on Saturday, September 16th. Go Knights!
- The Middle School team beat Anchor Lutheran (3-1) on Friday, September 15th. Go Knights!
- Up-coming soccer games:
- Middle School – 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 19 at Kincaid Park; 4:00 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 21 at Kincaid Park; 2:00 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 23 at SuValley
- High School – 6:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 18 at Kincaid Park; 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 19 at Kincaid Park; 5:15 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 21 at Kincaid Park; 3:45 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 23 at SuValley
- Co-ed Jr. High Basketball sign-ups start on Monday, October 2nd!
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 9/11: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- It was the 16th anniversary of the 9/11 attack on New York and Washington D.C. There was a brief reflection and request for prayers for the souls of those who lost their lives either as victims or by trying to rescue others.
- Prayer request for all the victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
- Archbishop Etienne received his Pallium from Rome last weekend at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral. Miss Neumayr read a description of the history and symbolism of the pallium. (Photographs have been posted on the bulletin board in the Kolbe Lobby.)
- Shannon Dixon (3rd) took 1st Place in two areas of her barrel racing championship last weekend. Part of her prize includes a bridle and a buckle. Congratulations!
TUESDAY 9/12: Fr. Brosamer presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Bolin. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Nicolas Gonzalez (6th) & Earthen Le (6th)
- Readers: Isaac Grandel (6th) & Amarisa Manuel (6th)
WEDNESDAY 9/13: We enjoyed a great turn-out for the new format of the Elementary Back-to-School Night. The 3-5 p.m. schedule was very popular with families and the teachers were very happy to meet more of their class parents.
WEDNESDAY 9/13: The Upper School also enjoyed sizable parent attendance for their Back-to-School Night in which the parents walked through ten minute classes in a simulation of their children’s class schedule. Teachers provided syllabi, books, and sample work in order to provide parents with a better understanding of each academic course.
THURSDAY 9/14: Fr. Christopher Brannon O.P. presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel for the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. In honor of the feast day, Fr. Christopher and Br. Joshua brought a relic of the True Cross to school for veneration after Mass. Thank you, Fr. Christopher. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: John Lastimoso (11th)
- Readers: Gary Holder (9th), Mitchell Marquez (9th), Collin Wright (9th)
- Cantor: Walters
THURSDAY 9/14: Fr. Christopher returned with the relic of the True Cross in the afternoon to speak to the 3rd-6th Grades in the JPII Chapel about the history of the relic and the difference between veneration and worship. Thank you, Fr. Christopher.
FRIDAY 9/15: 2nd Grade Retreat – The Second Grade had a wonderful retreat at Holy Family Cathedral led by our new Retreat Coordinator, Marisa Ramos (’13).
FRIDAY 9/15: The Upper School followed the Mary Schedule spent the afternoon on Community Service projects on campus and around Anchorage. Thank you to parent volunteers: Mrs. Bohne, Mrs. Bolin, Mrs. Grandel, and Mr. & Mrs. Bratulescu for helping as parent drivers and chaperones for community service projects. Various groups of students went to Bean’s Café, Serendipity Adult Day Care, Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral, and St. Patrick’s Catholic Church as well as providing campus stewardship by doing yard work, sanitizing the indoor campus features, cleaning out the chapel basement, sweeping the parking lots, taking old furniture and other cast-off items to Goodwill, making rosaries, and working with 1st and 3rd grade students on their reading. Everyone worked very hard. We are very proud of them.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 9/18: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 9/18: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will visit the Kindergarten class in the morning as part of their religion studies this week, since he was on retreat last week.
MONDAY 9/18: HRA Band practice, 3:20-4:20 p.m. in St. Cecilia Music Room.
TUESDAY 9/19: There will be a Faculty Appreciation Luncheon from 11:00-1:00 p.m. Please contact Mrs. Shivani Tiwari or Mrs. Carole Hart (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to contribute a dish or help with this activity.
TUESDAY 9/19: Auction Committee meeting at 8:00 a.m. in the Kolbe Bldg.
WEDNESDAY 9/20: Faculty Meeting at 3:30 p.m.
THURSDAY 9/21: All School Mass with Archbishop Etienne in St. Dominic’s Hall at 9:00 a.m.
FRIDAY 9/22: Krispy Kreme pre-order forms due! Students may return them to their teachers. Parents may turn them in to the Front Office.
FRIDAY 9/22: 3rd Grade Retreat – 3rd Grade will go on retreat to Holy Family Cathedral for the day.
FRIDAY 9/22: Upper School Joseph Schedule – Students will attend a round Robin of dance lessons featuring waltz, swing, and Virginia reel.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Parent Association Fundraiser – The HRA Parent Association will sponsor a Krispy Kreme Doughnut sale on Thursday, September 28th. Pre-order forms are available in the HRA Front Office
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday, October 9th in observance of Columbus Day.
- Grades 9-11 will take the PSAT in St. Dominic’s Hall, 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- HRA Auction Gala – Saturday, October 14th at the downtown Marriott Hotel
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Parishes – That our parishes, animated by a missionary spirit, may be places where faith is communicated and charity is seen.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division, going to Afghanistan from September to June, (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- The Koop family as they experience health challenges
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- For the protection of all those living in the path of dangerous storms this hurricane season
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- The 21 year old Alaskan woman in Nevada who was injured in an accident.
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
Expectant Mothers :
- Kinney (former HRA teacher)
- Bird (used to live on campus)
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Shoop & Josiah
- Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)