Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The staffing in the Front Office will be thin this week. Miss Neumayr, Mr. Taylor, and Mrs. Furby will be off-campus throughout the week for event preparations. Everyone will be very conscientious about responding to messages. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
- Half-Day on Wednesday, May 23rd – Please make special arrangements on Graduation Day! Students should come directly to Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral at 8:00 a.m. for school that day and be picked-up at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral at 1:00 p.m. THERE WILL BE NO BEFORE SCHOOL CARE OR AFTER SCHOOL CARE ON WEDNESDAY, MAY 23RD.
- HRA Yearbooks are now available for order at the Front Office. Pre-paid yearbooks will be distributed on Thursday morning before we depart for Field Day. Remaining yearbooks can be purchased at the Front Office after Thursday, May 24th.
- Elementary Yearbooks are $30 each.
- Upper School Yearbooks are $50 each.
- K-12 Field Day Trip – This year, Grades K-12 will all enjoy a Field Day together at St. Therese’s Camp. We are riding chartered school buses to Wasilla for a day of bonding activities to celebrate the close of the school year. A digital permission slip is available if you need another copy. We are asking each family to contribute $20 to help defray the cost of the buses and use of St. Therese’s Camp. Since this expense is new to the Elementary families, please contact the Front Office if you have concerns about the cost.
- Potluck BBQ on the Last Day of School – Each grade is asked to contribute a particular kind of item to the potluck BBQ. The list is attached here as a pdf for your convenience. Please label your dishes and serving utensils before you drop off your potluck contributions on Friday morning. We want to make sure everyone gets their correct dishes back at the end of the day.
- DESPERATELY NEEDED:
Part-Time Night Care for Fr. Fisher, retired Catholic Priest. No heavy work involved. Compensation & hours – NEGOTIABLE. Call Fr. Fisher at 522-3725
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mr. Taylor for subbing in 3rd Grade for most of the day.
- Thank you to Mr. Eidem for subbing in 2nd Grade for much of the day.
- High School Track: HRA had an excellent showing at the SuValley Invitational Track meet last Saturday. Michael Lucas (12th) placed 2nd in High Jump, 1st in the 100 m Dash, 1st in the Triple Jump, 1st in the Long Jump. Atlin Bell (12th) placed 3rd in the Triple Jump, 5th in the 100 m Dash, 6th in the 200 m, and 8th in the Discus. Thomas Biegel (11th) placed 1st in the 800 m, 2nd in the Triple Jump, and 3rd in the 400 m. John Lastimoso (11th) placed 3rd in the 100m dash, 8th in the Discus, & 12th in the Long Jump. Christopher Knox (11th) tied for 6th in the 100 m Dash, placed 3rd in the 200 m, and 2nd in the 300 m Hurdles in his first track meet. Macklen Bell (10th) placed 6th in the Discus, 5th in the Shot Put, and 12th in the 100 m Dash. Go, Knights!
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 5/14: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- The school year is quickly coming to a close. Make sure to stay attentive in class and do well to the end.
- We celebrated the Feast of the Ascension last weekend, a very special time in the Liturgical Year.
- HRA celebrates Teacher Appreciation this week while the nation celebrated last week.
- We welcome our last shadow students this week. There will be no shadowing during the last week of school.
- Congratulations to Grace Woyte (10th) who was Confirmed last week at St. Andrew and Thomas Biegel (11th) who was Confirmed at St Elizabeth Ann Seton.
- Congratulations to Ben Lincoln (2nd) who received his First Communion last weekend.
- Congratulations to our HS Drama Club for an excellent performance of Agatha Christi’s And Then There Were None last Friday evening. Miss Neumayr has asked them to arrange another showing at the beginning of summer vacation. We will announce more information as we have it.
- Miss Neumayr announced the progress of her safari plans. She thanks everyone again for the trip to Kenya she will take in early September.
- Miss Neumayr presented our Geography Bee, Cameron Dixon (5th), with a small leather-bound World Atlas that was a part of her own book collection that she rediscovered during her preparations to move back to California.
- The 5th & 6th Grade retreat last week was wet but wonderful. Thank you to Miss Ramos, Mrs. Williams, and Mrs. O’Neill for arranging the spring retreat for the students.
- Thank you to Walters for the four Art History presentations this year. The final one was last Friday.
TUESDAY 5/15: Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. visited the 3rd Grade class for his last Elementary theology visit.
TUESDAY 5/15: Fr. Patrick Brosamer presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
Altar Servers: Stephen Hart (6th) Dalton Smith (5th) and Daniel Krol (5th)
Prayer Leader: Mason Nguyen (6th)
1st Reading: Isaac Grandel (6th)
Psalm: Jadyn Hill (6th)
Petitions: Andy Duryea (6th)
THURSDAY 5/17: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. heard Confessions for 9th & 10th Grades before Mass.
THURSDAY 5/17: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
Altar Server: Mikael Hilario (8th)
Cantor: Jon Syren (12th)
Reader: Macklen Bell (10th)
Petitions: Paige Bolin (10th)
THURSDAY 5/17: Kindergarten, 1st Grade, & 2nd Grade went on a field trip to the Alaska Botanical Garden. Each student brought back a small potted Brussel sprout plant as a living souvenir. Thank you to Mrs. Stramilov, Miss Verreux, and Miss Massell for organizing the trip. Thank you to our parent drivers and chaperones: Mr. Patton, Ms. Brookwell, Mrs. Lincoln, Mr. & Mrs. Nabong, and Mrs. Meyer.
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 5/17-18: Seniors took their final exams in the library for their final days of school at HRA. Congratulations to all of them for completing their schooling at HRA.
FRIDAY 5/18: 4th Grade Spring Mini-Retreat – Br. Joshua Gatus O.P. led the 4th Grade students in prayers and reflections for an on-campus mini-retreat for the morning. Thank you to Mrs. Welsh and Br. Joshua for organizing this activity for the students.
FRIDAY 5/18: The Upper School followed a Joseph Schedule with campus stewardship in the afternoon as several students helped the Art Teachers prepare for the Art Show after school. Other students labored on various campus projects such as inserting the Mass prayers into the flyleaves of the hymnals, sweeping the gravel from the parking lots, and cleaning the inside of the buses. Thank you to all the Upper School students & teachers for working so hard and to our parent volunteers, Ms. Butler and Mrs. Broek.
FRIDAY 5/18: 1st Grade delivered over 300 cans of food that they collected this year to FISH Food Pantry. Thank you to Mr. Taylor for driving the bus for this trip.
FRIDAY 5/18: The HRA Art Show – Dr. Walters, Mr. Eidem, Miss Mezzetti, and Mrs. Pearce have converted St. Dominic’s Hall into an art gallery full of student work from Grades K-12. The art show was open from 3:15-5:00 p.m. featuring tables of statuary in the center of the Hall and a variety of paintings and drawings displayed on walls, windows, and display boards around the hall. Artwork included self-portraits, still-life, mirror drawings, geometric designs, ornamented calligraphy, clay imprints, apple dolls, abstract splatter paintings and many more. Drawings and paintings will remain on display in St. Dominic’s Hall for the first half of next week while some of the sculpture will go on display in the St. Bosco Hallway. Come see the artwork before students take it home on Tuesday afternoon.
THE WEEK AHEAD
MONDAY 5/21: Morning Assembly, 8:00 in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 5/21: Upper School Exam Schedule –
- 8:00 – 8:25 Assembly
- 8:25 – 9:55 Exam for Period 1
- 9:58 – 10:07 Homeroom
- 10:10 11:40 Exam for Period 2
- 11:40 – 12:30 7th-12th Lunch (in Bosco)
- 12:40 – 2:10 Exam for Period 3
- 2:20 – 3:10 7th-12th Choir w/Mrs. Kinder
MONDAY 5/21: 6th Grade service field trip to Serendipity Adult Day Care Center
TUESDAY 5/22: Upper School Exam Schedule –
- 8:00 – 8:05 Morning Prayer in Period 4
- 8:05 – 9:35 Exam for Period 4
- 9:38 – 10:07 Homeroom
- 10:10 – 11:40 Exam for Period 5
- 11:40 – 12:40 Lunch in St. Bosco w/ recess on the playground
- 12:40 – 2:10 Exam for Period 6
- 2:20 – 3:10 locker & classroom cleaning
TUESDAY 5/22: Senior Baccalaureate Mass – We begin to celebrate the Seniors’ graduation with a Baccalaureate Mass at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church. All HRA friends and family are welcome to join us for the Mass at 6:30 p.m. (The time on the printed wall calendars is incorrect.) There will be a private dinner reception after the Mass for invited guests.
WEDNESDAY 5/23: Senior Graduation Mass & Ceremony – All Grades will attend the High School Graduation Mass at 9:00 a.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. Students will be dropped off at OLG rather than HRA in the morning in preparation for the Mass and graduation ceremony. Students will be picked up from OLG at 1:00 p.m. after the graduation. THERE WILL BE NO AFTER SCHOOL CARE on graduation day.
THURSDAY 5/24: K-12 Field Trip to St. Therese’s Camp – See the note above and the link to the permission slip for full details.
THURSDAY 5/24: 6th & 8th Grade Graduation & reception in St. Dominic’s Hall, 7:00 p.m.
FRIDAY 5/25: Academic Awards Assembly in St. Dominic’s Hall, 9:00-10:45 a.m.
FRIDAY 5/25: End of Year Potluck BBQ on St. Sebastian Playground and in St. Dominic’s Hall, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. STUDENTS ARE DISMISSED AT 1:00 P.M. There will be no After School Care because of the early dismissal.
- There will be a Farewell Mass and potluck for Miss Neumayr on Thursday, July 12th at 6:00 p.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. All are invited to attend. Please contact Maureen Klump if you would like to help with the planning and set-up of this event.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Evangelization: The Mission of the Laity – That the lay faithful may fulfill their specific mission, by responding with creativity to the challenges that face the world today.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- For all young adults to find their vocations, their life’s work, and commit to it with joy
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of school shootings
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- The Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- The Taylor family
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- Neil Holder
- The Holder family
- Tish Brush, mother of one of our substitute teachers, Mrs. Leinon
- Geiermann, Sr. (father of a school Trustee) recovering from a serious surgical procedure
- Cookson, speedy recovery
- Drew Koop (Upper School parent) this week as he faced more treatment for cancer that has aggressively returned after his last round of therapy.
- Arianna Fouch (alumna) recovering from surgery on her foot
Expectant Mothers :
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
- Katy Morrison
- Mara El-Khoury (alumna)
- Tyler (Geiermann) Janowski (alumna)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda) & baby Agnes Margaret (born 3/24/18)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) & baby Milo (born 3/26/18)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader) & baby Nashala
- Fleming’s son, daughter-in-law, and new granddaughter: Kylee Fleming
- Cecilia (Pearce) Lott (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) and baby Ledger Lott
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather), for peace living with advancing dementia, relief from symptoms of his heart condition, and continue to bless and guide his caregivers.
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- Yosef Furmansky (step-grandfather of a student) struggling with Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
- Tanyos El Khoury (son of alumni) diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Evangeline Julia (Mrs. Stromilov’s godmother’s mom)
- Rita Droege (grandmother of Droege students), died March 25th.
- Mary Digney (former owner of the McMac Shoppe, long-time school neighbor & benefactor, and friend to Miss Therese Syren)
- Carlos (friend of the Currans)
- Robert David Helzer (great-grandfather of a student)