Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The Potluck Flier with assignments for which grade should bring what for the End of Year BBQ can be found on the Documents tab of Sycamore. A paper flier will also go home on Monday.
- Yearbooks are on sale! Lower School Yearbooks can be purchased for $35.00 and Upper School Yearbooks can be purchased for $55.00 in the Front Office. All yearbooks will be distributed at the end of the week.
- The Yale Whiffenpoofs, featuring HRA 2013 graduate Michael Tappel, will be performing at St. Patrick Church at7:00pm on Thursday, May 25th. The Whiffenpoofs are the nation’s oldest collegiate a cappella group, and perform in over 250 concerts in 20+ countries annually. They are thrilled to be visiting Alaska for the first time in the group’s history. Tickets can be purchased online through the Whiffenpoofs’ website, www.whiffenpoofs.com.
- Archbishop Etienne is sponsoring a Golf Tournament for seminarian education on June 7th. Sponsorship information is available through Laurie Evans-Dinneen at email@example.com or (907)297-7789. (Sponsorship forms are attached to this email.)
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to the Parent Association for their Teacher Appreciation gifts over the past week.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 5/8: Miss Neumayr made the following announcements at the Morning Assembly:
- HRA let Holy Family Cathedral borrow the statue of Our Lady of Grade that is normally in St. Dominic’s Hall.
- Our gratitude goes out to Eric Bjelland (12th) for leading the prayers and Pledge of Allegiance at the assemblies this year.
- Congratulations to the following First Communicants from SEAS: Shannon Dixon, Monica Broek, and Gaius Carlson.
- Congratulations to our new Confirmandi: Atlin Bell, Ciara McMorrow, and Drew Benton, (St. Benedicts), Felicity Hart, Isabella van Tets, and Stephen Siebs (Holy Family Cathedral), Andrew Cookson and Alex O’Neill (St. Andrew)
- HRA Track: Both Verity Pendergast (5th) and Luke O’Hanley (7th) performed well at the Anchor Lutheran JV track meet. (We are always in need of help with results from sporting events. If you have news on track or other sporting events, please contact the Front Office.) Go Knights!
MONDAY 5/8: Michael Lucas delivered his Junior Thesis Defense to the High School in St. Dominic’s Hall, addressing the question, Whether one is obligated to keep a promise even if it causes evil to someone.
TUESDAY 5/9: Fr. Brosamer said Mass for the Lower School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We also thank the following students for their assistance at Mass:
- Servers: Joshua Fouch (6th) and Earthen Le (5th)
- Readers: Maria Koop (6th) and Alena Kelley (6th)
WEDNESDAY 5/10: Each of the grades sang a Salve Regina in prayer for the repose of the soul of former benefactor, Vern Hickel.
THURSDAY 5/11: First Grade went to the Court House in the morning, followed by a visit to FISH Food Pantry in the afternoon. We would like to thank parent volunteer, Ms. Brookwell, for her assistance in organizing the visit to the court house.
THURSDAY 5/11: Second Grade enjoyed a visit to the Campbell Creek Science Center. Thank you to parent volunteer, Mr. Murray, for driving the bus.
THURSDAY 5/11: Fr. Manzano said Mass for the Upper School in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Manzano. We also thank the following students for their assistance at Mass:
- Servers: Mikael Hilario (7th)
- Readers: Jacinta Grandel (10th) and Grace Woyte (9th)
FRIDAY 5/12: Upper School Joseph Schedule with Community Service in the afternoon – Students spent the afternoon performing acts of service, including visits to Clare House, FISH Food Pantry, Serendipity Adult Day Care Center, the Pioneer Home, and campus stewardship. We would like to thank parent volunteers, Mrs. Bohne and Mr. Murray, driving students to the Pioneer Home and Serendipity Adult Day Center as part of the community service activities.
FRIDAY 5/12: The 1st-6th Grades watched a film about Our Lady of Fatima in the St. Cecilia Music Room and then said a rosary in the JPII Chapel together to honor the 100th anniversary of the visitation of Our Lady to the three children at Fatima.
FRIDAY 5/12: Thank you to everyone who visited the HRA Student Art Show in St. Dominic’s Hall. The artwork is so charming the we have kept much of it on display for the Assembly on Monday morning. Student sculptures have been returned to the display shelves in the Bosco hallway. We would like to thank everyone who helped put the event together: Dr. Walters, Mrs. Pearce, Miss DiCiero, Mr. Eidem, Jon Syren (11th), Peter Anderson (10th), John Lastimoso (10th), Savio Le (10th), Alexander O’Neill (10th), Cate Droege (9th), Ashley Stepehens (9th), Grace Woyte (9th), Angel Beaty (8th), Mimii Nguyen (8th), Amber Salvador (8th), and Emma Cookson (7th).
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 5/15: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 5/15: Upper School final exams for periods 1, 2, and 3.
MONDAY-WEDNESDAY 5/15-17: Elementary finals (formerly called the Core Knowledge Tests)
TUESDAY 5/16: Upper School final exams for periods 4, 5, and 6.
TUESDAY 5/16: Baccalaureate Mass & Reception –The Mass with Archbishop Etienne begins at 6:00 p.m. at Holy Family Cathedral. The Reception for the graduating seniors and invited family and guests will follow directly after the Mass in the hall below the Cathedral. All members of the Holy Rosary Academy community are invited to the Mass.
WEDNESDAY 5/17: Student Slide Show to commemorate the end of the school year at 10:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
WEDNESDAY 5/17: High School Graduation – All students will be transported to Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral for the Graduation Mass at noon. The High School Graduation ceremony will follow in the Lunney Center. Students must be picked up from the church by 3:30 p.m. There will be no after school care on this day.
***SHARE HOUR OPPORTUNITY: We are in need of parent help transporting students to OLG before the Mass.***
THURSDAY 5/18: Lower School Field Day at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral. Students will be transported to OLG between 8:15 and 9:00 a.m. Students will return to HRA for the normal dismissal time.
***SHARE HOUR OPPORTUNITY: We are in need of parent help throughout this enjoyable daylong event. Please talk to your child’s teacher about how you can help.***
THURSDAY 5/18: Upper School Field Trip – Students will have Mass in the JPII Chapel at 8:15 a.m. and then depart for Eagle River by motor coach at 9:00 a.m. for a day of play at the Loretta French park and St. Theresa’s camp ground. Students will return at 4:00 p.m.
THURSDAY 5/18: 6th & 8th Grade Graduation – The ceremony will begin at 7:00 p.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall. There will be a brief reception following the graduation.
FRIDAY 5/19: Academic Awards Assembly – HRA family and friends are all invited to join us for the Awards Assembly at 9:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall.
FRIDAY 5/19: End-of-Year BBQ Potluck – Everyone is invited to the BBQ at 10:30 a.m. See the attached flier for potluck assignments.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- SHARE HOUR DEADLINE – All Share Hours must be completed by June 30th, 2017.
- Have a great summer!