Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- We have noticed some vehicles driving too fast in the school parking lots. Please remember to maintain a speed no greater than 10 mph in our parking lots. Thank you.
- HRA will have a Career Day in February. We are beginning to contact parents, inviting them to participate in Career Day and determine the best age group for their potential presentation.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Mrs. Lincoln for taking over the eScrip PA Fundraiser.
- Thank you to Mrs. Bolin for subbing in 5th Grade on Thursday.
RECRUIT ME! – Let faithful Catholic colleges you!
The Cardinal Newman Society, makers of the Newman Guide to Catholic colleges launching a new program to help Catholic families connect with faithful Catholic colleges. Just forward our Recruit Me link to the college bound high school junior or senior in your life. By signing up for Recruit Me, students also become eligible to enter the Newman Society Essay Contest for a chance to win a $5,000 scholarship to help pay for tuition at a Newman Guide college.
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling – Michael Lucas won the Anchorage Christian School Lime Solar Invite last weekend with 4-0 matches. The HRA wrestling team thanks everyone who attended the meet to show their support. Go Knights!
- The wrestling team competes at the Peninsula Duals in Nikiski November 10th-11th.
- The 5th-8th Grade Basketball Team defeated St. John’s 40-4 on Friday, November 3rd. Go Knights!
- The results of the basketball games on 11/7 vs. St. John and on 11/10 vs. Faith Lutheran will be reported at the next Assembly.
- Upcoming Basketball Games –
- The HRA Knights will play at Birchwood on Thursday, November 16th at 4:40 p.m.
- The HRA Knights will play at Anchor Lutheran on Friday, November 17th at 6:00 p.m.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 11/6: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Miss Neumayr thanked the students and teachers for a wonderful and holy week last week.
- The Thanksgiving Blessing canned vegetable drive ends on Friday, November 17th. Elementary students are collecting corn and the Upper School is collecting green beans. This annual unofficial competition has resulted in an Elementary victory in can collection for the last few years, but the Upper School is making an excellent show of it this November!
- Miss Neumayr spoke the school community about our intention to put more energy and joy into the hymns during Mass from now on.
MONDAY 11/6: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. observed the 11th Grade Morality class.
TUESDAY 11/7: Class Picture Day – Thank you to everyone for making this another successful Picture Day. HRA students continue to impress the photographers with their good behavior and efficiency at following directions. There is still time to order your child’s class picture. Contact Mrs. Furby in the Front Office for more information. Thank you to our parent volunteers, Mrs. Cagle and Mrs. Krol for assisting the photographers and keeping the classes on track as well as Mrs. Bolin, Mrs. Bohne, Mrs. Cagle, Mrs. Dixon, Mrs. Lincoln, and Mrs. Savok for supervising the hallways and classrooms in the morning before school while the teachers posed for a faculty photo.
TUESDAY 11/7: Fr. Brosamer presided over the Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Brosamer. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Servers: Isaac Grandel (6th) and Earthen Le (6th)
- Readers & Prayer Leader: Arabella Allen (6th), Stephen Hart (6th), Andy Duryea (6th), and Jennifer Lederhos (6th)
WEDNESDAY 11/8: HRA practiced a campus-wide Lockdown Drill to test our ability to react to a dangerous emergency. We are pleased to say that the students all know how to follow the school procedures and quietly follow their teachers’ directions in response to an unexpected situation.
THURSDAY 11/9: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. presided over the Upper School Mass in the JPII Chapel. Thank you, Fr. Dominic David. We would also like to thank those who helped with the Mass in particular ways:
- Altar Server: John Lastimoso (11th)
- Readers: Collin Wright (9th), Mitchell Marquez (9th) & Elena Biegel (10th)
- Cantor: Jacinta Grandel (11th)
FRIDAY 11/10: In-Service Day – The faculty met at Holy Family Cathedral for professional development while the students worked from home for the day. Thank you to Mrs. Bolin for cooking lunch for the faculty.
FRIDAY 11/10: While the teachers were off campus for In-Service training, the high school Drama class spent the whole day rehearsing their play, a one hour rendition of A Midsummer Nights’ Dream.
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 11/13: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 11/13: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will be observing the 10th Grade Church History class.
TUESDAY 11/14: Elementary Mass – 2:15 p.m. in the JPII Chapel with Fr. Whitney.
WEDNESDAY 11/15: Cardboard Boat Regatta – 5th, 6th, & 2nd Grades will go to the West High School swimming pool for a cardboard boat race between 5th Grade and 6th Grade.
WEDNESDAY 11/15: Pizza Day
THURSDAY 11/16-17: Jr. High Retreat – Jr. High will spend the school day in an on-campus retreat led by alumna, Miss Ramos (’13).
THURSDAY-FRIDAY 11/16-17: High School Retreat – Students and faculty chaperones will depart HRA for St. Theresa’s Camp in Wasilla, AK for an overnight retreat led by Fr. Gabiel Mosher O.P. and return to HRA at 5:00 p.m. on Friday.
FRIDAY 11/17: Jr. High Retreat – Students will spend the school day at St. Andrews Catholic Church in Eagle River, AK for a day of retreat led by Mr. & Mrs. Shoop.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Thursday-Friday, November 16th-17th: Upper School Retreats – High School students will go to St. Theresa’s Camp for an overnight retreat. High will have two days of retreat during school hours only.
- Thanksgiving holiday – There will be NO SCHOOL November 23rd & 24th.
- There will be a Rabbit Show in St. Dominic’s Hall on Saturday, December 2nd. Fliers will be distributed after Thanksgiving.
The Holy Father’s Prayer Intentions for November:
Christians in Asia.
That Christians in Asia, bearing witness to the Gospel in word and deed, may promote dialogue, peace, and mutual understanding, especially with those of other religions.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- The 21 year old Alaskan woman in Nevada who was injured in an accident.
- For the protection of all those living in the path of dangerous storms this hurricane season
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- Shelby Benton (HRA parent), recovering from gall bladder surgery
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Bird (former tenant) recovering from surgery
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goal keeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Therese Syren, recovering from surgery for a kidney stone
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Denzer (HRA parent)
- Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Shoop & Josiah
- Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)