Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the final week of school:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Summer Office Hours – 9:00 a.m. to noon, Monday–Friday, June 4-July 31
- NEED TO COMPLETE YOUR SHARE HOURS? – Families have until the end of June before they will be billed for uncompleted hours. We still have lots of projects on campus that need volunteers. Email HRAsharehours@gmail.com for information about Share Hour Opportunities.
- HRA Yearbooks are still available in the Front Office.
- Elementary Yearbooks – $30 each.
- Upper School Yearbooks – $50 each.
- DESPERATELY NEEDED:
Part-Time Night Care for Fr. Fisher, retired Catholic Priest. No heavy work involved. Compensation & hours – NEGOTIABLE. Call Fr. Fisher at 522-3725
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to Pendergast for subbing in Morning Care on Thursday.
- High School Track:
- Congratulations to the HS Track Team – The HRA Boys’ Team won the 2nd Place trophy for the Region II Championships two weeks ago. Michael Lucas (’18) took 1st Place in the 100m, 200m, Long Jump, & Triple Jump and was named the Track Athlete of the Year. All members of the Boys’ Team scored points that contributed toward earning the school’s 2nd Place trophy: Michael Lucas, John Lastimoso (11th), Atlin Bell (’18), Macklen Bell (10th), Thomas Biegel (11th), and Christopher Knox (11th). Go, Knights!
- The following students qualified for the state track meet: Michael Lucas (’18) – 100m, 200m, Long Jump, and Triple Jump; Juliana Biegel (’18) – High Jump; and Carly Syren (11th) – 400m. Go, Knights!
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 5/21: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr made the following announcements:
- Andrew Cookson (11th) led the Morning Prayers and Pledge since the seniors had completed their classes.
- Congratulations to Olive Brookwell (2nd) who received her First Holy Communion at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral on Sunday, May 20th.
- The Catholic Daughters of the Americas Pope Saint Pius X Chapter thanks the school for the use of St. Dominic’s Hall for their monthly meetings. They shared with Miss Neumayr that they are always so impressed with the students of Holy Rosary Academy.
- The school received a thank you note from Mrs. Caroline Bradshaw, a teacher at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, for the flowers HRA sent her upon the death of her husband earlier in the school year.
- Kevin Klump has invited all of the HRA community to his Deaconate Ordination at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral on Friday, June 8th at 7:00 p.m. In one more year, he will become the first HRA student to be ordained into the priesthood. There will also be Vespers at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 7th at Holy Family Cathedral.
- Congratulations to Laura Walters who was nominated as a BP Teacher of Excellence.
- Congratulations to Alexander O’Neill (11th) and Savio Le (11th) who both participated in the 9th District Court’s civics essay competition. Alexander placed second in the competition, earning a $500 prize. Savio placed 3rd and received $250.
- After a full preview of the week to come and acknowledging everyone with birthdays this week and over the summer, Miss Neumayr announced the names of our new Principal and Vice Principal. We are all very happy that our current 5th Grade teacher, Williams is our new Principal and one of our Upper School teachers, Mr. Welsh is our new Vice Principal.
MONDAY 5/21: The 6th Grade spent the morning at Serendipity Adult Day Center preparing their gardens for summer as a final community service project. Service has been a major theme for the 6th Grade this year.
MONDAY 5/21: The Upper School completed their final exams for math, classical language, and theology classes.
TUESDAY 5/22: The Upper School completed their final exams for composition, seminar, and science classes.
TUESDAY 5/22: The high school seniors started celebrating their graduation with a baccalaureate Mass and dinner. Look for a separate article on the graduation festivities to come later this week.
WEDNESDAY 2/23: Everyone spent the whole school day at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral for the High School Graduation Mass and ceremony. Look for a separate article on the graduation festivities to come later this week.
THURSDAY 5/24: Field Day – Grades K-12 loaded up on chartered school buses and headed out to St. Therese’s Camp in Wasilla for a day of outdoor activities in the sunshine. Upper School students enjoyed boating, hiking, and capture the flag while the Elementary students played team games until lunch. In the afternoon, all the students divided into Campus Friends groups for epic tug-o-war battles. Thank you to Mrs. Pearce, Mr. Eidem, Mr. Hodgson, and Mr. Welsh for organizing the Upper and Lower School activities. We also thank our parent and grandparent volunteer chaperones, Mrs. Clark and Mr. & Mrs. Bratulescu.
THURSDAY 5/24: In the evening, families and friends gathered in St. Dominic’s Hall to celebrate the 6th & 8th Grade Graduation. There were speeches from Miss Neumayr, Mr. Hodgson, Mrs. O’Neill, and our student speakers: Grace Ward (8th) and Andy Duryea (6th). Both students represented their classmates very well. After the conferral of Diplomas, everyone enjoyed desserts provided by Mrs. Patton and Mrs. Hart. Thank you to the parent volunteers who helped set-up St. Dominic’s Hall: Mrs. Patton, Mr. Beaty, and Mrs. Reyes.
FRIDAY 5/25: We are very proud of all our award winners this year. Look for a separate article on the Academic Awards Assembly to come later this week.
- There will be a Farewell Mass and potluck for Miss Neumayr on Thursday, July 12th at 6:00 p.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral. All are invited to attend. Please contact Maureen Klump if you would like to help with the planning and set-up of this event: 223-2120.
Holy Father’s Intentions:
Universal: Social Networks – That social networks may work towards that inclusiveness which respects others for their differences.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- For the special intentions of Fr. Dominic David on the occasion of the 5th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood.
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goalkeeper.
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- The Harmston family, special intentions
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), recovering from surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
- For the special intentions of Lisa Stephens (HRA parent) & family
- Walters has a cracked tailbone after a fall on the ice
- Victoria Leinon (godmother of an HRA student) having a difficult recovery after knee replacement surgery
- Therese Rhoter, wife of the founder of St. Augustine Academy (injured in CA mudslides, in stable condition but lost her husband)
- The St. Augustine Academy community who lost their friend and school founder, Roy Rhoter
- The Taylor family
- Max Hodel (HRA grandparent & former Trustee)
- The Holder family
- Geiermann, Sr. (father of a school Trustee) recovering from a serious surgical procedure
- Drew Koop (Upper School parent) this week as he faced more treatment for cancer that has aggressively returned after his last round of therapy.
Expectant Mothers :
- Oriele Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
- Melissa Montague (HRA parent)
- Theresa Bird
- Jane Nemcova (Miss Neumayr’s sister)
- Katy Morrison
- Mara El-Khoury (alumna)
- Tyler (Geiermann) Janowski (alumna)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Sarah Shoop & Josiah
- Alison Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Monica Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Elena Zolnick (sister of Trustee) and baby Gloria Maria
- Jessica Denzer (HRA parent) and baby Charles
- Maisie Klocek (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda) & baby Agnes Margaret (born 3/24/18)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) & baby Milo (born 3/26/18)
- Nayelin Esther Sosa De Los Santos (mother of a 1st grader) & baby Nashala
- Fleming’s son, daughter-in-law, and new granddaughter: Kylee Fleming
- Cecilia (Pearce) Lott (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) and baby Ledger Lott
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Drew Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather), for peace living with advancing dementia, relief from symptoms of his heart condition, and continue to bless and guide his caregivers.
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
- Nicole Sammons (mother of Rochelle)
- Marguerite Fusco (Miss Logsdail’s aunt)
- Vern Howey (Mrs. Welsh’s uncle, diagnosed with cancer)
- Stephen DiGiovanni (Miss Logsdail’s childhood pastor) who had a massive stroke on 2/15/2018
- David Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s uncle) fighting Derrick’s Disease and cancer
- Rose Teichert Grimm (longtime family friend of Miss Neumayr) diagnosed with a tumor
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Dawn Bennett, a friend of HRA
- Tim Rickert, a family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, a diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, a friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (the godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)
- Lorraine Lopez (grandmother of a former student, Jacob Lopez)
- Herbert Froesch (grandfather of a student, Ashley Stephens)
- Tathana Atanasoaie (sister-in-law of Mrs. Schirda)
- Diane Fleming (wife of Trustee)
- Sylvester Smith (SEAS parishioner & UAF student) hit by a car while helping a disabled vehicle
- Patricia Billimek (grandmother of Quinn Swanson)
- Steven C. Moore (former pastor of SEAS)
- Roy Rohter, founder of St. Augustine Academy of Ventura, CA (killed in the California mudslides)
- Charles Grove (father of a former teacher, Stan Grove)
- Zona Gail Brink (grandmother of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Michael Brent Smith (father of Mr. Furby’s co-worker)
- Evangeline Julia (Mrs. Stromilov’s godmother’s mom)
- Rita Droege (grandmother of Droege students), died March 25th.
- Mary Digney (former owner of the McMac Shoppe, long-time school neighbor & benefactor, and friend to Miss Therese Syren)
- Carlos (friend of the Currans)
- Robert David Helzer (great-grandfather of a student)