Here are some preliminary notes and reminders before the summary of the week behind and the week ahead:
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- CALENDAR REMINDER: The Christmas vacation is Thursday, Dec. 21 – Wednesday, Jan. 3. School resumes for HRA on Thursday, January 4th. Please alert the Front Office if your child will be missing school due to this error so they can be excused.
- PENNY DRIVE THIS WEEK! – HRA is having a Penny Drive this week to raise money for Catholic schools of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston as they continue to recover from Hurricane Harvey.
SPECIAL THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Thank you to the Seniors & Juniors who helped organize the Grinch-themed dance for the Upper School last weekend. Thank you to Mr. Welsh and the other chaperones as well.
- Thank you to Atlin Bell (12th), Michael Lucas (12th), Forrest Rose (12th), and Sophia Rose (10th) for clearing ice and snow from the front walkways of the campus on Tuesday morning while the rest of the High School rehearsed for the play. This was a great act of service and campus stewardship.
- Thank you to the 6th Grade boys for giving an hour of their Thursday morning in service to the school by chipping ice and spreading salt and gravel on the back walkways of the campus. This was a part of the 6th Grade efforts to perform acts of service and corporal works of mercy during the Advent season.
Absence during Final Exams
If students miss a final exam for any reason, they will have to make up the exam in the Learning Lab when school resumes in January. We cannot offer early exams for students who will have planned absences during exam week. Upper School students who miss exams will find affected courses marked Incomplete on their winter report cards. The final grade will be updated after the student makes up the exam(s).
Elementary students who miss tests at the end of the quarter will be graded at the teacher’s discretion, since those classes do not have formal exams.
- The 5th-8th Grade Basketball Team won the 2nd place trophy at the State Tournament last weekend, 11/30-12/2. Go Knights!
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling Team competed in the Grace Grizzly Grappler tournament at Grace Christian School on December 1st & 2nd. Congratulations to Thomas Biegel (11th) for his match win and to Michael Lucas (12th) for continuing his undefeated season. Go Knights!
- Congratulations to Jacinta Grandel (11th) for winning a Bronze medal in her division at the Alaska Youth Education in Shooting Sports Varsity Trap Tournament last weekend. Go Knights!
- The High School Boys’ Wrestling Team competes at the regional tournament in Seward this weekend. The results will be announced at the Morning Assembly on Monday.
- We are very excited to see so much interest in Middle School Volleyball. It is a co-ed league, so all interested boys & girls in the 5th-8th Grades are welcome to join. If your child picked-up a volleyball packet last week, please make sure to turn in the completed forms by Tuesday of this week. Curran will be on campus to collect forms and fees at lunch time on Tuesday, December 12th.
WEEK IN REVIEW
MONDAY 12/4: Morning Assembly – Miss Neumayr spoke briefly about the beginning of Advent and the new Liturgical Year. Afterward, she commended the students and teachers for their work and accomplishments of the previous week and previewed the plan for the week to come.
MONDAY 12/4: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. visited the 2nd Grade and answered their questions on a variety of topics about the priesthood and religious life.
TUESDAY 12/5: The High School Drama students rehearsed all for their matinee performance of Midsummer Night’s Dream on Thursday, December 7th. Thank you to all the other grades for rearranging their schedules and do without St. Dominic’s Hall for the day.
WEDNESDAY 12/6: Feast of St. Nicholas – The HRA community all went down to St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church for Sacred Liturgy in honor of their patron saint on his feast day. The Liturgy was beautiful and everyone was able to fit in the Church quite well. Thank you to Sofia Sidun (11th), Yordana Sidun (9th), Miss Neumayr and Mrs. Furby for setting up the church before the Liturgy. Thank you also to the choir which consisted of Dr. Walters, Mrs. Furby, and two of the St. Nicholas parishioners. Thank you to Fr. Michael Sidun for making us a part of this wonderful day and for the wonderful party after the Liturgy. The children enjoyed cocoa, doughnuts, and ice cream before they were visited by St. Nicholas who told stories about his life and led everyone in a rendition of Silent Night before posing for a picture with all the HRA students who had not celebrated St. Nicholas Day with the school before.
THURSDAY 12/7: The Upper School followed Special Schedule A rather than the published special schedule for the day in order to accommodate for the extra length of the play in the afternoon.
THURSDAY 12/7: Parents, guests, and Grades 5-12 enjoyed the High School production of Midsummer Night’s Dream for grades 5-12 in St. Dominic’s Hall. The cast performed brilliantly! Alas, the freezing rain prevented them from performing in the evening. A January performance will be announced after the Christmas Vacation. Thank you to Mrs. Mezzetti and Michael El-Khoury (’11) for directing the show and thank you to parent volunteer, Mrs. Ford, for her countless hours costuming the production.
FRIDAY 12/8: We hope all families enjoyed the day together in observance of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary. Happy feast day!
THE WEEK TO COME
MONDAY 12/11: Morning Assembly – 8:00 a.m. in St. Dominic’s Hall
MONDAY 12/11: Fr. Dominic David Maichrowicz O.P. will be visiting the 7th Grade Theology class.
TUESDAY 12/12: 3rd-12th Grades will participate in their first round of math tests as a part of the Catholic Math League’s Mathfax competition. There will be two other tests over the winter and early spring. The top three scores for each grade will be recognized at the end of the year.
TUESDAY 12/12: The Athletic Director, Mrs. Curran, will be in the library at lunch time to meet with students interested in Middle School volleyball, Middle School in-door soccer, and High School track.
TUESDAY 12/12: Br. Joshua Gatus, O.P. will be on campus observing classes in the morning.
TUESDAY 12/12: Elementary Mass in the JPII Chapel at 2:15 p.m. with Fr. Robert Whitney
WEDNESDAY 12/13: The Dominican chaplains will be on campus to hear Elementary Confessions in the afternoon.
THURSDAY 12/14: Upper School Confession, 9:00 a.m. in St. Bosco followed by Mass in the JPII Chapel at 9:45 a.m. with the Dominican chaplains
FRIDAY 12/15: Upper School Joseph Schedule – Advent decorating in the afternoon
UPCOMING IMPORTANT EVENTS
- Upper School exams on Monday, Dec. 18 & Tuesday, Dec. 19.
- K-12 Advent Brunch, 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Parents are invited to help with set-up, serving, supervision, and clean-up as a way to earn share hours while spending time with their children at this festive school event. A flier with potluck assignments for each grade will be distributed this coming week.
- The 2nd Quarter ends on Wednesday, December 20th. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. There will be no After School Care that day.
- The 3rd Quarter begins on Thursday, January 4th.
Holy Father’s Intentions: December
That the elderly, sustained by families and Christian communities, may apply their wisdom and experience to spreading the faith and forming the new generations.
- Lumen Christi High School, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, St. Mary’s School, and Our Lady of the Valley School
- The novices of the Western Dominican Province as they begin the first year of their studies: Br. John, Br. Paschal, Br. Athanasius, Br. Paul Marie, Br. Andrew Thomas, and their Novice Master, Fr. Anthony.
- 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) & 25th Infantry Division in Afghanistan (Fr. Ken Bolin, Upper School parent, is one of the chaplains going with them)
- For the victims of natural disasters all over the world, especially the people of the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico
- Mike & Shelley Gordon (benefactors of the school)
- Clyde Klump, grandfather of alumni
- Bonnie Bezousek and family after the loss of her father.
- Eric Pallister (family friend of the Reimans) in ICU after a fall rock climbing in Montana.
- The people of Houston, TX dealing with the damage caused by hurricane and floods, including Miss Neumayr’s brother-in-law’s family, who lost their home and vehicles.
- Kathy Conley (sister of one of the cantors at St. Nicholas of Myra parish) in the hospital in critical condition (please pray for recovery)
- Emily Peters (a friend of Miss Verreux’s) in the hospital
- For the intentions of the Benton family
- Gabriella Schilling (friend of Mrs. Stramilov) in need of healing prayers
- Prayers for the Droege family’s Intentions
- For the community of Wasilla Lake Christian School after the car accident that injured three students on their jr. high soccer team and killed their goal keeper.
- Hoa Pham (paternal grandmother of Mason & Mimii Nguyen)
- The victims of the Texas shooting 11/2/17
- Therese Syren, recovering from surgery for a kidney stone
- Kolbe Kinder (infant son of Mrs. Kinder) having seizures
- Harmston family, special intentions
- For Anna Abbott, recovering from a miscarriage & surgery
- Antwaun Carrothers (friend of Dr. Walters), having a risky surgery on 12/8/17
- A.J. Fisher (former HRA chaplain) recovering from knee replacement surgery. (Mrs. Shaut reports he is recovering well. Thank you for your prayers.)
Expectant Mothers :
- Maisie Klocek, (friend of Miss Neumayr & Mrs. Schirda)
- Mrs. Denzer (HRA parent)
- Mrs. Kinder (Upper School Music Teacher)
- Mary (Pearce) Ahonen (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting the 2nd of March
- Cecilia (Pearce) Latt (daughter of Mrs. Pearce) expecting a boy the 1st of May
- Elena Begojevec (Mrs. Stramilov’s sister-in-law)
New Mothers, their babies, and family:
- Mrs. Shoop & Josiah
- Mrs. Klump & Mary Ruth
- Megan O’Lena & Kilian Wayne
- Judy McArthey & Reuben Jerome
- Mrs. Kinney (former HRA teacher) & Thomas
- Sheen Bjelland (father of Eric & Joseph)
- Mr. Koop (Maria Koop’s father) diagnosed with cancer
- Darrell Murray (Maria Koop’s grandfather) in the hospital with a heart condition and advanced dementia
- Cole Abel (father of alumni) has stage 4 cancer
- Tim Holder (brother of Neil Holder) undergoing surgery and chemotherapy for bladder cancer
- Maggi (sister of Miss Verreux’s friend) with terminal cancer
- Ron Pollock (friend of Miss Verreux) in radiation treatment during the month of October
- Tony Lewkowsky (former HRA parent & Board member) recovering from a heart condition
- Naomi Clements (family friend of the Furby family) fighting childhood cancer
Rest in Peace (R.I.P.)
- Barbara Doerner (former Principal)
- Andy Coldiron (former teacher)
- Tom Neumayr, uncle & godfather of Miss Neumayr
- Tim Rickert, family friend of Miss Neumayr
- Gerald Webster Bergford, father of Bonnie Bezousek, diocesan employee
- Jane O’Connor, friend of Dr. Walters
- Annie Hardoy, (Mrs. O’Neill’s mother)
- Michael Martin & Michael J. Martin Jr. (friends of Mrs. Stramilov who passed at ages 90 and 5 respectively)
- Jeff Scott (a friend of Miss Verreux)
- Carol Klump (grandmother of alumnae)
- Gene LeBlanc (grandfather of Mrs. Stramilov) who passed in May
- Mary Trueblood (mother of a benefactor)
- Andrew Caleb Erlwein (cousin of Dr. Walters)
- Liz Marquez (grandmother of Mitchell Marquez)
- Margaret Briganti (friend of Mrs. Holder)
- Robin Tanner II (Mrs. Harmston’s cousin) killed in car accident, leaving behind a wife and two children
- Dorothy Foos (Mrs. Stramilov’s great aunt)
- Manuel Marfill (godfather of Joseph Bjelland)
- Gene & Roma LeBlanc (Mrs. Stramilov’s grandparents)